Can't decide on crash bars for Africa Twin...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Hecklerboy, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the minimalist look of the SW-Motech and Outback Motortek crash bars but also wonder if they will protect as well as the Alt-Rider and Heed full coverage bars.
    Anyone have experience with either SW-Motech or Outback Motortek bars?
    Will they protect as well as all the full coverage bars out there?

Thanks..
  2. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in the same boat as you, tho I think I am decided on Outback Motortek. Altrider is a nicer mounting system and possibly better engineered, but I don’t see any video on their website where they are dumping their bike over on asphalt, gravel, and dirt like Lorry does with his AT equipped with his bars. Maybe I’m being gullible, but it’s hard to argue that kind of demo. I also prefer their “lower profile” bars which still protect the fairing without the “full cage look” of other bars (they offer the top most bar if you need it). Meh, we’ll see...
  3. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn, now that what I call putting your product to the test. Haven't seen the video before. That's one big vote for Outback Motortek.
  4. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will give another vote to Outback Motortek. This has held up well on my wife's bike other than some scuffs and it has been down a few times. I just ordered a set for my ATAS

[​IMG]
  5. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everyone knows Alt-Rider's are the best, if you can afford it. ;)
  6. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you are being serious or not, but that right there is some funny shit based on our experience with AltRider :)
  7. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally serious
    MillennialFalcon likes this.
  8. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I'm not a brand person. I think most of the offerings are good. I've had good luck with sw motech so went with those. They've had some hard drops on both sides, just scraped up.. nothing deformed or bent..... I put black reflective tape over the bad spots.

I definitely wanted lower profile bars, and now that I think of it, it was the b and b bash plate (from their website of compatible bars) that put the brand back in my head. For the money I was leaning on the heeds, but I really didn't want uppers. Mine have served me well so far.

Good luck with whatever you pick!

20190807_090501.jpg 20190808_160539.jpg
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  9. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    This bar began to vibrate on a road only ride. Each day it began to vibrate a little more. My wife kept checking it and could see no reason why it was vibrating. It looked fine, but kept vibrating. The next morning when loading her bike up, she was shocked to see it had snapped almost clean in two. No drops, just that odd increasing vibration. She contacted AltRider sure that they would stand behind their stated claim on the website of "We will repair or replace any components that fail in normal use within 1 year of purchase. Such repairs or replacements, including parts, labor and return transportation costs will be made free of charge to the customer." Instead, AltRider refused replacement it stating the issue was due to "metal fatigue" and not a warrantable item, wanting to charge her full price for a replacement. Our dealership intervened and managed to obtain one from them at their dealer cost, and did the labor of removing and replacing the bar and wiring for lights, etc, on their dime. But no warranty coverage. We were huge AltRider fans and have had a LOT of their stuff on many bikes, but they lost a customer with that one.

Some of the reviews on Revzilla follow a trend. "Seems to be a sturdy product - issues with powder coating," "Guilded Finish hides structural deficit. Poor customer service," "poor quality--cracked at contact point,"

Every manufacturer can have its issues and defects, how you handle those issues and how you treat the customer when they occur is often what separates them.

But best if you can afford it? They aren't the best, nor are they most expensive. That is why I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    2F345B6D-AF06-4236-BE75-A2603A37ACC6.jpeg AltRider should hire me as a tester. I’ve drop this thing in everything that is out there. Scuffs on the paint is only damage I’ve done so far.

Just wish they made body armor!
    gammel, Amphib and Cuchulainn like this.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    How did you get the BMW engine covers onto her AT?
    Peke likes this.
  12. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    They should. It's a bit ironic that they can survive all that and then have one break on a road trip from Denver to Springdale, AK (where they broke) without so much as ever being dropped: :)

This photo isn't mine, it's from a Ducati forum, but a similar fracture of an AltRider bar on a Multisrada. Poster also claimed to have a hard time with customer service.

https://photos.smugmug.com/AltRider.../L/053C4B47-A65C-427D-92A0-5FBBF7F3DFFC-L.jpg

Glad those who have them are happy with them. We had purchased their products for several bikes over several years, but after that last experience they lost us as long term repeat customers.
  13. Appalachian Twin

Appalachian Twin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1323.JPG Can't say enough about Outback Moto
    Dropped mine dozens of times with only superficial powder coating abrasions

Super customer support. The owner answered the phone (I know) when I called
    Can't wait to get the matching skid plate

Watch the video of his Africa Twin crash test
  14. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m with others that I don’t want the whole roll cage look. There seems to be a trend towards this in the past few years. I’ve run tens of thousands of miles in some tough terrain and have never wrecked hard enough, including going down avoiding a bear and her cubs, to warrant this roll cage look. To me it seems like an awful lot of extra weight and clutter for not much gain. As I say, if it’s not there, it can’t break. The outback moto products look like a really nice solution.

That said, to each his own and as consumers we are lucky these days to have so many options to chooses from.
    kojack06 likes this.
  15. mk4dubbin

mk4dubbin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive been leaning outback motortek or rugged roads for mine. Cant decide.
  16. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's really bad on AltRider.

Go with Outback Motortek, they would never do something like what AltRider did.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  17. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    Those were on her BMW. She ended up trading it in on an AT a year later. But it is why we don't have any Alt Rider stuff on either of our AT's. First bikes we have owned in years that don't have any AltRider stuff on them.
  18. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    I asked Outback Motortek that after showing the photos. They said they would have replaced that bar no questions asked.

But of course it's easy to say that I suppose. You never really know until you have a problem and try to make a claim on the statement.
    Janus9 likes this.
  19. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't like the full cage look.
    I'm leaning even more toward Outback Motortek after listening to everyone.
    Now I just have to come up with the money and wait for them to be back in stock.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  20. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Outback Moto. I’ve tested mine a few times now and they’ve done the job. I prefer their styling too

C3BD60BC-F671-4414-8C80-94C950E222D3.jpeg
    swimmer, Hecklerboy and Cuchulainn like this.