CannonTrek.ID - Big Bikes in the Idaho Backcountry

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loving this ride report through my state. My bike was totaled in 2011, but when I get another big bike dual sport, I'm definitely doing the IDBDR. Thanks coming to Idaho and taking the time to research and prepare this report! K
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm back at it.

A run for parts.
    [​IMG]

Through the magic of ADV, a generous inmate stepped up to help Druid out with a replacement for his disintegrating sprocket. He even volunteered to meet in the middle distance-wise to deliver the sprocket. I rode with Doctor Zed who got the details of the transaction from Druid. Druid stayed at our campsite and got his bike prepared for a quick installation of the replacement sprocket when we got back.
    [​IMG]

Zed and I left plenty early so that we would be at the meeting spot ahead of time. We swung through the Bruneau Dunes and took a few pictures of these unique sand dunes in the middle of nowhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Climb away if you feel inclined.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to the meeting place and had some time to kill so we checked out some things there. The springs were pretty much an indoor swimming pool type arrangement.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our contact arrived right on time with a replacement sprocket in hand. We were all very grateful for his willingness to go out of his way to help another inmate. Without it we would have suffered some significant inconvenience to try to get the train back on the track with the broken sprocket and all.
    [​IMG]

With all this talk about a broken sprocket, I suppose people want to see a picture of it. I think Zed took this snapshot. (I think I have a picture of it I'll dig up later. It was an expensive tool steel sprocket that had some sections broken out of it. As a side note, we have more sprocket issues ahead later in the trip.)
    [​IMG]

I'm sure Druid will want to identify this helpful inmate by user name and thank him again for his time and effort in helping us out. We are all very grateful!
    [​IMG]

Lots of irrigation around. Zed and I were looking for a quick breakfast stop since we knew that Druid would have had breakfast at camp. Things looked pretty bleak. So far we only scored gas at an after-hours pump set-up. It was Sunday and nothing was open.
    [​IMG]

Our helpful inmate friend thought that there might be something at an old ferry crossing but with it being Sunday it was hard to tell. When we got to a bridge over the river that was adjacent to our route we spotted a gas station. We hit it and found they offered waffles - only waffles - and they were great. I think we fished a couple of sausage looking things from a hot dog case as well. Now we were set for the day. The 170 mile loop for parts was no big chore as there were a few interesting things (and waffles) along the way. And it was cooler than it had been temperature wise.
    [​IMG]

Coming up on the county seat. There wasn't much there. Unincorporated county seat with a population of 97.
    [​IMG]

The courthouse and sheriff are there. The Sheriff's Department isn't very big. The handful of deputies patrol 7,600 square miles. The county has a large land mass but it looks like the small population is mostly along the river on the north end of the county. It was interesting to see that Idaho Power pays for the part time deputies, training, equipment, and expenses for their boat patrol program. It was also interesting to see that they have a back country deputy dedicated to patrolling the massive relatively undeveloped area of the county. Keep in mind this is the county where the recluse shot the two game wardens.
    [​IMG]

There is an airstrip across the street from the courthouse and Sheriff.
    [​IMG]

We came upon one of the sites that addresses the Utter Disaster. There is a lot more detail laid out in this article that shows some of the horror and hardships that some people endured. It is a worthwhile read, but some may find it disturbing.
    [​IMG]

We got back to camp in Druid had the replacement sprocket installed in a jiffy. Soon we were back on the track working our way north again.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank. That canyon along the Jarbidge River branches is really nice.

We used a variety of Garmin units that included Montana, Oregon, and 62 series. We also had some highway style GPS units that were best for the trip out and back. We ran a combination of Garmin Topo and City Navigator maps and switched between them. If I had to pick only one map it would be Garmin Topo.

Thanks! Glad you enjoy the history.

Thanks. Glad you enjoy the history. I thought about how much time you must have spent out here pursuing your interests in all things Lewis and Clark. When I was doing the background for POIs in Idaho I came across a ton of information related to their travels. All interesting stuff!

Thanks for tuning in! Idaho is a great riding destination for sure.

Thanks. When you do ride the IDBDR, I hope you find some of the information we present in this report useful in your planning. I'm really impressed with how much Idaho has to offer. What a great place to ride!
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Along the Snake by Glenn's Ferry
    [​IMG]

A lot of irrigation for those spuds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sere without it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crossing to the north side of the Snake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crossing was no easy feat. Lots of overturned wagons and drowned stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bow fishing rig.
    [​IMG]

Coaling tower in Glenn's Ferry.
    [​IMG]

Main line running the contour of the river.
    [​IMG]
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  5. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    "OK, I'm back at it."

I don't know, when you are not at it! As usual, a fun report. Idaho is a very interesting state; but then, aren't they all.
  6. AnimalDr

AnimalDr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was interested to see what you thought of my old state. I was born in Grandview and graduated from Melba so I have spent much time in this area. I now live in Oregon.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Indeed, every state can be pretty interesting.

I hope you are enjoying seeing some familiar territory. A beautiful state with a variety of features.

