CannonTrek III - 1100 Mile DS, 3 1/2 Days, 15 Start, 8 Finish

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    See how you miss all the extra entertainment when you don't ride with the group? :lol3

(That chain saw you've got is definitely 950 size too.)
  2. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I will never forget that section of trail! Heck of a place to learn how to ride sand.
    [​IMG]
  3. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are old farts that never learned to deal with michigan sand. Some of those county roads in the summer dry out, become fluffy sand. The damp riding you did is in most cases preferred to fluffy dry summer sand. Some of our layout was done in early spring and the puddles were frozen.You've done a great job of adding sights, gas, accommodations, and streamlined it into a figure "8" ride that can be done with minimal luggage for campers or motelling. Gets me all pumped to do it again.
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    You're right, that Lewis is an idiot. Didn't he see that he could have just ridden around the log?:D
  5. tengai

tengai *

Oddometer:
    That looks like a lot of fun and a lot of work. 1,100 miles in 3 1/2 days? I better start getting myself into shape if I'm ever going to make it.

I didn't see you guys stop for one cigarette break. :lol3
  6. Wannabee

Wannabee Survivor of Reality

Oddometer:
    MAN! This would be the dream ride for me!Maybe one year I will be a true adventure and join such an outstanding ride!:clap
  7. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    really gret pics as usual. :lurk
    [​IMG]
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Since you never know where it will turn up, my standard warning for folks that come on this ride is to be prepared to ride sand. Last year, when it was so dry, even some favorite woods sections that are usually damp and stable were sugary loose.

I've been able to substitute some trail or two track sections in some of the places where we are close to the original route as well. These are kind of a reward after you take a road section. As you know, to cover the UP you will have to do some significant road sections just to cover the distance.

Come ride it again and check out the changes! I think you will be pleased. The GPS track is well developed. You won't need the maps.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I was able to consolidate pictures from some of the riders who contributed for this report. Eventually some of these guys will post some video clips as well. Guys that contributed pix were Cannon, Critic, DruiD, Jack_, Meefzah, Salty, and Uneasy Rider.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Remarkably, we take a lot of breaks. We just ride briskly in between. :lol3
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I remember how discouraged you were in a couple of those sandy spots - I had to talk you out of quitting the trail to head for the roads. I'm sure we're both glad you saw it through. :lol3
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I have learned to never trust a water hole - no matter how small.
    [​IMG]

Critic is already down in this hole. Hot Damn! is piling on top of him and his bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    TENGAI:
    There are plenty of motels and campgrounds in the area. A moderate pace, with getting on the trail by 8AM and riding till 5 or 6PM, and snacks for lunch will allow 275 to 325 mile days without too much trouble. If it is dry, and hot....old farts like me can't maintain quite that level of speed on sand though. Club members suggest for sand a Michelin S12 front and Dunlop 756 on the rear. They aren't DOT legal, and obviously require caution on damp pavement. I've never been checked in the woods for DOT tires in 40 years of riding. When we laid out some of these sections, we had riders between 40 and 70....so it's not difficult....but ride carefully. Also, Gerber and Sven make folding saws handy for tree trimming. 5 minutes with a $20 saw will preclude $$$$$ worth of broken plastic....or a trip to the e-room.....if it's under 50 miles away.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I made a route (in addition to the tracks) for people that might use a GPS that couldn't take the trackline. The route obviously couldn't include the sections that were off routable roads, but it ran close as kind of a bail out tool if needed. Somecallmetim was running a 2610 with the route. On a few occasions I asked Tim to lead the ride (when I knew the route would cover it - you'd be surprised what is routable in the UP) so I could fall into the pack and relax a little. He did so and did a great job - diligently making head counts and appropriate stops to round up the group. Also, when I would go back looking for stragglers on the trail, sometimes DruiD would take the lead and keep the ride moving. I have to thank both of these guys for keeping the ride going and for giving me a few breaks. :thumb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to throw in an ore train . . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadows are getting long, and it has been a long day of downed trees and the like . . . time to head for the motel.
    [​IMG]

Fish fry back at the motel. We loaded up some pix on the computer and had a few laughs.
    [​IMG]

End of day 2. Critic let us know he was going out with tire trouble and fatigue. (Which surprised me because I have ridden a lot with him before - including this ride last year - and not only is he an excellent rider but he is a tough son of a gun too.) Tedmarshall was a no-show the next morning so we were now down to 12 going into the second half.
  15. YZman

YZman Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer:
    Way around???? Common dont you see it. The hot line is right there!

[​IMG]

Clear out a branch or 2 and Im over that thing :D

Man some of you guys ride some big honkin bikes in the woods.

I like the way you think chief! Less is more.

Lovin the ride report so far. Wish I could of been there.

Pirelli Scorpion front and Kenda Trackmaster rear. Both are DOT. The Scorpion is very similar to the S-12 and the trackmaster is a clone of the Dunlop 752. A very good combination for michigan sand and DOT requirements.

The Kenda seems to wear very well also.
  16. tengai

tengai *

Oddometer:
    You know what YZman? I have absolutely no idea how I would take that as I've never crossed a downed tree that big.

I like the way you think though, I was thinking more along the lines of clearing out a few of those branches, and a length of 2x10 for a ramp and jump the thing.

I don't imagine there are too many 2x10's laying around in the U.P. however.

What's the trick to crossing something like that? I'm guessing loft the front wheel and land it on it's crest, then snake the bike over the rest of the way. :scratch

Obviously, I'm no Jommy Lewis.
  17. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    In this case the trick was to go around.

If that was not an option, yes, the way over would be lofting the front wheel and getting it over, stopping pretty much with the tree under the skidplate; then putting your feet on the tree (straddling it) and pushing with both feet while working the rear wheel over. 'Course the spearlike branches would have to get broken off first, lest bike parts or rider parts get impaled. :thumb
  18. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Everything looks easier in pictures afterward...especially when you didn't bother going to begin with.

I could have jumped all those mud holes. I don't know why you guys rode through them.
  19. DruiD

DruiD riding too fast

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I had one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life....
  20. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    +1 Thanks brother! :clap

I think I'm going to make your quote my signature line. :D

+1 on Jay's comment - this is the trip was the most fun I've had in years. YEARS!