CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 16, 2015.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff you uncovered Cannonshot.
    The ironic thing about potato's is I believe they require a lot of water to grow, something that can be quite rare out there and there fore subsidized.
  2. tengai

tengai *

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

You should have asked Zed's brother to let you take that Silver '05- or '06 model year Pontiac GTO out for a spin.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Twin Falls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a chasm to cross.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    350 feet high.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Previous version of the bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoshone Falls Dam
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evel Knievel built this ramp as part of his attempt to jump the Snake River. We'll go over to the other side and take a look.
    [​IMG]

It is a long way over there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perrine Bridge
    [​IMG]

Lots of recreation on the river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoshone Falls just below the dam. The "Niagra of the West". 45 feet higher than Niagra Falls.
    [​IMG]

Pillar Falls.
    [​IMG]

Evel's ramp across the canyon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zed congratulates Perrine on his bridge.
    [​IMG]

Bridge overlook.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Base jumper killed.

Base jumpers having fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Comrade Art likes this.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along!

Amazing what a little irrigation does, isn't it?

:lol3
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    A little work on the Tenere today. Oil, filter, final drive lube changes.

Altrider bash plate had some new significant damage.
    [​IMG]

Oil on the pan is from vent hoses not the engine. (whew)
    [​IMG]

This mounting bracket was broken. Had to take it off and reshape and reweld it. Put it back on and all is well.
    [​IMG]

If you know anything about what the rear bracket on an Altrider Tenere bash plate looks like, you will know that this one is really twisted and bent. It was jamming my side stand.
    [​IMG]

Through a variety of actions I got it back into shape and reinstalled things.
    [​IMG]

Back in shape again . . . sort of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear Heidenau after about 6,000 miles of hot highways and rugged paths with a loaded bike.
    [​IMG]

Front Heidenau.
    [​IMG]

This air filter was new when I started the trip. Better than I thought it might be. Lots of dust along the way.
    [​IMG]
  6. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Bryan, back in the 70's I meet J.R. Simplot; I do believe, it was in the ghost town of Conda! A strange, but very interesting meeting in a old home/office. It was kind of like going back in time He was a very cool guy!
  7. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    How did you keep Druid from trying the EK jump or maybe Zed a coaming factor!
    Lucid and DruiD like this.
  8. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Sunlight and water from the mountains makes for great growing conditions. Potatoes also like some specific types of soils also; soft, not clay or heavy types.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thousand Springs, Hagerman, Buhl

[​IMG]

Agriculture is pretty big in this area. This brand new forage harvester would make quick work of chopping corn and conditioning hay. I noticed they had to irrigate the alfalfa crops here as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The area around Buhl is known as the "Trout Capital of the World".
    [​IMG]

Two-thirds of all the commercially raised trout consumed in the US come from a series of fish farms along this 30 mile stretch of river.
    [​IMG]

More than two million rainbow and steelhead trout, along with some catfish and tilapia, are produced in this area. We visited Clear Springs Foods which is the largest commercial trout farm on earth. Fish are raised, processed, frozen, and shipped all over the world from this facility.
    [​IMG]

They have a viewing window and pond for visitors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This sturgeon is only about 7 feet long and replaces the 80 year old 10 footer they used to keep here.
    [​IMG]

We've got sturgeon roaming some rivers in Wisconsin and it is an ordeal to accidently hook one - even a small one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Topside viewing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are some of the experimental ponds they operate to research fish production issues.
    [​IMG]

Water disappears from the surface in some places in Idaho and runs underground. In this area, referred to as the Thousand Springs Valley, the water reappears popping out of cliff sides.
    [​IMG]

About 40% of this water comes from the Snake around the Twin Falls region but some comes from a couple of rivers that disappear into the ground further away across the state.
    [​IMG]

Cliff dwellers.
    [​IMG]

Much of the water that appears here is collected to use for hydro power generation.
    [​IMG]

Some of the water here comes from snowmelt, rain, and irrigation water. Altogether, this is one of the largest groundwater systems in the world. Underground water is the big reason why the notion of storing nuclear waste in Idaho was killed off. Imagine the far-reaching effects of contaminating this water with radioactive material.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like they build dikes to collect a broad width of running water and then funnel it into hydro projects.
    [​IMG]

The power company also partners with government to provide a lot of recreation facilities along this stretch of river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The substantial part of this river in the Malad Gorge is only about 3 miles long. In that short distance it is harnessed for power generation with multiple dams.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Falls running into Malad Gorge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hagerman has fossil beds, some fancy bank architecture, and a monument to the sheep herders that used to roam the area. At one time the place was lousy with sheep.
    [​IMG]

