CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the rest of the report and how the Tenere did on the BDR. Hope to get there in the future.

Great start so far.
    Mike
  2. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :lurker
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Days 1 & 2 - getting out there.

Getting there involved a couple of long days riding the interstate.
    [​IMG]

I picked up Zed along the way and we cruised together to Iowa where Druid would meet us.
    [​IMG]

While we waited for Druid to arrive, we spent time chatting with various customers that shared some interesting information that ranged from raising herding dogs to racing boats.
    [​IMG]

Expensive hobby.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually we were all together and ready to roll on. We went as far as North Platte where we stayed in town at the municipal campground (cheap). About 765 miles for me.
    [​IMG]

Despite a little early morning rain, things cleared up and turned into another hot and sunny day on the highway. By the way, for most of the trip there were very high temperatures. I left behind my Klim riding suit (which I love) and Schuberth helmet in favor of a mesh suit and open faced dirt helmet. This worked out much better than I expected - even in some rain and cooler temps.

[​IMG]

Passing through ICBM territory. The USAF security folks are on the job.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zed suffered a cracked tooth that started giving him trouble. Rather than ride it into the backcountry he worked the phone to try to arrange an appointment in Pocatello along the way. Amazingly, he was able to do so and get some relief.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think we all started out with new tires. Kind of a shame to roll so many highway miles on them before getting off the pavement. I ran Heidenaus on my Tenere. I was very satisfied with the wear by the end of the trip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least it was a little cooler in the tunnel.
    [​IMG]

Over the shoulder shot.
    [​IMG]

Oil rig.
    [​IMG]

Getting closer to the CannonTrek track.
    [​IMG]

Bear Lake is about evenly shared by Utah and Idaho. It is a little over 100 square miles in size. The lake is sometimes referred to as the "Caribbean of the Rockies" because the suspended limestone in the water gives the lake a unique turquoise-blue color. The unique water properties also make for some native species not found anywhere else. The lake was formed on a fault so as the fault slips the lake keeps getting deeper.

Shoshone tribes used to hang out here in the summer in big colonies with up to about 400 lodges. Whites never showed up until around 1818 when trappers found it. The trappers got along with the Shoshones due to trading.

In 1827 and 1828, trappers met up on the south end of the lake near what is depicted in this photo for a rendezvous. Mountain men, Indians, and trade goods suppliers met up for a few weeks of trading, boozing, and entertainment. Jimmy Bridger and Jedediah Smith showed up. In 1827 Jedediah Smith was the hero of the rendezvous after he completed the first overland round-trip to California from the US.

In the 1860s, Mormons settled on the north end after cutting a deal with the Indians that kept the south.

The Blackfeet weren't so friendly to outsiders like the Shoshones were. Bob Campbell's group of 18 trappers were headed for the 1828 rendezvous when they were attacked by Blackfeet warriors. They holed up in some rocks and shot it out for five hours. One trapper was killed.

[​IMG]

Lots of classic cars around for a car show. When you got behind one the exhaust was pretty bad. Makes one realize how far we've come with emissions.
    [​IMG]

We camped at Beaver Creek back in the forest which is on this map. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is a monster living in Bear Lake. Indians called it a water devil. Reports go back many years including some men that reported they saw the monster kill one of their horses in camp. Lots of different descriptions but a common theme is that it is serpent like, has legs, can move fast, and that it marauds along the shore. The last sighting was 2002.
    [​IMG]

Cameraman from My Classic Car shooting some video for the show they will be putting out next spring.
    [​IMG]

Some nice views of the lake and the resort town and properties from the overlook. Lots of lake related recreation here.
    [​IMG]

The host of My Classic Car. Nice fellow. Keeping the show going for over twenty years.
    [​IMG]

We were coming up on the 4th of July weekend so there was a lot of tourist traffic around. As we entered the forest we saw a lot of groups camped all over the place. When we got to an actual campground (Beaver Creek) it was wide open. 637 miles today.
    [​IMG]

A nice campground.
    [​IMG]

A nice view from our site.
    [​IMG]
    AbeWhat likes this.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow!! Another awesome ride this year!! :thumb
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for tuning in! The Jersey crew is certainly no stranger to the wonders of Idaho. So much great riding, places to visit, and things to see.

Thanks Mike! The Tenere was fine, but it is a big heavy bike when loaded. As always, a sturdy bash plate is required. The traction control settings proved to be very utile with the grades and varying surfaces. I hope you get the chance to enjoy this BDR as they laid out a really nice ride.

Thanks for joining in!
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks my friend! Just trying to make hay while the sun shines. Winter is not so far off for us northerners.
  7. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the unraveling of the story!
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Like Bemitten said, the timing for a juicy CannonShot Idaho report couldn't be better !
    This will be another great one no doubt!
  9. AndrewTucker23

AndrewTucker23 What was I doing?

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this one Cannonshot! I love this part of the world. :clap
  10. kckeeny

kckeeny Poor Bastard

Oddometer:
    Someday..... when I'm retired, after I make my second million, I'd like to ride one of these trips. Looks like you fellas had fun. I'm excited to watch DrZed's beard grow as the miles mount. (And your fantastic photos)
    :trp In
  11. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I love those boats, takes me back to my childhood, seeing Miss Budweiser....piston powered racing on the Ohio River (Thunder on the Ohio).
  12. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Or watching. I posted a link on the NC700 forum.
  13. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Heading north through Georgetown.

[​IMG]

A beautiful cool morning. Went looking for a C-46 crash site in the area. Didn't look too hard though.
    [​IMG]

In January 1953 an overloaded Curtis C46F carrying soldiers returning home from the Korean War crashed in this area. The plane was a charter that would take the soldiers from Seattle to Fort Jackson SC. The pilots planned to fly at 13,000 feet at 200 knots. To make a long story short, the pilot involuntarily descended into icing and turbulence. The plane sheared some trees and then slammed into the ground scattering wreckage and body parts over an extended distance. The 40 people on board, including the 21 year old stewardess that was making her first flight after being hired only days earlier, were killed. It took a while to find the wreckage in the backcountry. Once found the military parachuted a couple of rescue people in. They soon reported "no survivors".
    [​IMG]

Shortly after the wreckage was discovered, more snow hit which covered things hampering recovery. The military placed guards on the site until the bodies could eventually be recovered over the next few months. Some low-lifes were courts-martialed for looting some of the bodies and luggage they were guarding. Some pix of the memorial can be seen here.
    [​IMG]

A wonderful long twisting ride down this valley.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Borglum (Mt. Rushmore) is from St. Charles (briefly anyway). Everyone wants a piece of this guy.
    [​IMG]

I mentioned that the Mormons worked out an arrangement with the Indians that allowed them to settle the north end of Bear Lake. The Mormons promised to share some crops with the Indians when they were in the area. Their foreign policy was that it was cheaper to feed the Indians than to fight them.
    [​IMG]

Paris is a Mormon settlement best known for the six story Romanesque style cathedral they built there in the 1880s. 1,200 loads of rose-colored sandstone were hauled by wagon from a quarry 18 miles away. During the winter they hauled across the ice of Bear Lake. Once the stone was on site, some skilled craftsman cut it for the cathedral. Ornate woodwork is also part of the mix. The place is much like it was when it was built.
    [​IMG]

This area was some kind of hotbed of polygamy at one time. Actually, I don't think polygamy was that big but the rich and powerful were often involved. Politics to contain some perceived threats by Mormon powerbases may have contributed to legislation that made it a crime ($500 or 5 years in the big house). Some of the big wheels here were polygamists. When the marshals came to arrest some people, they had to take the train to a nearby town. Lookouts spread the word and the polygamists would disappear before the marshals could arrive by horse. Once the marshals showed up at 2AM only to find that the entire town (minus the polygamists) was up to greet them.

Butch Cassidy and a couple of his pals robbed this bank in Montpelier in August of 1896. The robbers did a nice job of it. They were casual and got away clean. Two entered the bank while one took the horses out back. They stuck the joint up and got over $16K. A bank employee thought about going for the Winchester under the counter, but the robbers had everyone covered too well. One patron that was forced to lean over a desk managed to get a good look at the guy holding the horses. The robbers told everyone to stay down and keep quiet and then they went out the back, loaded their horses, and left. Butch put the loot on a fourth horse (pack horse) that would find its own way apart from the three robbers. This way they wouldn't be caught with the loot. They tracked the horse from a distance. When notified of the robbery, a constable gave pursuit on a bicycle. The Sheriff in a nearby town formed a posse but pursued the robbers 90 degrees out from the direction they fled.
    [​IMG]

The money Butch and the boys took was intended for the criminal defense of a colleague that was facing a framed murder charge elsewhere. They horse holder got nailed when he was picked up for a train robbery he didn't commit. He had to alibi that he was near Montpelier to beat that rap. This lead to someone from the bank identifying him as one of the robbers. The horse holder went to the big house and tried to escape twice - once losing a leg. He got out in 1912 and became a ranch manager. The other guy went to prison for a robbery in New Mexico. Later he turned his life around and became successful in the oil business. As for Butch . . .
    [​IMG]

As these Mormon settlements got started in the area, a lot of thought was put into them. Brigham Young was personally involved with the design of Paris setting it up to be a major center with 132 foot wide streets. In the smaller communities, like Georgetown (a farming settlement along the Oregon Trail), thing were a little more basic. This is the first public building in Georgetown - a significant achievement at the time. This 1872 building served as the church, school, and community center.
    [​IMG]
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along Jim. We'll be getting up to your neighborhood eventually.

Thanks Frank! I know you know and love exploring in Idaho. Hope you find this entertaining and useful.

Thanks for tuning in. Like you, I really enjoy the area. Much more to it than what is commonly known.

I'd enjoy sharing one of these treks with you Kyle. Someday . . .

Really interesting to chat with those guys about it.

Zed's NC700 amazed a lot of folks during CannonTrek.CO and it continued to demonstrate what a great bike it is on this trip. And of course, Zed rides it really well.

Nice running into you on top of Logan Pass John. What are the odds that we would meet?
  16. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Damn, I would love to do this one! I just happened to have PM'd Jay a couple days ago. He gave me the heads up on the ride. I am ready for more!:lurker
  17. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Took a tour of the tabernacle in Paris in 2011 after I ate lunch at the café across the street. I kept asking the tour guide what was the significance of three doors in front of the church and he refused to answer my question. I asked him at least four times. It became quite comical after the second or third attempt.

[​IMG]

The man that built the tabernacle was a shipwright and the ceiling is made like a ship's hull upside down.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the history and pictures.
    Mike
  18. Caymen8

Caymen8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot! I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to include all the history in your ride reports. Idaho is certainly on my list of future trips, so I'm really looking forward to this report.
    kojack06 likes this.
  19. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    In. I did Lolo and Magruder on a Versys with street tires. That was a mistake but I made it. Looking forward to the rest of the story!
  20. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Along for the ride... hope to be up in that area later this year.

NFE