CannonTrek IX (1100 Miles, 4 Days, Sand, Rock, & Dirt)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    So far we made it through the first two days (of 4) on this iteration of an 1100 mile CannonTrek. About 600 miles in so far. Lost one rider for a half a day at the hospital but he is back in action now. It is pretty hot and the sand is pretty dry.

Here are a few pix from the first two days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    VERY very good pix

Good job Cannon!
  3. John-610

John-610 John W.

Oddometer:
    More please!!
  4. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    I'm so envious! I swear, one day, I'll do it too. Weeeee!!!!:p3rry
  5. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Excellent photo.
    [​IMG]
  6. Pinktoad

Pinktoad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the rest! From John's account, it was a fantastic trip.
    Very nice photography Cannon.
    Tracy
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Finished up today. We started with 8 riders on Thursday and finished with 9 riders on Sunday. :dunno

A few more pix from the past two days. I'll follow through with some details once I rest up a bit.

Finishers (minus the photographer).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally, I would have picked a different spot to crash. :dunno
    That green stuff is kind of nasty and smells real bad.
    [​IMG]

Although, it was a popular spot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Sometimes the conditions were just right.

More pictures, stories, and fun on the way!

This ride is a blast, but it leaves you pretty beat up and tired at the end of each day.

Thanks!

Indeed, it was a great time. I think we about wore John out. He sure did some great riding!
  9. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    another nice trip bryan.....well done....solid organized leadership as usual...get some rest.
  10. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. SSG B

SSG B Rounds complete

Oddometer:
    :lurk

My father was on this trip (you know, the one that ended up in the ER on Day 1) and I need to see more pictures so I can convince myself that I "need" to buy a WR250R and tag along on the next one. Once I teach myself how to ride a dirt bike again....it has been about 20 years give or take.
  12. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was the dumb-arse that ended up in the Manistique Emergency Room on Day 1. Trees are the proverbial "immovable object" if you aren't mounted on a track-hoe or a D9 Cat. :(:

Foot got caught betwixt footpeg and tree - bad deal! Hey! That toe looks wrong! Ouch!!

Attached Files:

13. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaahhhh. That's more like it. Nothing broken, just dislocated. Finished the single-track, rode a bit on the ATV trail, then forest road to the highway and 27 miles to town. That was the end of day one for me.

Attached Files:

14. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There were two of us on KLR 650s. One could really ride, and then there was me. These rides can be done on a fat pig of a bike but it makes a hard ride much harder. I don't recommend it. F.I.B. just got on his and rode like he was going to the corner store for a pack of smokes - he makes it look easy.

The single-track is a bitch. Sand is hard, hard work. The "whoops" are hell on the suspension; mine bottomed many times - both front and rear.

A TKC80 on the front is bad - especially at 22psi. At 14, it starts to grip but the rocks beat the hell out of your rim. No tube splits but I heard the rim contact many, many rocks. A D606 on the rear is good!

Bryan leads a hell of a ride - I heartily recommend going!

The pictures he takes are awesome! Be ready for something nasty, though, when he has you wait for him to get set up ahead. :evil

Thanks a heap, Cannonshot! It was hard work but I'd go again next week. After I recover, that is.

Jon
  15. GooseR6

GooseR6 Ride the World!

Oddometer:

If you want to be as tough as nails, like dear old dad, you need to do this trip with the following:

-KLR with street tires
    -Work Boots
    -No Protective Gear
    -Hot Street Helmet

The man was a trooper. Even with all his bike and gear related disadvantages he rode like a champion. Please don't let him get a WR. I won't be able to keep up with him and won't get to have a chuckle at his expense.

Great Trip!
  16. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer:
    Some of this looks familiar! DryFire and I just finished Cannon's UPAT Sat night on our KLR650s and I'm finally home and catching up on ADV. Hopefully a RR will start sometime this week.

I see you guys found the "bridge" of logs we left (some were already there) getting over that culvert.

Funny story: Somewhere on gravel sort of near Silver Falls (I think), three dirtbikes emerged from some single track. We stopped and talked. They asked if we were with a big group. I said no, but knew there was a "CannonTrek" going on this weekend. One guy was an ADVer (hi gporter :wave) and said he'd heard of that.

Glad to see you guys had fun.
  17. SSG B

SSG B Rounds complete

Oddometer:
    I chalk his toughness up to "OMS" (old man strength):lol3:rofl:lol3

I don't think I could do it on a KLR regardless of the tires, you see I am no where near as tall as he is (read Milk Man :deal)! Plus, I would like to think I am smarter than that! I have had the pleasure of ripping up the grass in the grove of trees at his house on that pig of a bike he calls a KLR, it is fun, but it is still a pig of a bike!

I heard (and saw the pic) of the WR that was on the trip, can the owner of that bike please chime in and let me know how it was? I would like to see one in my garage soon. I would have to lower it ALL the way down.
  18. GooseR6

GooseR6 Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    I think John would be less worn out without the 50 lbs. of weight in his back pack. He told me Wednesday night that he didn't think the ride was going to be challenging enough without it though.
  19. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    By day three I was having a hard time keeping up with the KLRs!
  20. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm ordering new tools asap. I think my tool roll is 20 pounds. What the hell was I thinking?! :lol3

Great ride with great folks. I really enjoyed it immensely and possibly even learned a thing or seventy.

Just got home after a 28-ish hour day. Time to take a nap. Looking forward to seeing what gets posted while I sleep. Hopefully there's a pic or two of me upright on the bike, although I kind of doubt it... :muutt

John