Canon de Guadalupe to Highway 3, San Felipe, tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Dusty41, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Dusty41

Dusty41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for tracks From Canon De Guadalupe south that are big bike friendly. No deep sand.
    End up in San Felipe
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden South out of there many times-----several different ways-----------I myself would never take a big bike out there. I'd stay home before I did that.
    Always rode a lighweight dualsport or plated dirt bike. Struggled on them sometimes.
    It's not always the sand---------sometimes it can be slick mud getting close to 5.
    I've even got sideways with the slick salt layer in that area.
    It all changes with how the moisture is.
    Conditions on the track someone will give you can change severely from day to day.

Next post will be someone saying it's easy and he did it on a big bike---wait for it----------it will come.
  3. Dusty41

Dusty41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info, do you have a gps track you can share, thanks Jim
  4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Here's a few in that area------------I probably got lots more but would have to dig for hours.
    Been there so many times and have slept since then.

Attached Files:

5. Dusty41

Dusty41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big Dog thanks mucho, hey the question is what bike were you riding, how wet was the area. Is it doable on bike bikes??
    Thanks Jim
  6. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Jim,
    Glad to try and help----but some of your questions have no answer--------as conditions change.

If someone tells you it was dry and easy when they rode thru on a 800 lb. bike-----------that don't mean squat----------------what matters is what conditions are like the day you ride thru.
    And nobody knows what that will be-------------nobody. The only thing to do--------is get out there and try it.

How wet you ask--------I've seen it so wet and greasy near the hwy 5 Southeast of Guadelupe you can't move. Had to go back. Another time dry and dusty and we were riding wide open across the dry lake.

By the way my comments are for the tracks leading South out of Canyon Guadelupe-----------anything else is another matter. There's a jillion ways to go down there.

I have ridden a Husky TE610, KTM 690, KTM EXC 350 and a Yamaha WR250R down there-------all performed excellent.

Again-------------the brand of bike doesn't matter-------it's the weight of the bike that can bite you in the ass when conditions get tuff. I do good on a bike that weighs about 300 lbs. or less down there. Or anywhere where conditions get tuff for that matter. It ain't just down there------that applies everywhere.

BigDog
    Hill Climber likes this.
  7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Camping at the hot springs-------watch out for trespassers-------they'll get into your back pack and eat all your goodies.
    [​IMG]

and then they won't leave.
    [​IMG]

When it's dry on the dry lake
    [​IMG]

Same area when it's so mucky you can't move-----that white stuff (salt) is like snot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Way back in 2007----me and a few buddies were running wide open across the dry lake bed and this one guy hit some poof dust 2 ft. deep------------went over the bars at a high rate of speed and said his leg was broke and was squealing like a pig---------it wasn't. That's me on the right when I was a bit younger and skinnier. Husky TE610 I rode that year.
    Honda XR650R's were the hot ticket back then.
    In this picture you can see Highway 5 off in the distance----to the East.

[​IMG]
    Beaumont Paco and jonz like this.