CannonTracks - Lake Superior Circle Route

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Superceded by this GPX and this ride report.

For those that are thinking about taking a lap around Lake Superior, I have a route that begins at Aerostich in Duluth, MN, loops the lake, and runs back to Superior, WI.

I included many points of interest with the route that will save people some of the research.

The route is intended for bike bikes, but there are some short stretches of gravel in the Upper Peninsula.

Since I still can't upload files since the server change, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send the file. I'll soon have these files hosted someplace else and will post the link once it it up and running.

Here are some maps of the route.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures are available in this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167401

More info on the Sault Ste Marie area in this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164626

More info on the Keweenaw in this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541792

and here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582473

Click here to download tracks from another site.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    These tracks are now available again for download. Many thanks to fellow ADVer deputyjones who offered some server space.

Go to http://dsam-mi.org/GPS_Files/ and you will see a directory of folders that contain the files. You should be able to choose the proper directory without much trouble. The individual files will have names that are the same as or similar to the file names listed when the files were hosted on ADV.

The files are listed as .zip files. If you left click/open the file, you will open it in your computer's temporary internet directory. Depending on how you have your computer set up, clicking on the .gpx will open the file with Mapsource so you can look at it. Remember, it is in your temporary internet files.

To save the file in one of your neatly filed directories, "left click/save" or "right click/save target as" and put it where you want to keep it.

Some of the files have an associated spreadsheet file with points of interest (Black Hills, Pony Express, etc). Same procedures apply.

Happy to have quick and easy access to these files again. :thumb
  3. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Glad to help and happy these are now available to everyone!

Thanks for putting them together Cannonshot.
  4. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    With my old body despising cold weather so much, I missed a lot of what the Northern Shores of Lake Superior had to offer. All I wanted to do after getting the ice off my Bandit 1250S in Thunder Falls, was to get around the lake and back South. Maybe another day as I also missed going to the Falls.
  5. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tracks. I'm planning on riding that exact route after our Annual Latin American Riders' Rallye in northern Minnesota.

But, I thought Aerostich was in Duluth. But, wherever it is I can certainly use this.

Thanks for all of the tracks you put here. I'm sure you're helping lots of ADVers besides me. :super:clap:thumb
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Go by the tracks, not by my remarks in the first post that I have since corrected. (Thanks) Being from Wisconsin I associate Superior, WI instead of Duluth, MN.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
  8. gettr

gettr What not to do..

Oddometer:
    Cannon, any of the Canada stuff gravel? I was gonna knock off the Lake Superior 1000 IBA ride this year.... and your route on the north side of Superior looks great.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I don't remember any. I wouldn't do the IBA on this route. You really have to hold it to the posted kph as many report the OPP as being pretty active on the north shore. Plus, there can be a problem with moose hazards so it might not be good to try to deal with on a long ride.

Of course, I'm just a poor ol' country boy who is looking at it from my simple point of view. Others may feel differently. :D

One more thing to keep in mind, I did this route using City Nav 2010. If you run it with a different version on your unit it can produce anomolies. Check it and rework it if you need to before you go.