1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

CannonTrek U.P. 14 (4 days, 1,100 miles of DS fun)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Cannonshot, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The next morning thunderstorms rolled through about 0500. I told the guys to sleep in and we'd start after the worst of it passed. In the mean time I redid the route for today to adjust for the lost time. I see the hose is still out from when the guy running the motel brought it over to help us wash bikes halfway through the trip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding up Mt Mesnard. I should mention that I was pretty happy with my Klim Badlands riding suit. It had plenty of ventilation for when things were warm and the vents zipped up nicely for waterproofness during the periods of rain we had. I like the integrated armor which was great for dual sporting. I wore Sidi waterproof boots which also performed well. I opted for a dual sport helmet (FX-41DS) because of the threat of rain and it worked fine as well. I would have been pelted in the face quite a bit during the rain if I had worn my moto helmet.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YYjwQAFd3D4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

Nice overlook.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still foggy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marqette
    [​IMG]

Ship leaving the ore dock.
    [​IMG]

Looking over the top of a waterfall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what the repair was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MmrT21zXEFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

Old mine works.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near Champion.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TcD69lBPCT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Near Craig's Lake State Park.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/11Z_dgiYWxE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DV1gIf0dtRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1efBwDZZeHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i1NhGzR2XnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gas stop in L'Anse.
    [​IMG]
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Great riding with you Brandon. Hope the report brings back many pleasant memories for you. :thumb
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    A little mishap heading out of L'Anse. No serious harm done.
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the lift bridge in Houghton.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

World's heaviest lift bridge. More information about it in some of my other UP reports.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The National Park Service took over this old smelter. They have a great historic district on the Keweenaw Peninsula.
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WvfYFdC89hI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wyd6arP9H6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Lq7kEHdJAII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

Old trestle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gas at Allouez.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of new restrictions around on the peninsula.
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yr0H46cm4xo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LPGwkKzIZgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Le366DkuAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice riding on Brockway Mountain.
    [​IMG]

New overlook on Brockway (overlooks Copper Harbor).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A ride through the Estivant Pines. Some old growth trees there that got overlooked in the harvest.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V19cp_My3wM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?! Supporter

Oddometer:
    As always enjoying your ride report! Today I took a little scouting trip on the 990, did the section from St Ignace to Paradise, though I skipped the culverts. Got a little sketchy in the sand but didn't drop her. Think I'm going to take the DRZ when I do the full route. Just hoping winter holds off a few more weeks!

Thanks so much for sharing the tracks. Love the Upper Peninsula.

~Chris
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Tire trouble.
    [​IMG]

We talked about trying to make it last for the miles we had left but decided that never really works to well so we went to work fixing it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final stretch out to High Rock Bay and the eastern tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Lots of people have questions about the condition of this last section of road. I decided to video it instead of trying to explain it. It is in the best condition I have ever seen it. It still has water holes and hidden rocks though.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WgcOeSzCw4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The tip. On some CannonTreks we've camped here over the years.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in the day a ship got caught in a storm. The pilot house was washed away. They tried to squeeze around the tip of the Keweenaw and hit the rock where there is now a light station. They held out on the rocks for a few days burning wood from the ship until rescuers found them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keeping an eye on that tire.
    [​IMG]

High Rock Bay.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading back out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading to the Rock-It (Rocket) Range.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rOmbxRZKPJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They did some experiments here with launching weather rockets from buoys. I posted details in my UPAT report or Western UP History report.
    [​IMG]

Soft gravel beach.
    [​IMG]

Been here in the winter on a snowmobile as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aiming rail.
    [​IMG]

I've got a nice back route heading toward Copper.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DR2yZL5FTRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Start of US 41. Goes to Flo-ridia.
    [​IMG]

Shorter day due to lopping off some miles due to thunderstorms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ferry to Isle Royale.
    [​IMG]
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Chris, I'm glad you got to enjoy some of the tracks. Good idea skipping the culverts if you were alone. Kind of dim back there.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Nice shore roads heading out of Copper Harbor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eagle Harbor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great Sand Bay
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jacob's Falls
    [​IMG]

Gas in Allouez.
    [​IMG]

More details on this area in this report.

