CannonTrek III - 1100 Mile DS, 3 1/2 Days, 15 Start, 8 Finish

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jun 15, 2008.

1. willnevergrowup

willnevergrowup Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog Sounds like my weekend following Chad around the northern Wisconsin woods!!

Can't wait for the rest of the report!
  2. somecallmetim

somecallmetim Surf &/or Die

Oddometer:
    Thanks again to Cannon for putting on such a cool ride.:clap The KLX ran flawlessly, I tipped over in the same mudhole that Jack did, other than that no get-offs. The only thing that bothered me was having wet, stinking feet most of the trip, by the third day they were getting pretty sore.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    We had a variety of skill levels on the trip. Some solid dirt riders and some people who were less comfortable with some of the sand, obstacles, and trail surfaces. Some of the less experienced riders made it to the end without too many problems. There was a lot of coaching and assistance available. It was satisfying watching some people's skills improve. In the situation we were in, it was probably like going into an intense immersion skills course.

The big difference between the skill levels was how fast you were able to tackle some of the trail and obstacles. The experienced guys sported it up a bit, while some of the others were more deliberate. No doubt it was good fun no matter the skill level.

Like we said up front, ride your own pace . . . we'll wait if we need to.
  4. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    I had about 4 or 5 tip overs during off-trail obstical navigation and 2 face-plants.

I had 1 mud/water related fuel pump failure on the way to the Rocket Range which caused me to divert to campground at the point.

The first face plant was when my back tire took a walk on me when I was attempting to pop over a downed tree. I saw how Kent took it and went into the ditch and chose a different angle of attack. Big mistake! I should have took it at a right angle and just dealt with the ditch when I got over. It cost me a bent, but totally usable, rear brake pedal. My upper right cowl took some battle scars as Steve (uneasy_rider) was calling them. My right hip was a little sore from this crash.

My second face plant caused no damage to me or the bike. On the 3rd day, the all-mud ATV trail was just too much fun. I was pushing faster than I could think and then realized I wasn't setup to skirt the edge of a large mud hole. I just said the hell with it, went for it, and the big 950 dropped from about 20 MPH to zero in 6 feet. I went over the bars, but got up just fine. The rut was deep enough that my bike was almost upright making it much easier to lift. Jzee helped me get it upright and out of the rut.

I was running dog-assed slow for most of the trip, so I didn't have any problems with pinch flats. I was running (at CJRACER's suggestion) a Dirt Shark up front and a Terra Flex in the back. It was a good combo. I had Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes and ran pressures between 19 (sand) and 29 (rocky trail) up front and 12 (sand) and 18 (rocky trail) in the back.

So put me down for a bent rear brake lever and a disabled fuel pump. I'm going to live with the bent lever (it isn't bad) but replace with failure prone KTM/Mistubishi fuel pump as soon as possible. The pump is a POS for sure, but it is field serviceable! :D
  5. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    That looks awesome...and nothing like last year's ride.

:lurk
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Instead of last year's forest fire, drought, and dust, we had rain every day, a lot of water around, and a lot of trees down due to a storm or two. (You would have liked it . . .:evil )
  7. Louge

Louge silence of the limbs

Oddometer:
    yellow house 25 miles NW of the white house
    ÿo Bryan ... where do I sign up for CannonTrek IV¿? :D
    Hope we can hook up at WestFest for the Gordy world tour ...

OOO shit, isn't an IV sumthin they use in hospitals??? :huh
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:

Hey Louge! Good to hear from you. Join up next year, I think you would find it is worth the trip.
  9. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2009 Kaw KLX250.

I used up most of a new Kenda Southwick rear tire. No bike damage and no injuries. I did just take a wicked homecoming crap after 4 days sans, though; so maybe add trail constipation to the list? :lol3

Those Southwick tires are kickass in the sand, by the way, if anyone is considering a nice loose sand tire.
  10. Uneasy Rider

Uneasy Rider The life of Riley

Oddometer:
    I suffered one drop, on day two while taking a loose sand right hand corner. Too much throttle & I spun out.

Aside from having to be jump started the first day, (thanks for the jump Meefza) my bike ran perfect & sustained no damage.

I seem to have a sprained rh wrist & both hands are very sore.
    My bike cam took a direct hit on day 1, & my overstuffed tank bag zipper failed on the last day.

Here is a clip of day 1. The beginning of the sand. The cameras lens had already been damaged, so the footage is a little rough.