During the period of our trip there were some fires burning but none of them blocked our route. We passed through Glacier on the way home and I was curious about what part of that park is burning. Here is a recent fire map. Obviously our route through the park would have been closed since the fire is along the road to Saint Mary.
    [​IMG]
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Working north to Pine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much water in the Blair Trail Reservoir.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice to see a few trees around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the top of Cat Creek Road. A short winding fun ride to the highway.
    [​IMG]

Cat Creek Road. A reminder that you can bump the video to 1080 if you like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a jog in the standard IDBDR route at this point to take in an overlook and some nice riding and rock formations. The regular route is visible below.
    [​IMG]

Castle Rock Road and Skull Rock. Twisty and rolling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'll visit some hard to get to ghost towns along the way (side trips).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading down toward Anderson Ranch Dam.
    [​IMG]

Anderson Ranch Dam is an earth rockfill dam on the South Fork of the Boise River. When it was completed in 1950, it was the tallest dam of its type in the world. Its primary purpose is to provide irrigation water.
    [​IMG]

A secondary purpose of the dam is to produce hydroelectric power. Upgrades have it up to about 40 megawatts.
    [​IMG]

Construction began in 1941. Big challenges with materials, fuel, and labor shortages due to the war. In 1942, work had to be stopped for 9 months. The Reclamation Act of 1902 had racial exclusions on labor that were strictly adhered to until Congress changed the law in 1943. After that, Japanese labor was brought in from the internment camp (Minidoka War Relocation Center) we visited earlier to work on the project.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A ride across the dam.

Anderson Ranch Reservoir is pretty big. The water was down significantly this year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When riding the road on the rim of the reservoir, one must be alert for things like giant motorhomes that take a disproportionate part of a corner.
    [​IMG]

Forest fires had ravaged part of the area.
    [​IMG]

Being the 4th of July weekend, there was a lot of recreational traffic around the reservoir.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And don't get distracted and go over the edge. It won't be pretty if you do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems like a long ride along the rim with all the twisting following the contour.
    [​IMG]

It seems a little longer in traffic.
    [​IMG]

Gas stop at Pine. This gas is relatively cheap. We paid as high as $7 a gallon for premium in the backcountry.
    [​IMG]
    AdVeId likes this.
  9. DruiD

DruiD riding too fast

Oddometer:
    I would like to throw out a sincere Thank-You! to adv inmate effensteve for going above and beyond to get me the sprocket I needed and offering anything else I would need to complete the repair. It really saved days of trouble and delay on our adventure. I have been a member here for a long time now and have helped and been helped numerous times. Advrider really is an asset for the kind of riding that we do! Thanks again.
    Bayner, markopol13, PDX Alamo and 5 others like this.
  10. AnimalDr

AnimalDr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Idaho falls 015.JPG shoshone falls in the spring. This being a short water year you did not see it at it's best
    Lucid likes this.
  11. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    Damn Druid, we need to find you some tuff-er sprockets! Third time may not be good. :lol3
  12. DruiD

DruiD riding too fast

Oddometer:
    I eat drive trains.

Looking forward to fusion drive!
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Heading north toward Trinity Lakes

[​IMG]

We stopped in Featherville for lunch.
    [​IMG]

Featherville Café
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good folks, good food. A pleasant stop.
    [​IMG]

This looks like what is left of a dredge that worked the area.
    [​IMG]

From 1922 to 1927, dredging took 32,777 ounces of gold out of here.
    [​IMG]

Heading north.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fire lookout.
    [​IMG]

Gate closed. No Trinity Lakes. No lookout.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! Much better with more water.

Indeed. :lol3
  15. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    "Looking forward to fusion drive!"

It's close! I read today that Audi is able to run an engine on water.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Off to the Rocky Bar Ghost Town

This is another modification (side trip) to the standard IDBDR route. The idea with this reroute was to explore a couple of ghost towns and take in some scenic riding at the same time.

The major detour (grey line marks standard BDR).
    [​IMG]

The segment to the Rocky Bar ghost town.
    [​IMG]

The 2012 Trinity Ridge Fire was a big one. It started when a UTV caught fire. It cost millions to fight this fire. Featherville and Pine were seriously threatened by this burn. Some of these towns, including Rocky Bar, were saved by risky back burns that could have turned into major fires themselves. Some of the assets dedicated to this fire included 11 helicopters, 2 dozers, 72 fire engines, 19 water tenders, and about 1,200 fire fighters. I think the military sent four C-130s as well. Three fire fighters were injured when a log came rolling down a steep hill and struck them as they fought the fire.
    [​IMG]

Fire burned the forest on the left side of the road but not the right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, you can bump the res to 1080.

[​IMG]

Rocky Bar started up with gold in 1863.
    [​IMG]

Wthin two years this settlement grew to the extent that it was being considered to become the capital of the Idaho Territory. The population grew to 2,500 people.
    [​IMG]

By 1864 someone put a toll road into this remote and hard to get to location. The town once served as the county seat.
    [​IMG]

The place burned in 1892 but was rebuilt. It almost burned again in 2012 but for the efforts of some heroic wild land fire fighters.
    [​IMG]

There was a large Chinese contingent mining in the area. It was common for the Chinese to find a place in old diggings.
    [​IMG]

A twelve stamp mill was hauled here from Omaha by oxen for 30 cents a pound.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting to imagine the traffic in this place back in the day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More on Peg Leg Annie in a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even now this place is kind of remote. No year-round residents remain. Only cottages.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a lot more buildings along the road as you climb out of town. Some are captured in this video.
  17. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
  18. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Another great history lesson!
    Thanks for taking us along.
  19. kyhoytarcher

kyhoytarcher Not all who wander are lost

Oddometer:
    Loving the ride report and knowing that a NC700 is capable!!!
  20. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys made it in to Atlanta, the true gonads of the State ! :lol3