Calumet Theater.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped here for a part of a minor repair for one of the riders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old mine buildings nicely preserved.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view toward Mt Arvon - once the highest point in Michigan. Now the highest point is a stockpile for the mines near Negaunee.
    [​IMG]

The ORV trail in Hancock runs on a sidewalk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ArDo001T1To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E-ioKGfP03I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This trail went cold.
    [​IMG]

Stopped by here and took a quick tour.
    [​IMG]

It took about 20 people to run this thing. They lived on the site.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gas at L'Anse.
    [​IMG]
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. Thanks for the report. Can't believe you guys made it thru the mud the first few days.

Us desert rats would probably have bailed in the first few miles.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XefGH8Os4Vk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pesky beavers again.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BTaD-MneGqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slate Quarry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uuFc0oiv9NA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ydR_ZSAMtDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Egs7-SwMqFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5_CaYPyfW6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

40 Foot Falls. Not sure what the drop is though. :dunno
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Informal campsite at the top of the falls.
    [​IMG]

Path out of 40' Falls.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eTv8-9oDX3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_WDq5NcDVOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New mine in the area. The mining company is spending $20M+ to improve area roads to support their operation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From an old sand road to a modern well built path.
    [​IMG]

Truck trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ford bought a bowling pin factory in Big Bay and converted it to his use. He built this inn for his people to stay in when they visited the area.
    [​IMG]

Gas in Big Bay.
    [​IMG]
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    It was a blast! The up side is that the rain firms up the sand a bit making it much more pleasant to ride.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Lots of construction on Big Bay Road (related to the mine).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RlRz79imTsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/13Xp9HNWuog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pB8qyYvOTzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Short hill climb on one of the truck trails. Not a big problem on a small bike. I spun the wheel in a steep and soft spot and dug it in (twice).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U5-zpZzs8_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Kye122jtcz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U5-zpZzs8_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/13Xp9HNWuog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pTfFZL-T5cQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ptlMf29XJp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yolreIK1Lao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back in Marquette.
    [​IMG]

Tread check on Maxxis desert tires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packing up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tread check stock Maxxis on KTM.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy crew.
    [​IMG]
  13. sophijo

sophijo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done!
  14. huntertim214

huntertim214 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    another fantastic ride report!! Thanks for all the hard work, looked like a great ride. Good thing you weren't up there last week, they had a rather epic storm roll off the Lake for this time of year! Reported 10'-20' waves. Lakeshore Drive was closed down under 2' of water.
    Black Rocks Cove, near Marquette (picture by Photo Yoop)
    [​IMG]

and here's a shot of it on a nice day for perspective
    [​IMG]

another shot of the Lake by Photo Yoop:
    [​IMG]
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Nice R/R!
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! We sure had fun. Thanks for the storm pix. I'm glad we missed the worst of the weather.
  17. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Geospatial nerdout time!

So this is the second time I've heard this claim. Conveniently, I have the tools to investigate it now!

I went out and got the latest digital elevation model for this area available from the USGS. It happens to be from the ASTER dataset (https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/products/aster_products_table/astgtm) and acquired on October 17th, 2011.

Mt. Arvon is 603 meters above sea level, it's easy enough to find anything else in this area 575m or taller. Tallest thing I could find was indeed the the mine pile at 585 meters, but still a bit short of Mt. Arvon.

But.... You could make the claim that the data is almost 3 years old and it's close enough that given the accuracy of it, it may actually be taller than Mt. Arvon..... So I did a little more digging. Only reference I could find was: https://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=21230&p=263556 which refutes the claim, but has different numbers than me.

OK, I'll get back to work now....
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    James, you better hustle over to the mine and tell them to quit making this claim. :D

I was there in person on a tour last month and they were bragging up this claim. I would guess they know what they are talking about since they seem to measure about everything associated with their operation. I think I saw a guy with a laser measuring device trying to use it to figure out how long something would take. :evil

If you get a chance, take the mine tour when it is available during the summer season. It is a fantastic experience - especially with the inside look at a working taconite plant.

19. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannon,

Where was this pic taken? Trying to take off tomorrow or Friday to ride some of the UPAT.

20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:

Black Slate Falls SE of L'Anse MI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]