CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    As others have said this is one terrific report and I too enjoy the history. I didn't find the report until last weekend and only read part of it at that time. I wanted to be sure to have the time to savor each word, enjoy every photo, and follow the links to more information about the places you were talking about.

When you return be sure to take the tour of the Bordello Museum in Wallace - I'm sure the Big Dog perverts will be gone :lol3 . You'll enjoy the local history lesson: http://www.visitidaho.org/attraction/museums/oasis-bordello-museum/ Murray is a must see, especially the museum in the Sprag Pole tavern. Their milkshakes aren't too shabby either. I was surprised Murray wasn't included in the IDBDR but it is difficult to include everything. At least you rode up to Burke, very few people do.

Thanks for sharing all the history you found and your ride. I know how much work it takes to created such an awesome report and I appreciate all the time and effort you have put into it.

This report is most certainly a 5 flower report on the Ladybug scale. (Flowers are even better than stars for those of us that like to stop and smell the roses.)

:flug :flug :flug :flug :flug :pynd
    greenboy 667 likes this.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Heading to Rapid City and Wall.
    [​IMG]

Found this washed out bridge on an abandoned rail grade interesting.
    [​IMG]

I serve on a couple of councils related to trails and off-road vehicles. Bridges are expensive, so seeing this one made useless relates to my interests there.
    [​IMG]

Billings as seen from a ridge above town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bentonite is a clay that derives from deteriorating volcanic ash. There are several "flavors" of bentonite depending on what the predominate mineral is in the mix.
    [​IMG]

Bentonite is pretty big around Belle Fourche.
    [​IMG]

Different varieties have different properties. Most bentonite is used as drilling mud for gas and oil operations. It cools drilling tools and is a sealer that helps prevent blowouts.
    [​IMG]

Do a search for uses of bentonite and you'll be surprised where it shows up. Sealing landfills, in medicine, and even cat litter.
    [​IMG]

upload_2015-8-23_17-16-54.png

Black Hills in the distance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hit a dealer in rapid City. No sprockets available here or anywhere along the route home. Druid opted to a new chain since his was fading fast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zed thinking about his next adventure bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Campground near the missile silo visitor center east of Wall.
    [​IMG]

They had a pool too.
    [​IMG]
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much. I can't wait to get back there to check out some more stuff! So much to discover there.

Thanks. The small camera worked out for me on this trip. Sure is nice to have a big telephoto sometimes though. That writing you suggest sounds too much like having a job. :D

Thanks. It was a nice spot and a beautiful evening that made it even a little better.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Q! I agree with you that it is a fabulous place to ride.

:D The effort is worth it if it helps the next guy.

Thanks! I'm glad it inspires you to take in a little more of your home state. Much more there than I reported on this time. Hope you have some great trips!
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I love Glacier as well. Maybe the most scenic 50 or so miles around.

Thanks so much! I had both the museum and Murray waypointed but never got to them this time. I'm sure I'll knock off Murray next time. Thanks for the tips as to what to check out there. I really enjoyed what I experienced in Idaho. So much great riding and places to explore - anxious to get back for more!
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    And home . . .
    [​IMG]

Nice morning starting out.
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Missouri River.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More power line work.
    [​IMG]

Dropping down to the upper Mississippi River as we approach the west coast of Wisconsin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though I still had much of the state to cross, crossing the river means I'm home.
    [​IMG]

Summer in Wisconsin means construction. New bridge over the Mississippi.
    [​IMG]
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for following along! We had a great trip with fantastic riding and excellent points of interest to explore. Idaho was great.

Again, thanks to the IDBDR folks to the huge amount of time and effort they put into developing the IDBDR so that the rest of us can jump on and have a great ride without having to repeat all their efforts.

We had a run of very hot weather for much of the time we were there. I think we camped every night and never had to get a motel room to dry out or refit. Mechanical troubles were few and were nicely overcome.

All in all a great trip that we recommend to others.

I'll post a GPX with the custom track and the 850+ waypoints we used for this trip in the event anyone wants to borrow from it.
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot, really enjoyed this!
  9. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    "Bentonite is a clay that derives from deteriorating volcanic ash."

Back in the day, I visited many startup mines in that area. The difference was, they were owned by small guy mining operations; now they are bought up by big guys, corporations. A great example of supply and demand.

Thanks my friend for another eventful and useful ADVENTURE! Cheers to Jay and Zed!
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thanks CS! Wonderful RR and as always interesting and entertaining.
  11. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great report!!! I was up through the upper part of Idaho this year--on the pavement--did the lower part & Stanley area a couple of years back.

We went into a little mining town somewhere near Wallace. The road went back through and ended but there were some HUGE buildings there. One of your pictures in the area looked like where the road hit the highway.

Based on your report we are going back up there next year to spend a bunch more time really exploring the state instead of just ripping through it.

Thanks for all your effort in doing these. :clap
  12. DruiD

DruiD riding too fast

Oddometer:
    Absolutely remarkable ride report! Thank you so much for all of your efforts; for creating such a diverse route and being flexible enough to include Zed and I in the adventure to the excellent photography and diligent posting to the report thread, complete with historical facts and related images. Credit is also due for ensuring that we remained on schedule regardless of the occasional desire to soak our feet in a cold stream or smell the flowers. It was an awesome trip!

Thank-you.
  13. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    You bet I do!
    I've got "little bikes" (XR650R) and a trailer now, that I want to take up there next summer.

Thanks again for the great Ride Report!

Q~
  14. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Excellent CS as always !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Yes, awesome ride report.....

But, it's sad to see those tracks across I-90
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Nice to have you following along.

thanks Critic! I suppose the consolidation of bentonite producers is all about economy of scale. I saw Halliburton in the mix.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Hope you have a great trip when you go back. So much to take in either by street or dual sport bike.

Thanks Jay. It was a fun trip. I'm glad the report is done though. Now I have to go back and reread it from the start so I can remember what we did. :D

Thanks Q. Hope the file proves helpful. I'd really enjoy exploring some of this on a smaller bike as well.

Thanks Frank! Best wishes on your upcoming trip.

Thanks. Yes, the interstate is kind of a drag for those of us in the Midwest. Cost of doing business on a trip like this I guess. :D
  18. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. As a resident of Idaho, and a streetbike rider, I was in total awe of both your pictures and reporting. The history you shared was most fascinating.

Since my current bike is unsuitable for most of the route you traveled, I can admit to being more than a bit jealous.

It is reports like this, and contributors like yourself, that make this site such a pleasure to be a part of.
    i4bikes likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Always nice to hear form a local that enjoys the information presented about their home territory. Hopefully it encourages some others to visit and see for themselves. Hope you get a dual sport someday so you can have some of the same experiences we had knocking around the back country. What a fabulous place to visit!
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I put a link to the GPX file in the first post. I didn't completely refine it as I have with some others.

This track file contains tracks I am sharing for the CannonTrek.ID ride we did in Idaho. The file takes in a variety of points of interest. It contains my tracks and also the tracks from the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route. I did this so that people could see the variations between the route I rode and reported on and the actual IDBDR route.

If you are riding the BDR itself, it is always best to get the tracks from the source to account for any changes that may take place over time. You can compare the official track to anyone else's variation as you see fit.

The file contains tracks and waypoints that can be incorporated into someone else's trip. There are around 850 waypoints that include points of interest, fuel, camping, and cycle shops.

Huge thanks to the IDBDR people that developed their route as much of it was integral to this trip. The variations I made only had to do with my desire to explore areas apart from the IDBDR. The IDBDR is a fabulous ride as published.

Feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail if you have questions about the file or you want more information about planning a similar trip of your own. I help people out with this kind of thing all the time.
    greenboy 667, PDX Alamo and Ladybug like this.