CannonTracks - Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    As described in the previous post, the file in this post is the revised DS version.

Downloaded 285 times from a prior personal site.

Attached Files:

blrfjr likes this.
  2. Frankenbuffer

Frankenbuffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannon - this looks like a fantastic route. Thanks for putting it together!

This summer I'm planning a big loop from Ottawa, Canada, south to the TAT, then up the Rockies and back east via South Dakota and the UP on a WR250R. I'd like to incorporate part of your UP route on my return. Any preferences/recommendations on which sections would give the best flavor of the area while allowing reasonably quick through-progress from west to east? Would like to linger and explore more, but will have to save that for another trip. Would love to see those massive lakeside dunes in your photoessay!
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Take the northern tracks versus the southern. More lake related stuff. Or I have a trans-UP track if you want to cross like that.

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. woody071585

woody071585 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May 8th I’m planning to ride the twat in wi then the up adventure trail solo on a vstrom with tkc80 anything I need to know on either route? I got 18 days total planning to camp mostly hopefully I don’t get rained out or streams too high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Make sure you are on the big bike version of the UPAT. I had a DL1000 and it won't handle much sand. :D
  6. woody071585

woody071585 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let’s be honest the strom really doesn’t handle much :D lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. extrememarine

extrememarine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did anyone run the route during 2018 and park a truck / trailer in St. Ignace? I plan to ride this in 2019, and I'm looking for suggestions on where to park near St. Ignace. Thanks!

And thank you to Cannonshot for putting this together!!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You'll likely do better asking in the ride report thread for this ride.
    extrememarine likes this.
  9. extrememarine

extrememarine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I'll circle back next spring for input.
  10. justrider

justrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, Thanks for the info. I will have to figure out how to download these so I can read them and transfer the files into my GPS, Justrider
  11. Shugacane

Shugacane n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Cannonshot, I am looking to do part of this ride from Cambridge Ontario. I am hoping to do sections of your route so Friday to Sunday. Which sections will you recomend. I will be riding a big dual sport bike. Many thanks for your time.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    If you want a loop ride, you can ride eastern half in a loop. If you are doing a liner ride, I'd join the route at Grand Marais and work my way out to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula beyond Copper Harbor and then back down from there.
  13. Shugacane

Shugacane n00b

Oddometer:
    Bucketful of thanks.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, I am part of a trip around superior this summer, and your maps have alerted me to some route changes I need to make, the trip planning software I use -- Myroute, made it look possible to make it west to the Grand Marais Truck Road from Whitefish Point, without coming back south to #123, much appreciated. Whitefish Point to Grand Marais on Myroute.png
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I have a path mapped across there that I have taken groups across. That said, you won't want to try it on big bikes. It has some very soft sand and a water crossing that will be a problem. That is why I didn't include it on the UPAT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. BigNick2018

BigNick2018 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you. A friend and I just completed the entire UPAT middle of August. Took us 8 days but we took our time and enjoyed ourselves. Thanks again, what a great route.

Attached Files:

Cannonshot likes this.
  17. Krons

Krons n00b

Oddometer:
    Cannon shot, thanks for all the info. In the UP right now and used a number of your locations. Came around from Duluth, one of my favorites was at Sand Point Rd that turned from gravel into a dirt 2-track to get to Lake Superior. (GPS cords 46.9398163, -90.9585427) Was nice to make a R1200GS earn its keep.

Did Porcupine Mtns and Lake of the Clouds today, some nice logging roads to get into the woods. Heading to Copper Harbor tomorrow then back home to Iowa.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad this stuff is proving helpful to you and that you are having a great ride!
  19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot -- we did our trip around Superior, starting from Brimley. The info you provided for the UP was very valuable. We avoided wildcat road and those types of surfaces with our big bikes. We had a blast getting from Powell area to Skanee on the R1200's. We took the 510 until just past the Thomas Rock Scenic Overlook, the nicely paved 510 becomes the AAA Road, the man driving the Grader luckily had made a bypass for a washed out section. He also gave us good directions, to turn right on Andrew's Corner -- there is a sign nailed to the tree at an intersection, the signs say to take another way to L'Anse, but he was correct. Our GPS identified the road as "Ford Road", he said to take it until we hit pavement, which would be the Skanee Road, at which point we were to turn left to head towards Skanee, then on to L'Anse. It was all as he said it was -- we celebrated at the Hilltop with a Cinnamon Roll -- don't pass through L'Anse without doing this.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  20. skyview19

skyview19 n00b

Oddometer: