CannonTracks - Great Divide Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Cannonshot, Sep 13, 2010.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    SMH, again.

Why speak up and let everyone see your ignorance when you could've just not posted and kept that particular secret to yourself?
    Pdrhound and GR8ADV like this.
  2. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:

Why you gotta hate? I meant what I said about no disrespect to Cannonshot and all his amazing ride reports and contributions here. But I wish someone would have expressed that opinion above to me before I went and road it this past September. I totally get that the CDR is not just the Colorado section and I wasn't expressing any opinion about the rest of it - just the part that passes through Colorado. It's just my opinion but since I've just ridden both this fall, it's an informed one.

Time moves on and things change. The COBDR didn't exist before but now it does and I think it's a service to all ADV inmates that are thinking about this ride that there's a more beautiful, varied, and in some places more challenging ride (with workarounds) in the COBDR. I'll go back and ride the rest of the CDR someday but when I do, I'll jump over to the COBDR through Colorado and reconnect to the CDR track in Del Norte or Chama.
    WFO1 likes this.
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    No hate, I'd hope if we ran into each other on the road somewhere we'd have a good time sharing a few beers.

It seems to me though, that Cannonshot's Great Divide Ride is a unique creation that has a certain value for its intent of following the Great Divide route. It's not just a matter of stringing together a bunch of the "best" routes through a particular place. There's a plan behind the chosen tracks, and I know I thoroughly enjoyed following the plan from start to (almost) finish.

You're welcome to your opinion, obviously, but saying stuff like you'd be a fool to follow these tracks (my paraphrase) doesn't respect the plan, no matter how you preface it.
    KTM Mike, PittsDriver and GR8ADV like this.
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of great rides in the Rockies and in Colorado that people can choose based on their preferences for their own trip. Since people's tastes vary, there is no preferred path. This thread is about a motorcycle version of the Great Divide Ride. People that come to this thread are seeking information about that ride.

I wouldn't mind riding the GDR again since it was such a great overall experience. Very scenic and entertaining for sure.

I also put together a CO specific ride for people to enjoy. Just one of many options for people to consider based on what they want to do with a particular trip. I wouldn't begin to say whether it was a better or worse option as compared to any others since that is a matter of individual preferences. One reason I share a GPX for a ride like that is people can draw from it as they put together a ride of their own - one that meets their expectations and preferences. The idea of sharing comprehensive ride reports is to provide enough information about a particular ride that people can make informed choices about what they want to do instead of only having someone else's opinion based on someone else's preferences.

Again, there are a lot of options for riding just about anywhere and people can make their own judgements about what they want to do on a particular trip.

Let's move on. :D
    WFO1, surferbum, guavadude and 2 others like this.
  5. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. That's my bad for phrasing it that way and my apologies to all that read it. I was trying to point out to folks reading the CDR thread that there's a much more exciting path through Colorado but I will acknowledge that I did that poorly in my post.

I'll add that if you're a novice off-road/ADV rider looking for an easy ride, the CDR through Colorado is better than the COBDR which was designed for the intermediate or better rider.

Not sure what the etiquette is here but I'll go back and change my first post on this.
    EZ-D likes this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    It seems pretty irrelevant to talk about a BDR in this thread about a completely different ride. Might be best to start a COBDR thread to talk about that other great ride in a more appropriate place.

You may have missed the point that the personal opinion "better" is based on a personal preference. Others may have a different idea of what a "better" ride is based on their own individual preferences. Any ride. Yet you still want to post here in this thread that has nothing to do with the COBDR about your personal opinion of the COBDR. :scratch
    surferbum and KTM Mike like this.
  7. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, please feel free to delete or move my posts in this thread. No worries from me and my apologies again if I've upset the sensibilities of anyone here. I've never been one that thought the only "proper" way to ride an adventure was to ride over every bread crumb on the track. Having riden both the CDR and COBDR in Colorado just a few months ago, it was my intention for inmates researching this ride to have it on their radar that there are other well defined choices when you get to Colorado and I'll leave it there as to which is better. As you said, that's for each rider to decide for themselves.
    EZ-D likes this.
  8. Mike_G

Mike_G Exasperated

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the input. I’m planning a trip to CO and will want to make the best use of my time for my priorities. And, for me, a brief comparison of this ride vs. COBDR riding is useful and hardly off topic. Thanks for that.
    WFO1 likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I can help a few understand things using a more deliberate explanation. There are thousands of inmates on this site and many of them have personal opinions or preferences about rides they have taken along the way. Each are free to report in threads that are particular to those rides or offer opinions in response to questions in a trip planning thread. (We have a place here for asking opinions about multiple rides - Trip Planning. If you ever want opinions about different rides just ask the question there. You'll get plenty of varying opinions that you can sort out for yourself.) But what happens when people jump into threads that have nothing to do with the unrelated rides they have personal preferences for and start posting unrelated information? Arguments break out over poor form and even more visitors can be encouraged to express their own preferences in response to someone else's unrelated remarks. Just as when someone is doing a ride report, it can be a problem when people start interjecting unrelated information that doesn't directly address the topic of the report. Pretty soon, things aren't working so well.

