CannonTour - The Armies of Summer (Wildland Firefighting) Pt 1/3

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Beartooth Continued

Continuing to climb.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It gets a little dark and wet in the clouds up here.
    [​IMG]

Snowstorms happen year-around. The pass is also known for strong winds and severe thunderstorms up here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding up high.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can visit this fire lookout.
    [​IMG]

Chief Joseph Scenic Byway
    [​IMG]

In 1877 Chief Joseph was making a break for Canada as he and 700 of his people (and 2,000 horses) were being pursued by the Army.
    [​IMG]

Joe knew if he took the easy way that the Army would have him. Instead they pulled a deception, took the hard way, and managed to get ahead of pursuing troops by about two days.

I was looking for a marker about Frank Hammitt but didn't find it. Frank was one of the first forest rangers around here. Some folks found Frank's horse wandering around. Oh-oh, time to start looking for Frank. They found him on a ledge over the edge of a cliff. He was dead . . . and pretty ripe. He had a pile of smoked cigarettes next to him. No one really knows what happened.

Sunshine Bridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of day 6. Another great day of riding.
  2. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been to Redlodge several times, it is a great jumping off point for the beartooth pass. A little on the touristy side, but, that's what keeps the place running.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And at the top of the beartooth pass, there is a ski lift for the U.S. ski team. It was pointed out to me by a local when stopped in construction traffic. Impressive, to say the least.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There certainly is. :D
    [​IMG]
    pfdskipper, MYUMPH and chudzikb like this.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Cody WY to Mountain Home ID 542 miles

[​IMG]

Heading back through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone. I had planned to run a couple of loops in the park but it was too congested for my taste.

[​IMG]

Heading west.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That big dam I mentioned on the way over is just up the gorge and just around the corner.
    [​IMG]

More tunnels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another view of the mansion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading up the pass.
    [​IMG]

Sylvan Pass
    [​IMG]

Through a burned area.
    [​IMG]

Steamy
    [​IMG]

Construction
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One traffic jam after another.
    [​IMG]

This traffic jam may have been legit since there was a bison blocking the lane.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, the ranger waves for me to go around. Just then the bison decided to bust out of the jam and cut right into my path. We both stopped abruptly and looked at each other. The ranger was banging on his car door trying to get the bison to keep going. Not so good on a motorcycle. I read a news story the other day where one of these pitched a girl 10 feet in the air without much warning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

West entrance. I wish I would have checked my odometer to see how many miles long the line was as I was passing in the opposite direction.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, staticPort, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    West Yellowstone Base

[​IMG]

Smokejumper base here.
    [​IMG]

Five gallon water container rigged for a drop.
    [​IMG]

Cutaway of an equipment pack for two jumpers. The jumpers parachute in and then their equipment is dropped to them. This box will hold them for a couple of days.
    [​IMG]

Meeting and training room. Fire and fire weather briefing every morning.
    [​IMG]

Packing a chute.
    [​IMG]

Chutes packed and ready.
    [​IMG]

You pack and jump your own chute.
    [​IMG]

This is a round chute. Some that have the qualification jump squares. The squares are more steerable (and dangerous). The different types of chutes go out at different altitudes with the squares jumping higher.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These folks make their own jump suits and other gear.
    [​IMG]

And they do an excellent job with it. They can customize things to work with their individual set-ups. More on this at a later stop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parachutes must be hoisted up and inspected after every jump. I'll get you some better pictures of that further down the road.
    [​IMG]

Cargo ready to be dropped.
    [​IMG]

Supplies and equipment. Like military paratroopers, they are lightly equipped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For small cargo, they make parachutes. For personnel, they buy commercial canopies but build their own harness to connect it to. For large loads it looks like they have some military chutes.
    [​IMG]
    Shaggie, siyeh, bomose and 3 others like this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 West Yellowstone Base Continued

Jumpers are on roster so they know who the next stick of jumpers to be deployed will be.
    [​IMG]

They keep the gear they will wear ready. They have two minutes to get dressed (including chute) once they get the word. They practice this over and over. I don't think I could get into my riding suit in two minutes. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They mount face shields to a sports helmet like a rock climbing helmet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something really smart is that they sew a harness into their pants. That way if they get hung up in a tree they can rig their let down line to their pants and rappel down. More about that getting hung up later on.
    [​IMG]
    Holaday, siyeh, staticPort and 3 others like this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Yellowstone Base Continued

There were big fires in Alaska and many of the resources from the lower 48 were sent up there. Their contract plane was sent to Alaska. For now they are using this USFS Twin Otter. I think I have a photo of their contract plane from when I visited here in the past that I'll share in a bit.
    [​IMG]

