CannonTracks - Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, Nov 12, 2010.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Estivant Pines Nature Area is about 3 miles from Copper Harbor.
    It's 119 acres of virgin white pine (never harvested).
    The pines can be up to 12ft around. There are hiking trails into the stands.
    In recent years they've added 390 acres around it as a buffer.
    Up until about 20 years ago the largest tree east of the Mississippi was in there - then it fell.
    Take Manganese road SE from Copper Harbor, turn west on Burma road, go about a mile and look for the signs and parking area.
    Or ask at the museum in Copper Harbor for directions.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode some of the western half of the UPAT earlier this week. We had planned to do all the western part but had a couple of days of rain which forced us to make major changes to our plan.

As expected it was a wonderful ride, again, an excellent combination of easy, moderate, and more challenging dirt roads with some really nice pavement thrown in.

We did run into a spot where the trail was washed out on the track into Lac LaBelle from the west (in the north part of the Keweenaw peninsula).
    There was a huge dirt pile to keep people from falling into the ravine on both sides. It looked like a few people had gone around and made it thru.
    It was not something I wanted to do and probably couldn't without help. The ravine was about 15' deep with steep sides and a small creek at the bottom.
    The dirt piles look like they have been there for a long time, and I suspect this washout has been reported before.

We found a good go around to the south. It showed up well on my GPS map.

BTW I thought this road was the most fun one we did on the trip.
    I have tracks if anybody wants to see the details.
  3. cra_fizzer

cra_fizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of UPAT07 is closed to OHM by La Bell. Much confusion if Mandan Road is closed or not. Maybe just to OHV?
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Mandan is not on the version of 07 that we used. But in looking at the map, it looked like an attractive option for getting around to Copper Harbor instead of US 41.

The trail into the lake from the west was definitely open. There were OHV route signs all along the way.
  5. cra_fizzer

cra_fizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love taking Mandan road.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked my On X Hunt maps. They say the road is only open to ATVs, "No off road motorcycles". Not sure where street legal motorcycles fit in, but probably not allowed either.
    Nearly all the land is owned by some lumber company.
  7. CBJ79

CBJ79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to do this. We are planning on trying the big bike route next june. Can the tracks be run backwards or will that confuse the gps? Thanks!
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes. On some units you will need to reverse the direction of the track before you choose it to navigate.