CannonTracks - Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For folks that might be interested, here are a video for perspective on the logging roads:

I posted a few other videos as well on YouTube, UP is some great riding.
    jeepmedic and Orthodoc like this.
  2. Pedalman55

Pedalman55 n00b

Oddometer:
    How would a large adventure bike do on the 4x4 version of the trail?
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have a specific big bike version for adventure bikes. It avoids some soft sand and the like. The 4WD version may not avoid some things that would be less appropriate for a big bike.
    Tricepilot likes this.
  4. ridemtra

ridemtra single track

Oddometer:
    Anyplace to leave a truck in Crystal Falls Short term storage or bike friendly motel
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I don't personally know of one but I'm sure you could arrange something with a motel there if you stayed a night.
  6. woolf

woolf n00b

Oddometer:
    Cannon,

A group of us have done the MCCCT about 4 times and wouldn't mind trying something a little different. How does the UPAT compare? We are on newer KTM 2 strokes and travel light.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The UPAT is much more interesting. The best thing is to read the ride report to see what is there. Or read one of my CannonTrek reports that traveled much of the same path.
  8. oldmanron

oldmanron Skeptical Otimist

Oddometer:
    Just finished a 4 day cross country ride from Trout Lake to Newberry, then Newberry to Curtis, then Curtis back to Trout Lake. Anybody riding in this area and planning on a fuel stop in Rexton will be disappointed. The general store/gas station there has closed. We were lucky to find a local citizen that sold is a couple gallons, but the nearest fuel is McMillan, and my Wr450 would not have it without the good Samaritan.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. werro_123

werro_123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the 4x4 version of this require the ORV permit that's mentioned in your scouting thread or is that only needed on a bike? Planning on doing this in a few weeks in the SUV.
  10. cra_fizzer

cra_fizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To add to this, do you need a sticker on your bike for anything in the UP? Especially the backside of Brockway Mountain. TIA.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    DNR - Purchase permit, learn requirements (michigan.gov)

WHEN AN ORV LICENSE AND/OR TRAIL PERMIT IS REQUIRED
    • An ORV license is required to ride eligible county roads, frozen surface of public waters, state forest roads (that are open to ORV use) and eligible national forest roads. A license is not required to operate on private lands. The cost is $26.25. Both the ORV license and trail permit are valid for one year, which begins April 1 and ends March 31 of the following year.
    • An ORV trail permit is required when operating on designated ORV Trail / Routes and special ORV-use areas. A trail permit is not required to operate on private lands. The cost is $10 (plus $26.25 for the ORV license) for a total of $36.25. Both the ORV license and trail permit are valid for one year, which begins April 1 and ends March 31 of the following year. ORV trail permits are not valid as a stand-alone license; an ORV license must also be purchased.
    [​IMG]

Best to buy the two stickes and eliminate all questions.
  12. Charles

Charles Formerly known as Dr Whipit Supporter

Oddometer:
    The back side of Brockway Mountain is really rough. rutted out in addition to what I assume is the normal babyheads. I'm going backwards so the downhill normal is uphill for me. After the town of Copper Harbor, it's challenging but not impossible on a 1200GSA. Things are blocked at the coodinates in the pic. I used 134 to get back to Copper Harbor for a room in anticipation of scattered thunderstorms.

BTW Cannonshot, this is an AWESOME route so far and I'm only starting!

View attachment 3105204

View attachment 3105205
    Cannonshot likes this.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are thinking of doing the western part of this in a couple of weeks: Wakefield - Crystal Falls - L'Ainse - Calumet - Wakefield.

We will be staying in motels. We have one KTM 690, 2 DRZ 400, 1 KTM 250 exc.

Other than the tough road in the post above, are there any other issues or problem with our plan we should know about?

Where can one buy ORV permits? I don't think we have time to do this by mail.

This was a last minute decision. We had been planning to ride the Black Hills. But Covid and a few logistical problems caused the change.
  14. cra_fizzer

Oddometer:
    Is the backside doable on a DRZ400? I'll be up there in a couple of weeks.
  15. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We were up there middle of July, didnt do those specific routes but most campgrpounds/RV/motels parks were 100% full. We had a great time camping but I would make sure to call ahead for motels.
  16. cra_fizzer

Oddometer:
    Yep. We always stay at McLain.
  17. Charles

Oddometer:
    I was on a loaded 1200GSA and it was sketchy. Should be no problem on a DRZ. I was going backward so you will have already encountered some decent challenges by the time you get to the difficult area I referred to.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the track I have this is an out-back side trip. But it looks like the road continues to the west and meets back up with the track. Sounds like you came up the mountain from the west and went down the east side?

If so how was the road on the west side.

Maybe it is an out and back because of some wonderful features along the shoreline?
  19. Charles

Oddometer:
    If you're riding the route backward, you'll come to the Brockway Mount overlook first and then turn off the road and hit what is labeled "Rocky & Steep". I would consider that to be the toughest area I went through in the Kaweenaw area. If you're riding in the proper direction, you'll hit some difficult area before you get to it. I'm sure it won't be too difficult on a DRZ. The town on the right side of the map is Copper Harbor. The UPAT crosses itself there and it is a lovely little town, but it was definitely popular with tourists.

Screenshot 2021-09-04 172339.png
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. The track I have which I think is dated 2017 is different in that area. It just shows an out and back up to the top of the mountain out of Copper harbor. It does not have the "rocky & steep" segment. But that sound like a lot of fun and we might take a look at it.

Our track does not go thru the "Bridge Bad" area either.
    Charles likes this.