Can't decide on crash bars for Africa Twin...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Hecklerboy, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't like the roll cage look either.

But I also don't like replacing ridiculously brittle (and ridiculously expensive) pieces of plastic.

So I sucked it up and bought the Heed bars.

They look ugly on the bike.

But they look great when the bike is on its side.

Junglejeff1 likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I installed Outback ultimate package on one of our rental ATs. Bomber package.
    Bike has gone down alot...works as advertised.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Heed bars and am very happy with them. Very reasonable price and excellent fit/finish/quality.

I have "tested" them a couple of times and zero issues!
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  4. grego10r

grego10r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i use heed and so far so good

Attached Files:

Cuchulainn likes this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the heads because yooper_Bob recommended them to me a couple years ago.They have been tried and tested and not found wanting.Excellent fabrication and welding and bars have been very crash tested.Unreal the great price they sell for.I don,t care for the full the cage look either but a couple slide outs they saved my plastic.

Attached Files:

Cuchulainn likes this.
  6. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    I went for the full meal deal on my brand new ATAS From Outback. You dont get better advertising than dropping a bike a few times on camera. My advice is to read the instructions a few times and line things up to get a game plan. If you fit the lowers first, you have to take re-remove the main cross bolts by the radiators to later mount the mids. Kind of a PITA to redo the main front support but it went together ok. If I had to do it again I would mount the lowers and mids together in front, then where they mount in the rear behind your knees. The only modification I did was to elongate the upper forward hole on the rear/upper/right side a few MM's ( I had to go up and forward 45degrees about 3-4 mm's). No matter how we pulled or cured, we couldnt get all three holes to line up enough to get the bolts threaded. Speaking of threading, The power coat can be a bit thick and ooze into the threaded holes. Take a moment to pre-thread the bolts so you arent trying to do a TaiChi pose while not stripping a bolt. If you get white, do yourself a solid and buy a 99 cent jar of gloss white Testors model paint. You will get some scratches during the install and the Testors paint is a dead on match.

Finished product with some $30 Cree lights and a $10 handelbar wiring kit. Threw on some reflective tape for some added flair:

[​IMG]
  7. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rear "mounting" being clamped to the pressed steel part of the frame seems odd.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heeds hook up the there also and it works well.Very strong part of frame.
  9. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the option of buying the Outback Motortek crash bars in sections. I plan on getting the crash bars and engine guards and then if needed I can always add the upper crash bars later.
  10. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:

I wish the other side of that mount was the same type. Super easy fitting on that attachment point. Other thoughts: Fit/finish/welds are all high quality. Really impressed with this set of training wheels. Makes the stock 'light bar' seem like am umbrella pole in terms of ruggedness.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  11. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, was just going to order their (Outback Motortech) last in stock set of silver lower and mid combo bars....too late, they gone!
  12. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm on their email list for when the black come back in stock.
  13. mentolio

Oddometer:
    I'm on the list for both, can't decide which I would like better. My AT is the 2016 silver. I think either would look good.
    Hecklerboy likes this.
  14. mentolio

Oddometer:
    I didn't like that at first either, thought it might be a "weak point." Then I watched the video of Lorry (the owner of the company) dumping what is purported to be his own bike, on that side, multiple times on pavement and gravel. That quickly changed my mind.
  15. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the same year and color.
  16. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Do you have DCT or not?

I too wanted a more minimalist setup. The bike was already the heaviest I've owned, and I also didn't want to complicate service with a ton of extra crap to remove. So I went with SW Motech.

But I realized the DCT is pretty vulnerable--less so after I installed a SW Motech bash plate. On the stator side I have a thin aluminum stator guard, but no such thing exists for the DCT side.

I decided I was either going to get a B&B Dakar bash plate for the engine coverage, or switch to Heed Bunker bars. The latter cost less, and right now I'm waiting for them to arrive. If I didn't have DCT I think I would have been happy with what I had (SW Motech bars and plate)
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I had Rugged Roads lowers. They did a good job of protecting the engine cases when I dropped the bike and also made great footrests while super slabbing.