Jumpers on one side and their gear (ready to be dropped to them) on the other.
    [​IMG]

The chart has fire frequencies listed for the various forests they might be called to. This allows them to set up their radios on the way to the fire.
    [​IMG]

Squares are connected to a drogue chute so they don't need as substantial of a connection when they go out.
    [​IMG]

Round chutes and some cargo use deployment bags that will drag outside the airplane once the jumper goes out so they have a much more substantial connection.
    [​IMG]

I was a paratrooper when I was a young soldier and all of this brought back a flood of memories. We had a great time chatting about the similarities and differences with our experiences.
    [​IMG]

The streamers simulate the descent of a round parachute. Once they think they have things lined up and the wind accounted for they toss a couple of these to see where they land. If they hit the selected area they know they have it figured right and they can line up to drop jumpers.
    [​IMG]

Air sickness bags and earplugs. It can be an exciting ride down low in the thermals.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice glass panel.
    [​IMG]

Knees in the breeze and ready to push off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shaggie, dc_ok, Holaday and 6 others like this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Yellowstone Base Continued

There is an air tanker set-up here.
    [​IMG]

Let me share some pix of that in operation from when I was here when I rode the Great Divide some years back. I reposted it below to save you the trouble to clicking to another report.

I took a short side trip over to the smokejumper and aerial tanker base at West Yellowstone.
    [​IMG]

This P-3 Orion is for dropping retardant on fires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was talking with a P-3 pilot once and he told me that the configuration of the engines and wings made it easy to deal with an oncoming stall. He said the engines move so much air across the wings that a little tap on the throttles would tidy things up nicely.
    [​IMG]

Loading retardant. This thing carries around 2,500 gallons.
    [​IMG]

This is the retardant mixing/storage station. Retardant is really fertilizer. Red dye is added to mark drops for return applications. They are usually dropped ahead of the flames to dampen things, but sometimes they are dropped right on the flames to cool and suppress the fire.
    [​IMG]

Edit: I learned on the current trip that most retardant comes in concentrated liquid form. The powdered material that you have to mix is not used very much and probably only in special situations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a lead plane that is used for aerial supervision. It goes out ahead of the drop planes.
    [​IMG]

These guys got a resource tasking so they headed out.
    [​IMG]

Important to keep a spare in case you have to pull over along side the airway enroute to change a tire.
    [​IMG]

These guys went out right behind the lead plane.
    [​IMG]

Later that day I was watching The Weather Channel when I saw film of this plane making a drop on a fire in the State of Washington.
    [​IMG]

This Dornier is a contract plane they use at this base for dropping smokejumpers.
    [​IMG]

It will haul one pilot, one spotter, eight jumpers, and their gear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are 21 jumpers assigned here. Parachute loft.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokejumpers jumped into Madison Canyon to provide assistance and first aid after the quake.
    [​IMG]

Another fatal slide as a result of that quake.
    [​IMG]
    http://visitmt.com/history/Montana_the_Magazine_of_Western_History/Spring03/earthquake.htm

Individual Accounts of the Quake
    Shaggie, siyeh, bomose and 5 others like this.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Continued On to Blackfoot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice to see ORV riders being able to ride into town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Central tire inflation system. We used something like this in the military to adjust for traction on various surfaces.
    [​IMG]

Some of the route is on the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. The falls are worth a look. I stopped and checked them out on a previous ride.
    [​IMG]

The Saint Tony dunes are a great motorized recreation opportunity. By the way, Erik Estrada of CHIPs fame is a full fledged cop in St Anthony. Dean Cain (Superman from Lois and Clark) is a reserve officer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Teton Dam, built on the Teton River, Idaho, failed on June 5, 1976, causing substantial loss of life and property. Failure was attributed to piping through the joints in unsealed rock beneath the grout cap. Failure may also been caused by hydraulic fracturing of the core material. The breach released 2,000,000 cfs into the Teton River Canyon, causing widespread destruction.

Downstream
    [​IMG]

I heard they got advice on how to build the dam from an online forum. :evil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Saturday, June 5, 1976, at 7:30 a.m., a muddy leak appeared, suggesting sediment was in the water, but engineers did not believe there was a problem. By 9:30 a.m. the downstream face of the dam had developed a wet spot which began to discharge water at 20 to 30 cubic feet per second (0.57 to 0.85 m3/s) and the embankment material began to wash out. Crews with bulldozers were sent to plug the leak, but were unsuccessful. Local media appeared at the site and at 11:15 officials told the county sheriff's office to evacuate downstream residents. Work crews were forced to flee on foot as the widening gap, now larger than a swimming pool, swallowed their equipment. The operators of two bulldozers caught in the eroding embankment were pulled to safety with ropes.

