CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm glad the report helped you out in your own planning. I try to write them to make it easier for the next rider to plan a trip of their own. The track I added at Big Creek turned out to be a favorite portion of the trip for us too. It would have been fun to loop back around and ride it a second time!

[​IMG]
  2. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also copied this trail section for my planned ride around the Frank Church Wilderness. Since I am on a small dirt bike, I wanted to include as many ATV type trails as possible. Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip because the Magruder Corridor has been closed. I think it is scheduled to open Aug 1. Very disappointed we had to cancel. I have been researching and planning this trip for almost a full year.
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    That is pretty frustrating that things are unexpectedly closed. The people that rode later the year we did got blocked by closures due to wildfires. Tough to plan reliably I guess. I hope your trip works out sometime in the future. What a great area to ride in - especially on a smaller bike.
  4. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out later this year with a friend and will be riding this area/section. We have this 2 track on our route. Is an OHV permit required for this section?
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    One portion is a road open to all vehicles and the other portion is 50" or less. By the way, the 50" restriction on the Barber Flat Bridge is on a path designated as being open to all motor vehicles so it is not a trail.
    upload_2016-7-29_10-8-3.png

The question about whether a DOT licensed motorcycle requires a state OHV sticker on a federal 50" road can be answered in this publication. It looks like a DOT licensed motorcycle requires a sticker on a designated trail, open riding area, or motocross track (operated off-highway). Non-DOT licensed OHVs require a sticker on federal roads. The MVUM lists FR 194 as a 50" trail making a sticker a requirement. Non-residents are required to have either a valid OHV registration from their home state of residence or a valid IDPR OHV registration sticker.
    BrokenHalo likes this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition to the MVUM Cannonshot links, here is an interactive Parks & Recreation Map of trails and roads throughout Idaho. If you zoom into the Big Creek area and click on the trail mentioned (194) it will also list it as an ATV trail which would require and off-road sticker.

http://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2252207eb95b49f99b2c05228831dfbb

BrokenHalo, if you have an off-road sticker for Ohio, you should probably call Idaho P&R to see if they would accept an Ohio offroad sticker (Reciprocity).

I ride a Dual-Sport highway licensed Yamaha TW 200 and I buy a sticker every year just in case. Between Burgdorf and the Salmon River, there is a road to the east of the IDBDR which goes to Carey & War Eagle Lookouts. It's mainly FS 318 but there is a 2-mile section which goes through BLM control. I was stopped by the BLM LEO and asked for my offroad sticker. Now I don't really think I needed it even on the BLM controlled portion as this is a road not a trail as Cannonshot mentions, but he couldn't say anything since I had it.
    BrokenHalo, i4bikes and Cannonshot like this.
  7. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the guest rider, Bill Whitaker, in the IDBDR video, is the current CEO of Simplot.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    Thank you gentlemen for the links to these resources. I agree that a permit is required for the one bit on the west side of the loop. Regardless, for 12 bucks it's a no brainier, IMO.
    I called today to see about buying our permits in advance.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Just say NO to BLOATOCYCLES

Oddometer:
    Doing an NC700X thing lately, so found this in search... Back in the late 90's I went to an ATV/cycle jamboree in Wallace that showed me a lot of trails and a lot of motorsports-friendly people. Also been in to the Frank hiking and did a long trip around the North Clearwater and finally into Montana. Idaho is great for scenery, history, variety, and I think land use policy! And your hard work presenting the trip is so appreciated!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cannonshot,

Now that I am getting into my 2017 ID BDR planning phase, I went back and read your awesome RR. A couple of general questions.

Do you remember what the average mileage was for each day / segment and how long we're you guys traveling ( time ) each day? Average speed? Can I assume each of your posts with a map shows the days trip length? I see some longer segments around 230 miles. I am assuming these longer segments are descent gravel roads?

i am planning a 2,300 mile loop starting and ending at Mountain. On WR250R. Mountain Home up the IDBDR to Creston, BC ( 12 or so miles north of Porthill ). Then cutting across from Porthill to Eureka to pickup the CDR. I plan to hang out in West Glacier to the National Park. Then follow CDR to Seeley. Back to IDBDR via Missoula.

Kam
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I think I have notes with daily mileages/moving time. I'll dig out my trip file and see what I can come up with. I'm sure some others will be interested as well.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I posted some general information about the speeds, etc, here. If I remembered to check at the time, I recorded the daily miles and moving average at the end of each day in the ride report itself. The day's segments are are covered in the narrative and the side trips can be accounted for in my GPS track and the maps on screen. I know I wasn't sure what the moving average might be in some areas as I planned the trip other than what I knew of other similar trips so that left some uncertainty about the required timeline for the trip. Overall, the moving average on route part ranged between 26 and 37 mph daily.
  13. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot for the excellent RR, I found this report while doing research on the IBDR, hoping to ride it with my son summer of 2018, or a similar BDR, the goal is to ride them all eventually. I will definitely borrow some of your side sight seeing trips, love the history that you combined with this trip. I have ridden a lot of single track in some of the areas you rode through, but now looking to getting into adventure riding and dual sport. Thanks again.
    naotweed and Cannonshot like this.