CannonTrek III - 1100 Mile DS, 3 1/2 Days, 15 Start, 8 Finish

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just got back from sharing a great ride for nearly 1100 miles in the wild UP of Michigan. Fifteen riders from WI, MN, IA, MI, IL, IN, and OH got together through the magic of advrider.com and shared some great times. Eight made it to the end . . .

A few pictures for now . . . more later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Very nice Cannon.:thumb Can't wait to see what happened on this years trek.:ricky

:clap :eek1 :lol3 :lurk
  3. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    DAMN! I hope everyone is OK. I can't wait for the rest :thumb
  4. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    Chad - Not DAMN! But HOT_DAMN! :D

Stick around for the narration! :evil
  5. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like some hard get-offs going on and I bet alot of it was rider fatigue from a fast pace and long days. It definately looks like a blast and hopefully next year I can make it.

BTW, that chewed up hand pic looks nasty, did the pinky have 5 joints in it or is it broken? DAMNNNN!!!!!
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I have been fortunate enough to enjoy some outstanding riding in Michigan. Over the past few years, I have hosted a couple of rides in an effort to share some of those outstanding riding opportunities with a few others. Last year we did CannonTrek II which was a 1000 mile DS ride in the UP.

This year I continued to improve the route and we are now closer to 1100 miles over 3 1/2 days. That is about 300 miles for each of the first three days and nearly 200 miles for the last 1/2 day.

Needless to say we move right along. Even so, the focus of the trip was not just to enjoy some great trails, dirt, and gravel. We also worked in a bunch of "tourist stops" as part of the route.

We worked it out so that we had two motel nights and two camping nights. In the end, I think it cost each rider about $50 for all of their lodging expenses for the trip. There are more details in the CT III Planning Thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Nah . . . fatigue probably wasn't the problem . . . I'm sure some of these guys will give us some insight as we get further along in the trip report. :lol3

Without telling too much out of sequence, let me just say that he is fine. :D
  8. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Trying to weed out the lightweights Cannon? :rofl

Look forward to seeing the rest of the carnage.
  10. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hot Damn... you better get typing and fill us in!!
    :ear
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap This was an awesome ride and I can't wait to see some pics!
  12. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    Wow! That big orange pig of mine was on the ground just as much as it was upright. :lol3

Without a doubt, in hindsight the wrong tool for the job when it comes to this terrain, zero time in the saddle with it, coupled with my skill level. Kind of like bringing a .50 caliber machine gun to a sword fight. The 450 EXC will definitely be going next year.

As for the get off, I absolutely do not remember anything in-between locking up that piece of shit TerraFlex and being tended to on the side of the road. Any infill from riders behind me would be greatly appreciated. Big thanks to all who helped out with getting me wrapped up as well as the bike out of that ditch. Thanks to the gear, I consider myself very lucky to have sustained only 2 stitches out of the ordeal but I will probably be sore for a few weeks. My knees are swollen like grapefruits and I am already able to walk faster than a snail this morning.

Had the oppertunity to meet a great bunch of guys with some incredible riding skills. Also, big thanks to Cannon for putting this trip together and look forward to next year! :thumb
  13. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb :lurk
  14. FZ1 Matt

FZ1 Matt Better last than crashed

Oddometer:
    wow. That looks like a lot of falling down! I love it!:rofl
  15. Uneasy Rider

Uneasy Rider The life of Riley

Oddometer:
    The SE's were definitely pigs out on the trail. I felt like a baby elephant running with a pack of gazelles!
    I was right behind Hot Damn when the "incident" happened. Just a bad combination of too much speed, tar strips & Terra flex knobbies.
    I'm sure glad you are alright. It was a scary sight.

What an awesome, grueling, beautiful ride! The fatigue was definitely a factor for me. Even today I can hardly type this!
  16. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    WOW.....looks like some major carnage!

Hope everyone made it out of 'da woods ok...
  17. jzee

jzee John Z

Oddometer:
    Hot Dam getting checked out. Wouldn't let me go back and get the trailer to haul him out. He said he rode in, he will ride out.

Attached Files:

18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I suppose we better consolidate a damage report. First, to get a picture of mechanical issues that might help others prepare for a trip like this (e.g. aluminum sprockets wear exceptionally fast in the sand), and second to list any injuries anyone might have gotten. Post your info in the report and I'll consolidate it in this post. (List bike model as well)

Cannon: (DRZ 400S) no injuries, no get-offs or tipovers, not even the dreaded monkey butt, replaced a tail light bulb at a gas station on day 2, burned up most of a rear tire, ready to go again

Cowboy2: (DR 650) over the bar get off in the sand that resulted in a couple of fractured ribs on day 1

Hot Damn!: (KTM 950) bit by a tar snake on day 3 resulting in a high side, landed in ditch with 950 on top of him, banged up with two stiches to close hole in finger, bike was fine except for a dented exhaust pipe when he crashed on top of Critic and his bike in a mud hole (Critic's sprocket got it), not satisfied with his KLIM Mojave gloves (see hand pic), burned hole through rain pants during a mishap, terraflex shot, assorted minor damage from the high side (turn signal, bezel, etc), hit a branch with his unprotected shin (forgot knee guards)

F.I.B.: (KLR 650) right rear turn signal, luggage rack shook loose (shed some bolts), loose battery terminal that failed while in the mud, sore knee from mishap, rear tire ground off the bottom three inches of his rear fender

Meefzah: (KLX 250) no biffs, blew a trail corner on day 2 but managed to thread through the trees, no injuries and no bike problems, liked his Kenda Southwick tires on the sand, used up most of the rear

Jack_: (DRZ 400S) no get offs, one tip over (on video :lol3 ) in a mud hole, no bike problems

somecallmetim: (KLX 250) no get offs, tipped over in a mud hole, bike good, no injuries, aggravation of wet feet every day

Monty Sedgwick: (KTM 950) multiple tips, two face plants (log xing get off with face down slide up the trail, mud hole over the bars), bent brake lever, fuel pump problems due to water, sore but otherwise good

Uneasy Rider: (KTM 950SE) dropped it in the sand on a corner day 2, sprained wrist, sore hands, broken bike cam lens, failed luggage zipper

jzee: (KTM 640e) pitched into the trees off of the Highwater Truck Trail but avoided collision, broke a mirror, a rock took out his GPS

Mr. Salty: (KLR 650) luggage rack fasteners, rotated the bars/triple tree, plastic, strap trouble (use rachet straps), helmet visor, rock in throttle keeping it closed, D606s wore well, wet starter relay, big bruise, sore arms
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I liked the story about the hospital not wanting to release Hot Damn! because they thought he was "disoriented" because he didn't know where he was or where he was going. His disorientation wasn't from an injury, he REALLY didn't know where he was or where he was going. He had been all over much of the UP by taking the "back way" by then. Jzee had to go in an bust him out of there. :lol3
  20. Jack_

Jack_ Addict

Oddometer:
    The DRZ400 was an excellent bike for the trip. The corbin seat and sheepskin helped a lot. No break downs, no offs, one tip over in a quicksand pit which was more funny than anything! :) MT21s worked okay, wear was good.

I had a couple extra ratchet straps that were put to good use.