Herder's mobile home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to reroute due to closed bridge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Nice story. Must have been an interesting visit. I wonder if he had mining interests there.
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    We have some pretty big potato operations that use the sandy soils of central Wisconsin. They draw a lot of water. I think they also rinse a lot of chemicals they use back into the ground water.
  12. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Not to side track Bryan's great report on potato farming in Idaho but I recommend this read. It is astounding what we do, or did, to bring water to the American west and how fragile that infrastructure actually is.
    Excellent book
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Just curious as to how much research is done beforehand for a trip like this. I've ridden to Idaho twice and have covered many miles within the state's borders but now, thanks to this RR, I feel like I've not seen anything at all there. I've always tried to go with the flow while touring and do most of the research after I return home based on what I've seen and where I've gone. This seems to be a more fruitful way to travel, albeit more labor intensive I would imagine. My guess is that you are not stumbling upon these places but have a general route in mind based upon research.

Still loving the pictures and history. Some places are familiar but most are not.
    Mike
  14. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    A fun report! Lotsa cool stuff around Twin falls.. ( my sister lives in Gooding).

Where are you off to next??
  15. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving this ride report. Such great stories and pictures. Keep it up.
  16. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    "I wonder if he had mining interests there."

Yes, he had several mines and land holdings in ID. I returned a year or so later to a new mine start near the WY line.
  17. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR , Your nailing the history of southeast Idaho. I'm from small town south of Pocatello "Downey" and your report is keeping me captivated . Such a wonderful state so rich in little known history. Loved the Pic of Elk at Ross park. Was surprised that you found Hooper's Spring in Soda Springs. Not many travelers seem to know about the springs.. Did you taste the Water? Not bad if you mix a little fresh water with it. Locals say it will cure what ales you. I still own a home in Idaho and plan to return upon retirement July 2016 .Thanks for the History lesson in your RR's
  18. shelglass

shelglass No Place Like Home

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report, love the pics and stories
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    On to Jarbidge NV and the start of the IDBDR.

[​IMG]

Three Creek Store. A guy got rocks out of some creek beds and built this store about 117 years ago. It has since been deeded to a religious group with the provision that any improvements must reflect on the original structure.
    [​IMG]

Butch Cassidy, The Sundance Kid, and their pal Will Carver (of Black Jack Tom Ketchum's gang), came through here in September 1900 on their way to rob a bank. They got some extra horses from a local rancher. Carver was somehow related to the guy that ran the store. Butch rousted the store owner out of bed in the middle of the night at gunpoint. Butch had the store owner load two pack horses with groceries and hats that were to be used in the Wild Bunch's escape after robbing a bank in Winnemucca NV. Butch promised to eventually pay for the goods. Somehow a shot was fired and the bullet lodged in the door frame for the store.
    [​IMG]

By the way, this store was a popular gathering place with a long horse rail. Sometimes horse parking was so congested that people had to tie off to some sagebrush because there was no room at the rail.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, the guys went off to rob the bank 200 miles away. True to his word, Butch calculated the value of the groceries and supplies they stole and left a bag of money for twice that amount on the porch of the store on their way back through after the robbery.
    [​IMG]

There is a whole lot of nothing down in this corner of the state.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading down into the canyon by Murphy Hot Springs.
    [​IMG]

Some rain in the area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Murphy Hot Springs on one of the branches of the Jarbidge River.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can bump the res to 1080 if you like.

[​IMG]

Campground along the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jarbidge is spread out in a narrow valley.
    [​IMG]

There is a bit of history here as well - mostly related to mining. The last stage coach robbery in the country was near here as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gun in a holster on the hip.
    [​IMG]

A peek inside the store to sign the register.
    [​IMG]

No time to chat as we had other irons in the fire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jarbidge bills itself as an ATV/UTV recreation site. There were a lot of ATVs around here since it was the 4th of July. It was a bit treacherous coming up the road into town. Some auto and ATV drivers were taking in the scenery instead of properly clearing the corners on the one lane road. Couple of close calls. I suppose people get used to the road being largely empty.
    [​IMG]

On the way into town, Druid suffered a broken chain and sprocket. Not sure which was cause and which was effect. He had a spare master link and got the chain back together. The sprocket was still a problem. Druid pointed out that it was Saturday the 4th of July and that shops would be closed Sunday and Monday for the holiday. I suggested we head back north to a more populated area and try to use the magic of ADV and perhaps some KTM forums to try to find a new or used sprocket that another rider might have.
    [​IMG]

Gas pump. Someone reported a vapor lock problem during the exceptional heat of the day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We didn't get to explore Jarbidge too much as we had other things to take care of. Even so, the place looked interesting. Evidence of mining.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to head north and get some posts up on the web to see if someone would be able to help out with a sprocket.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Looks very interesting. I'll have to add it to my winter reading list. Nice article in Scientific American on the drought issues in the SW as well.