The Super Enduro was a challange in the sand, to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUp8QFeYZB4
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I came up Tuesday night to check on a buddy's nearby cabin that had been broken into (skeeter) arriving in the middle of the night. By the way, Skinner (who also has a cabin in the area) generously offered us anything we needed from his set up. Another example of the ADV family looking out for each other.

Eventually I went over to the motel and set up the welcome banner.
    [​IMG]

As riders came in, they unloaded and lined up their bikes.
    [​IMG]

This guy had obviously done this before. Load the bike for the trip and then cover it with a tarp until it is time to go.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yooper DRZ (left) stopped by to admire us for being the tough bastards we are . . . or something like that. Also pictured L to R are Meefzah, somecallmetim, and Cowboy2.
    [​IMG]

Critic trying various combinations to come up with a waterproof glove.
    [​IMG]

Cannon enjoying the UP summer (40s and rain) while manning his check in station in the parking lot.
    [​IMG]

Pre-ride social. L to R Monty Sedgwick, somecallmetim, Critic, DruiD, Cannon, tedmarshall, Cowboy2, Meefzah, and F.I.B.
    [​IMG]

L to R Meef, F.I.B., jzee, Monty (prophetically acting out a get off he will soon have :lol3 ), Tim, and Critic.
    [​IMG]

tedmarshall and Cowboy2
    [​IMG]

Monty, Tim, and Critic
    [​IMG]

jzee and Hot Damn! These two would soon be spending a lot of time together (like in the emergency room) . . .
    [​IMG]

Monty, tim, Critic, Druid
    [​IMG]

The bikes at bed time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleep tight. See you boys for a 0700 departure. . .
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ohh, it's like I'm riding it all over again! Yahhhh! :wings C'mon, let's roll!
  13. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    HOT DAMN! Damage Report
    <o:p></o:p>
    2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro – 3 drops, 1 crash at speed
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Gear <o:p></o:p>
    KLIM Mojave gloves are comfortable but completely worthless for protection in get off.
    Cabela’s Rain Gear – burnt hole in pants from muffler on 3 MPH dump when front tire hit hidden tree root in sand.
    All other gear performed flawlessly
    Bike <o:p></o:p>
    3 Drops only damage was dented front jug head pipe from Critic’s sprocket. (SORRY CRITIC!)
    1 Crash – broken front right turn signal, cracked headlight bezel, cracked right side Cycra wind guard from Pro Bend hand Guards, loose front brake perch, assorted scratched plastic.
    Completely squared off TerraFlex
    Self<o:p></o:p>
    3 drops no damage
    While riding, I hit a tree branch at high speed that flipped up and whacked my shin directly above my boot resulting in serous pain and swelling. (note – forgot shin/knee guards in closet at home)
    1 Crash – rashed up right hand in need of 2 stitches to close hole, sore right shoulder from impact, sore right and left knees from impact with severe swelling.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm gonna try and make this next year. Just as long as you promise it's not going to be any easier. Maybe I should mount a chainsaw to the bike?:D
  15. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zach, you need to join in on one of these rides sometime to experience it with us first hand!
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    That chainsaw would be useful - although there weren't too many fallen trees that defeated us.
  18. F.I.B.

F.I.B. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Broken RH rear turn signal
    mounting bolts for rack lost/broken (had to fall off in the mud)
    bad connection @ battery has to fail in 6" of mud
    sore knee (dropped bike on it)
    bottom 3" of rear fender lost on trail (chewed up by D606)
    Other than that the ego took a hit.

What a BLAST!!!! :D
    Mark
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    This is the day one route. It is about 300 miles and will take us about twelve hours of travel time.
    [​IMG]

Riders were up early getting their bikes set up for a 0700 departure. Here is Cowboy2 signing the back of the CT III banner.
    [​IMG]

somecallmetim doing the same thing. We have the finishers sign again at the end.
    [​IMG]

Lining up for departure. Making final checks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A final rider's briefing.
    [​IMG]

Class Pictures:

Dirt Hammer, Mr. Salty, Meefzah, Hot Damn!
    [​IMG]

Critic, Monty Sedgwick, somecallmetim, F.I.B.
    [​IMG]

Critic, Druid, Cowboy2, tedmarshall
    [​IMG]

Jack_, Cannonshot, jzee, Uneasy Rider
    [​IMG]

Group shot at a nearby static display.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know a couple of guys that could use this label on their motorcycle seat . . . :lol3
    [​IMG]

Heading out.
    [​IMG]
  20. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    That first intro post with all the downed bikes is crazy stuff Cannonshot....

This looks like a doozey! :lurk