At 11:55 a.m. MDT (UTC−17:55), the crest of the dam sagged and collapsed into the reservoir; two minutes later the remainder of the right-bank third of the main dam wall disintegrated. Over 2,000,000 cubic feet per second (57,000 m3/s) of sediment-filled water emptied through the breach into the remaining 6 miles (10 km) of the Teton River canyon, after which the flood spread out and shallowed on the Snake River Plain. By 8:00 p.m. that evening, the reservoir had completely emptied, although over two-thirds of the dam wall remained standing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Figures . . . the clouds clear as I move away from the Tetons.
    [​IMG]

When the dam busted, much of Rexburg was flooded for several days.
    [​IMG]

Some famous carousel there. Now it is indoors.
    [​IMG]

Idaho's only antique wooden carousel.
    [​IMG]

Small trailer for fueling helicopters. Some contract companies have fuel trucks, big fuel trucks, or trailers like this to help support the aircraft. At 45 gallons per hour on an A Star (this is an R44), 500 gallons would go a long way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Philo Farnsworth is from here. While here he made some crucial contributions to the development of television.
    [​IMG]

SPC Jimmy Nakayama is from Rigby (here). This is the soldier that was depicted in "We Were Soldiers" during the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley. He and some others were accidentally napalmed and he died shortly thereafter.

Western author Vardis Fisher is from here. He wrote Mountain Men that was adapted into the movie Jeremiah Johnson.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a beautiful 360 degree sculpture in this roundabout. Too bad I couldn't capture it well.
    [​IMG]

The UP donated this 1912 depot to Blackfoot.
    [​IMG]

There was a big fuss about turning it into a spud museum.
    [​IMG]
    Bultaco206, Shaggie, Gerken and 3 others like this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Continued

Let's go nuclear for a bit.

[​IMG]

There is a nice BLM fire station here in Atomic City (or what is left of Atomic City). It is a nice facility. I can see why this is important since the area is home to the Idaho National Laboratory. There are some significant nuclear research projects going on here. More than 50 reactors have been built here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just read that a wildfire threatened the lab within the past couple of weeks. Testing the air for radiation as a result of the fire.
    [​IMG]

Looks like Atomic City is down for the count.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They do have a raceway though.
    [​IMG]

I thought about trying to ride to the top of Big Southern Butte. Pretty prominent feature here.
    [​IMG]

A lot of stuff has been going on around here over the years.
    [​IMG]

The lab has a bunch of clusters that are all pretty secure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Continued

More nuclear stuff.

This breeder reactor was one of the first to generate electricity.
    [​IMG]

It is decommissioned now. You can take a tour.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was another facility nearby that has been dismantled. I could see the site.
    [​IMG]

But I couldn't get to it. At first I thought it might have been related to that accident they had here that killed three right away, but it wasn't.
    [​IMG]

This lead shielded railroad engine was to be used to tow a nuclear airplane in and out of the hangar.
    [​IMG]

They did some testing on some nuclear airplane engines here to prove they could do it.
    [​IMG]

The crew would be in a lead shielded cockpit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They figured on 120 hour flights. Hope they have a lot of coffee on board.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wondered if they would "nuke" these meals to warm them up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a little hot?
    [​IMG]
  13. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    You put a lot of time and effort into these reports. Thank you. And thank you for your service to our country.
    staticPort and Cannonshot like this.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Continued

Arco and Lava

[​IMG]

These disappearing rivers pop up on the other end of the state. Some pix from another ride I did out here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arco was originally named "Root Hog". Someone suggested they name it after some German dude that was involved in radio transmissions and vacuum tubes.

[​IMG]

Modern petroglyphs.
    [​IMG]

It looks like they buried a submarine in the town park to commemorate the town's long association with the Navy and nuclear power.
    [​IMG]

Arco was the first community in the world to be lit by atomic power. That first occurred as an experiment for about an hour back in 1955.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like my eyes were a little blurry from dust. I saw plenty of lava on this trip without taking a tour of Craters of the Moon.
    [​IMG]

Enormous fields of lava made it difficult for people to traverse the area.
    [​IMG]

Nasty stuff.
    [​IMG]

Rolled on to Mountain Home and spent the night there, A great day of riding and checking things out.
  15. busdriver803

busdriver803 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All I can say is your trip reports always amaze me. The amount of research, the photos and the number of miles you put in each day are out of my league. I'm always looking forward to your next report! Thank you!
    orv, dano619 and Cannonshot like this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 8 Heading to Salmon ID

