CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Big Daddy D

Big Daddy D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report! I just finished it and loved it! Great pictures and I like the additional info too. :clap
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.
  3. thundercat

thundercat Meow

Oddometer:
    Overall whats your opinion on the nc for the off road portions of your trip? I'm considering getting a dual sport and I'm considering an NC with lots of money left over for off road addons or a tenere/tiger800xc w/ only a few.
    :dunno
  4. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Offroad I get 72-75 mpg's with my NCX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for sharing your trip and gps tracks ! Great job
  6. nanox14

nanox14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A really well put RR :deal, trully adventure right there,, even with some history classes that gives an awesome insight from the whole route. a really well spent 2 days at work reading it.. thanks.. and cheers from Venezuela.:clap
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks! Nice to hear that we reached Venezuela. Glad you enjoyed the history. Seems like it adds another dimension to things. I apologize to your employer. :lol3
  8. nanox14

nanox14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If that would be the case, the WHOLE ADVrider forum should apologize to my employer :rofl...
  9. JDMitchell

JDMitchell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see that the adventure "styled" NC700x is capable of an adventure through some fairly tough terrain. K60/TKC-80 combo will be my next tires. Does the Altrider skid plate cover the shock linkage?

Thanks for the great RR. I feel like I am getting a free history lesson. I look forward to my next trip through the Rockies.
  10. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    The K60/TKC combo is awsome!!.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. VetMXR

VetMXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reliving the memories I realized that I failed to post a report on the ride. I've been fortunate to have ridden with Cannon on a number of previous Cannontreks, and this was by far one of the most enjoyable rides I've attended. This was my first big adventure ride, so that added to the enjoyment as well.
    I picked up a new 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R just for this trip. I rolled it out of the dealership, installed crash bars, luggage rack with Pelican cases, kickstand relocation bracket, LED auxiliary lights, USB power port, and an auxiliary RotoPax gas can. I pulled the stock rubber and installed a TKC80 up front and a K60 in the rear, then headed west out of Michigan for Colorado. I road 2-lane blacktops primarily over into Illinois where I hooked up with the Lincoln highway and followed it through Iowa to where I met up with the rest of the team in Iowa, then we all headed west together from there.
    The KTM performed flawless throughout this trip, and handled everything and anything I could throw at it. I'd say that the stock fork springs are a bit soft, but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing. Cannon's S-10 would have been a better choice for the ride out and back, but I was sure glad I was on the KTM when heading down Hayden pass. She averaged 41.3 mpg across the entire trip, from 100+ mph jaunts on the superslab to the technical climbs to 12k feet up the passes along the way.
    I seriously considered the S-10, and the BMW and Triumph 800 adventure bikes prior to choosing the KTM. I am primarily an off-road rider, and the KTM was the most similar in layout to a dirt bike than the other options. Just be aware that these are all big, heavy bikes, and no matter what your skills are on a CRF450, you had better yield a bit of respect to these big boys when traveling off-road.
    Most surprising to me on this trip was the little NC700 piloted by Adam. Keep in mind that Adam is a talented rider in his own right, but the little Honda traversed every dirt path and goat trail just as easily as that of the "true" adventure bikes, ground clearance notwithstanding. Most of us believe that we need a big BMW/KTM/S10 or similar to be true adventure riders, but seeing Adam on that Honda picking his way up the steep and rock strewn climp of Cimarron Pass was really impressive and demonstrated the capabilities of the bike.
    I was fortunate to be Terry's wing man for much of this ride. Terry is a tactical rider, careful to evaluate each line available before pulling the trigger. He has a good eye, and since I was usually following, his line choice usually made it easy for me (if he was wrong, I always knew where NOT to go! LOL, just kidding of course). And the sound of that Ducati was pure music to the ears.
    Boomer and Bennie are also seasoned riders with impressive skills. The fact that they know these KTMs like the backs of their hand was quite impressive as well. They successfully perform trailside repairs (broken subframe for Boomer, faulty fuel pump for Benny) quickly and effectively. Benny also experience a brake failure that pulled him away from the group for a day, but thanks to a fellow ADVRIDER in Salidas, he was back with the group the following day.
    There is nothing more that I can say about Cannon that hasn't already been spoken. A seasoned rider with impressive skills himself, he plans out these rides with precision, plays host to us all during the ride and follows it up with some of the best ride reports that I've read to date for the ADVRIDER community's enjoyment. Good guy in my book.
    Terry A likes this.
  12. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    Ahh, the memories.
    Boy that was a fun trip.
  13. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:

:nod
    from this distance I think it was great time all the time! :lol3
  14. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    A sufficiently long time has passed so I now believe Hayden pass was a good time.:lol3

So where are we goin next year?:D
  15. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Time heals all wounds." :lol3
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You guys got me to reread this thing. What a blast that was! Good times.

I'm sure it will be entertaining, fun, and a bit of a challenge. :evil
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    500 to 600lb bikes in the dirt are just what you want,especially in big rocks and steep terrain.

Makes the ride so much more fun! Just keep the Lifeflight card handy.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Its a scooter with ADV styling,of course it works off road.:rofl
  19. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    Whatever you want to call it, the NC700X worked pretty well.
  20. HoJoOkie

HoJoOkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent Report.

I'm still amazed at how well the little Honda 700 performed. I'll have to give that one a consideration.

It seems the KTM's were the most repair prone. While these bikes are in a class all to them selves when it comes to power and suspension I'm seeing higher maintenance on all the adventure forum postings.

While following Noa's wonderful RTW adventure I'm moving away from my intention of purchasing one of these bikes.