CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike. A LOT of research goes into this ahead of time. A good way to pass the Wisconsin winters is to read books about places, scrub the web for info, and do a lot of map work. Sometimes it is a little difficult to tie a story to a specific location on the ground. I used to ride places, see cool stuff, and then try to learn more about it once I got home. I found out I was riding right by some interesting places and missing a lot. Also, getting the story after the visit wasn't as rich as knowing the story while I was standing on the ground where it happened. Sometimes the research, like doing the ride report, can turn into more of a chore than fun. The payoff is that sharing the research, waypoints, and stories makes it easy for a lot of other people to make the most of a trip of their own. Sometimes I even get comments from natives that tell me I am sharing information they never knew after living there their whole life. I usually have two or three rides researched and ready to pull the trigger on at the start of each riding season. There seem to be a lot of people that enjoy the history and stories whether they ever intend to visit an area or not. I love the riding but if I am going to travel somewhere, I prefer to add to the richness of the ride by finding out more about an area. I have draft routes that thread together POIs when I start a trip. After I sort things out on the trip, I revise the GPS file and publish it for others to draw from or ride. I also look up and waypoint dealers (by brand) and medical facilities for those unexpected repairs or parts that might be needed along the way. Hope that answers your question. :D
    PDX Alamo, Seventy One and sophijo like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Where are we off to next? Your house Jim! (just kidding)

I think I am going to have to come back to Idaho to explore the stuff I researched but could not include in this trip. I was amazed by how much interesting stuff there is in Idaho that is not as visible as the things we hear about in some of the more popular destination states. What a great place to ride and explore - on pavement or on dirt!
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Really enjoyed the discovery on this trip.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I trimmed a lot of great stuff to check out in that area due to the time constraints of this trip. I need to come back and check out the many more POIs I mapped out for the rest of the state.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along. Glad you are enjoying our trip!
  6. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reply. IMO ride reports like yours are the highest quality travelogues on the internet. Thank you for your time and effort sir.
    Mike
    PDX Alamo likes this.
  7. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well if do make it back to Idaho I would love to ride along.
  8. lunchmeat

lunchmeat MLI

Oddometer:
    Great report Canonshot. I grew up in southern Idaho and many of your pictures could have been taken then instead of recently. Life's pretty slow there. My grandfather was a concrete foreman on the Malad river power project and helped build that flume, power plant and dam. Lots of good hunting and fishing as well as riding all over there. Jarbidge has a colorful past with a history of going against the grain. Claude Dallas, convicted murderer of two game wardens, passed through there and reportedly got help from the locals back in the 80's. BTW there are quite a few mountain lions in those canyons, as well as Chukar and trout.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad you finding it useful and entertaining.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    That would be fun!
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Great info! That concrete work in the canyon must have been pretty involved from the looks of the structures. Neat that your grandfather was involved with it. I looked up the story about the murder of the two game wardens. A little disturbing that Claude Dallas was a hero to some people. Story here.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    North to Bruneau Dunes SP.

We headed north which involved some back tracking through the Jarbidge River canyons (which was fine since they were a nice ride).
    [​IMG]

We picked up some heavy raindrops for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can bump to 1080.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can bump to 1080.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Climbing back out of the canyon to higher flat ground.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much down this way except for grazing cattle on the open range.
    [​IMG]

Druid stopped to check on his sprocket. He thought he might have broken off a little more and was concerned about how long the remainder would last.
    [​IMG]

The long and straight road north.
    [​IMG]

The remnants of an old CCC built rock dam built to store water.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best to be very careful with the jumpy cattle around choke points like this one.
    [​IMG]

Had to spread out because of the dust.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I altered the route here to take in a canyon overlook and the Bruneau Dunes. On my maps in this report, I left the original BDR track on as a gray line so that people can see what varies between the BDR and the modified version we rode.
    [​IMG]

The eye of the needle looking road on the right side of the canyon is the overlook. Because of the shadows in the aerial, it is difficult to see what the canyon is like. It is about 3 miles off the "main" road on an out and back.
    [​IMG]

Here are a few shots from the overlook. Well worth the change to the route.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Air Force has a bombing and gunnery range in this area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have some great target arrays.
    [​IMG]

Obviously they are using practice bombs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Druid had been checking for a cell signal on the way north. When he got one people went to work trying to make connections that might produce a replacement sprocket. These included posting on ADV, calls back home for contacts there to take action and post on other forums, and even calls to local motorcycle club officers listed on the web that might be able to help out with a contact that could produce a sprocket. Now it was time to wait and see what all that produced on a 4th of July weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoke ring?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checked into the campground at Bruneau Dunes SP. The showers were great. More on Brimley and the sprocket the next morning.
    [​IMG]

About 450 miles today.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  13. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    It sucks to be hunting down parts on a holiday weekend. :cry
    Hope that didn't derail your ride too much...

Hey, I remember that thing! Yankee Fork Gold Dredge.
    You probably took the tour, so now I'll get to learn about it. :D
    Did you go to Custer? It will be fun to see what you report.

:lurker
  14. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed American Anti-FAscist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Circling Sagittarius A* in spaceship Baltimore
    Love me a Cannonshot joint :thumb

:lurkinlikeamofo

Me and some budds were doing the COBDR and UTBDR at the same time!
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hi LW! :wave

That side trip to the dredge was pretty nice. Some good road riding and inspiring scenery.

Thanks for tuning in! Those connected BDRs sound like a great trip.

Sorry for the delay on the next installment, I serve on a couple of state councils and I am away at a meeting for off-road stuff so I only have limited internet connectivity for a bit. I'll get back to it when I get back home.
  16. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics of Jarbridge !!
  17. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR
    What GPS were you using and any suggestions on best source to downloads maps
  18. Zaboo65

Zaboo65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great RR! I always enjoy reading the history!
  19. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always enjoy your history lessons...thanks for posting. I covered a lot of this territory around Jarbidge 4 yrs ago looking for a VERY remote grave south west of Jarbidge. Jean Baptiste Charbonneau (the infant taken on the Lewis and Clark Expedition) was headed in the direction of Jarbidge in 1861 and his wagon fell into a river 20+ miles south of Jarbidge and he apparently died from exposure. His grave is an hour ride south west of Jarbidge in a very remote desert.
  20. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yes!!! Something to absorb while the kid sleeps!!! Idaho is on my "to do" list......now if I could just get mobile daycare in a sidecar....hmm.....