419 miles

[​IMG]

First leg.
    [​IMG]

Mountain Home had a penny mural. That is pretty much gone. Now it is a wishing wall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mountain Home AFB is nearby. They now have F-15s. This is an old F-111.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a lot of stuff going on here at a lot of levels. The place was created to implement a Federal Wildland Fire Management Act.
    [​IMG]

They also produce unified guidance and handbooks to standardize procedures for agencies.
    [​IMG]

Since they are already in the emergency business they also contribute to managing other disasters like floods, earthquakes, and the like.
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of sub-elements on the campus.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like bags of dry retardant waiting to be mixed.
    [​IMG]

If I ever wondered if an airport had an air tanker base I could usually look at the aerial imagery and see if there was a red stain on the ramp to quickly zoom in on it.
    [​IMG]

We'll get into the retardant and air tanker thing a little deeper further on in the ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of things coordinated here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of equipment stored and maintained here. Some new equipment developed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bultaco206, Shaggie, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 8 Continued

Toward Ketchum/Sun Valley

Time for an artillery picture.
    [​IMG]

Bradleys
    [​IMG]

Tank
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bultaco206, Shaggie, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 8 Continued

Sun Valley toward Salmon

[​IMG]

Sun Valley refers to the area that is really a cluster of towns around the ski resort. Ketchum has/had some celebs like Peter Cetera, Scott Glen, Tom Hanks, Steve Miller, Ed Veisters, Adam West, and Ann Sothern to name a few.
    [​IMG]

The President of the Union Pacific was a skier and he wanted to develop a ski destination that people would take the train to. He sent out a professional to scout some of the more notable places in the west to try to identify a location. Just as the guy was about to give up he heard that the UP spent more money clearing snow in this area than they did in other areas. The scout zoomed in on this area and the ski resort was born.

[​IMG]

Hemingway used to hang out here until he blew himself away with a shotgun.
    [​IMG]

During WWII the Navy took over the ski resort and used it as a convalescent hospital. A few movies and TV shows shot here. Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Marilyn Monroe, Lucille Ball, and some Kennedys would visit here a lot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to go over Galena Summit. The Salmon River starts up on the other side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much of a river yet.
    [​IMG]

I went looking for the old Pole Creek Ranger Station.
    [​IMG]

This article talks about firefighting from that cabin back in the old days.
    [​IMG]

I like to swing through some of these small airports to see what is on the ramp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Redfish Lake. It is named for the sockeye salmon that used to return here in such quantities that the lake shimmered red. Not many make it past the dams to get here now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another scenic byway.
    [​IMG]

The Salmon River continues to build.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunbeam Hot Springs. People sit in hot spots in the river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 1937 the CCC built this bathhouse. It had a pipe to took hot water through the river to cool a little before returning it to the bath house.
    [​IMG]

This dam didn't work out.
    [​IMG]

There is a lot of interesting stuff on a side trip just a few miles north. I'll share this link to it from one of my other rides. Yankee Fork Dredge and Custer.
    Bultaco206, Shaggie, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm glad you enjoy them. If I am going someplace, I like to learn about it so I can get the full benefit of being there. Sharing the information afterward sometimes helps someone else with a trip of their own.
    orv, Shaggie, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 8 Continued

Bayhorse Ghost Town

[​IMG]

Stopped to talk with an engine crewman.
    [​IMG]

Engines come in classes related to their size and capabilities. These small engines can get off road.
    [​IMG]

Not much water. They do have portable pumps. You can rig those pumps in series to push some water uphill quite a distance. When these folks respond to a fire they might be there a couple of days to ensure it is completely out. They may also be hiking in or up to a fire on foot. They carry their life support equipment on board so they can stay out when needed.
    [​IMG]

Improved version of the traditional pulaski - a super pulaski. I spent some time chatting with this fellow about how he and his crew might fight some fires on the mountain just across the river. Lots of options and they all involved a lot of effort.
    [​IMG]

This guy comes out from New Jersey every season to fight fires. Pretty common.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

212,000 pounds of silver.
    [​IMG]

Not much left now.
    [​IMG]

Coke wagons. They differ slightly from Pepsi wagons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading up a gulch looking for an 1880s silver mining ghost town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a large stamp mill here.
    [​IMG]

Beehive ovens for making fuel for the mill.
    [​IMG]

Some material I read said the place is still pretty toxic due to the nature of the milling that was done here.
    [​IMG]

This place started with a failed gold mine. As luck would have it, they soon found silver.
    [​IMG]