CannonTracks - Great Divide Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Cannonshot, Sep 13, 2010.

1. bighog85

bighog85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha, that's funny, I didn't read that far I guess. Well, free is better!
    LakeAbilene and Cannonshot like this.
  2. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    and the thread continues. I did this route S-N 5 years ago. Great stuff. Anybody know how the route differs from Kevins three different routes, green, blue and red? Anybody done an overlay? thanks Also I know that I had very few if any dead ends last time.. I am worried about that with Kevins. IDK
  3. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought part of " adventure riding " is the unknown, surprises, fire closures, detours, landslides, weather related events.

I am not sure what your second questions is. But, I'll see if I can address Overlay:

1) I've used GPSKevin's MABDR in past. He uses an overlay map showing the Blue ( primary ), Green ( easy / paved ), and Red ( hero section ). Very easy. Just enable the map once you pop the microSD card into your GPS device. You can just follow the chevron pattern. Although, Kevin does also provide Tracks and key waypoints.

2) To compare the two routes ( CannonTracks vs. GPSKevin ) simply load both into Garmin Basecamp. Then spend endless hours clicking between two map sets.

If you have ride reports, could you post some links.
  4. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Part of the benefit of these tracks are not riding two hours to find a dead end due to poor routing. I can do that without help. I have no problem with Mother Nature adding her two cents. I have heard that some of Kevin’s routes can’t be ridden due to dead ends etc. I have no experience with him. So I was wondering 1) if his routing is clean and 2) how his route compares with Cannonshots tried and true.
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would contact Kevin directly. He does the CDR annually with other riders. Maybe twice a year. I am sure he can point to other inmates and / or ride reports by them. I am sure they would have the most recent closures etc. I am actually heading to Baja with Kevin and a crew next week. In meantime, I 'll see if any of the inmates I know who did GPSKevin's CDR last year have any updates.

One 2018 CDR posting I found using gpsKevin's map set:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/cont...outh-my-thoughts-and-lessons-learned.1331852/
    GR8ADV likes this.
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. bighog85

bighog85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used Kevin’s tracks last summer and to be honest I wasn’t terribly happy with them. We had multiple dead ends on both the main route and a couple of red routes we wanted to do. Luckily none of them were multiple hours to then have to turn around but it’s still annoying sitting there on the trail trying to find a new route around your planned route. They are free so I can’t complain too much but just wanted to let you know.
    GR8ADV likes this.
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Another source ....good source....I've used in past is the Cycling Association of America. They have very detail maps and updates from cyclist. I vaguely remember they pointed me to someone's GPS tracks if you call them. Good outfit. You can find more information at:
    https://www.adventurecycling.org/ro...ute-network/great-divide-mountain-bike-route/

The Cycling Association of America maps are very detailed and have tons of service information like where to stay, camps, food, emergency contacts. Also very detail turn by turn information. I purchased the maps for my first trip.

I am not sure when gpsKevin did CDR last. Just give him a call or shoot him an email. He might have more current information.

Just keep in mind that sections of the route will be different each season due to weather, weather damage, land lease / use changes, some property owner who decides he has had enough of bikes / cyclist etc. cutting through, fires, etc. Always carry extra gas, good maps, and GPS.

Kam
  9. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    What is the latest info on the max distance between fuel stops on cannonshots tracks? Thanks.
  10. monstermashcash

monstermashcash Riding away from Responsibilities

Oddometer:
    What garmin background topo maps are you guys using?
    I have downloaded one for each state, but I figure there are probably more comprehensive all-in-one maps that I'm not finding on GPSfiledepot
    Thanks
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done most of my trips with Garmin Topo 100K.
    monstermashcash likes this.
  12. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recollect my Garmin Montana 600 series came with Garmin Topo 100K U.S. I purchased the City Navigator NT for the Garmin Montana 600. So, I can use the same GPS for both turn-by-turn navigation through city. Then for xBDR and CDR type stuff, I switch the map over to Topo 100K. Detailed enough for these well established roads. I don't do any single tracking.

You can find the Topo 100K U.S.A. in a number of online outlets including:

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-...wC6BF5rG_78DI_DxgZdr-bHmu24Ai9VBoCkp8QAvD_BwE
  13. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home yesterday from CDT and used GPSKevin. No dead ends on blue. One reroute due to fire. Not a map issue. Would recommend. This was his purchased SD card. One slightly incorrect on routing, but I zoomed out a little and could see a short cut had been removed so about 400 yards took me around and back on map route.
    Longest was 230 miles on Divide basin in Wyoming. I was N to S so wind at my back. Great gas mileage. S to N will be against so expect mileage to suffer. DR650 used 4.6 gallons between.
  14. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    And you’re posting this here...why?
  15. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Newstrom28 congratulations . Definitely share the link to your Ride Report when you post it. Love to see some current pics of CDR.
  16. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Answers to questions asked on this page.

"What is the latest info on the max distance between fuel stops on cannonshots tracks? Thanks."
    "Part of the benefit of these tracks are not riding two hours to find a dead end due to poor routing. I can do that without help. I have no problem with Mother Nature adding her two cents. I have heard that some of Kevin’s routes can’t be ridden due to dead ends etc. I have no experience with him. So I was wondering 1) if his routing is clean and 2) how his route compares with Cannonshots tried and true."
    Pdrhound likes this.
  17. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect that the reason for Hardworking Dogs question was because this thread is specifically about Cannonshot's CDR tracks. As I recall ( I can't say I read back to verify so I may be mistaken) you were referencing GPSKevins. FWIW Cannonshot shares his tracks for free simply because he is a great guy wanting to support the sport, not for $.
    HardWorkingDog and KiloGraham like this.
  18. KiloGraham

KiloGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen...
    +1
    Great ambassador of the hobby.

Love his ride reports and GPX tracks and he always responds quickly if you have a question about a section of the ride.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  19. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone used the cannon track this summer. Going to do this ride from Bailey Colorado north in August next year. O see this thread will be 10 years old next year, but I assume the tracks have been updated