This site is flush with information about many rides - particularly in Colorado. The site is already well organized and has additional tools available to search for very specific information. It doesn't take much effort to shop and compare between the various alternatives to figure out what an individual might want to do based on their preferences or draw from others to put together one's own preferred vision for a ride. We don't need to start seeding threads specific to one ride with unrelated information or personal opinions about a completely different ride. That can inspire more unrelated observations about many other rides that some others want to mention as their preferred alternatives. That sometimes turns into a mess. Actually, it happened right here in this thread some years ago when someone was trying very hard to discourage this ride (including posting misinformation) and push a completely unrelated ride that he preferred. Many of those posts have been deleted and coincidentally that person was eventually banned from the site for a variety of reasons including similar behavior elsewhere on the site.

Here is another example. Some people are in a conversation about Italian food. At the time of their discussion they are interested in Italian food. Someone butts into their discussion and tells them that seafood is better based on the interjector's personal preferences. The people that are talking about Italian food may also like seafood and may go to seafood restaurants, but their conversation today is specific to Italian food. If they were seeking information about seafood, they would have engaged in a conversation about seafood. Maybe they've been eating seafood all week already and now want a different experience. Now imagine that this conversation, on a downtown sidewalk, is overheard by more and more people that have other personal food preferences and each of them chimes in with information about their personal preferences about completely unrelated cuisine and restaurants and how some of the other opinions are wrong based on their own preferences. Pretty soon the conversation is so contaminated with so many interjections of unrelated information that it is difficult to get through the original topic of Italian food. (Maybe some would just give up and go to McDonalds instead, I dunno.) :D

I hope this makes it clear why it is important to try to keep some order in how we organize the information on the site so that the format will remain usable without a lot of unnecessary distraction. Apart from someone doing individual research in the appropriate forums or using search tools, we also have an excellent Trip Planning forum. Someone that may not even know where to begin can go there for suggestions and ask for opinions about each of the rides they are interested in. Some contributors in a trip planning query thread may even suggest additional rides that aren't already visible in the conversation if it is appropriate to do so. Even though opinions aren't authoritative because they vary so much with people's individual preferences, it does give people asking questions something to start with as they look into things for themselves and form their own opinions and preferences.

I hope this helps put things into a better perspective. :D
    EZ-D, surferbum, eddyturn and 3 others like this.
  10. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    @Cannonshot, thank you for keeping this updated. I plan to do the CDT in 2021 and I was concerned about the CO portion as I heard through the rumor mill that much of the original was now closed to motorized vehicles. I see you have an updated bit for CO. I just starting to do a little research and planning now and will complete my plans next winter.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I hope you have a wonderful trip!
    KiloGraham likes this.
  12. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did your ride Cannonshot in fall of a wet 2013 but could not do anything in far west MT or anything over Union Pass into the Big Empty down to Rawlings. A very rainy and muddy monsoon season. Made it back to CO and had to bail in Southpark as everything was washed out and I got hopelessly stuck in mud. Had to use the non emergency Spot but mother dispatch sent the National Guard pretty much. Decided to buy an inReach device after that so I can sent out a help via text messages.

anyway, would like to hit those sections in June after the MOA rally in MT on my way back to southern CO. Same tracks will work. Thanks for those but I ain’t doing Fleecer. Still.
    Cannonshot and HardWorkingDog like this.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the weather turned that into a heck of a trip! Quite the adventure. :D
  14. Ol Shenanigan

Ol Shenanigan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May I ask where the updates are. Planning for an August departure from the South.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  16. Ol Shenanigan

Ol Shenanigan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot likes this.
  17. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    One thing to remember when planning these longer trips is that more technical riding takes more time. If you’re on a set time frame to accomplish the entire ride, you need to make choices along the way with the entire trip in mind.

I took Cannonshot’s excellent intel and combined it with other rides and BDRs to create my own LWRR loop. Keeping an eye on the clock while passing up amazing trails was a constant struggle everyday!

If you can, give yourself more time than you think you’ll need and keep your options open.
  18. Ol Shenanigan

Ol Shenanigan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We plan on doing this over three weeks. We will also do a mock run out to Big Bend for a little practice.
  19. L.V.

L.V. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,
    There is a CDR ride highlighted on the REVER app.
    Is this yours?
    surferbum and KiloGraham like this.
  20. Barry91

Barry91 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, it's been a long time since I've been to Nebraska