1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Can't stop Now! Versys Hack..

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by guesswork, Dec 7, 2009.

1. guesswork

guesswork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I'm a Noob with hack, but I've had my Versys a while and now I've done it. Gone out and bought a Ural Tub w/frame. I have determined that building a substantial Sub-frame will be a challenge. Not a lot of good hanger points that I can see. Any thoughts? Any advise?

Pic to follow - I have a 600 mile road trip to go and get it this week.
  2. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. DaWhip

DaWhip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do it! I want to watch a noob do it so that I get the guts to do it myself sometime. What is your background w/ motorcycling and fabricating that gives yah the balls to hack the versys?
  4. guesswork

Oddometer:

Must be a lack of Fear of Failure!! No, this is virgin ground for me. I think my mechanical aptitude is as good as most, better than some. Experience is more in the line of Bricks and Sticks work. I did build some buggies (as in Swamp Buggy) when I was a bit younger. I'm pumped up on this new project. Lots of miles on two wheels.
  5. guesswork

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. guesswork

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. guesswork

Oddometer:
    This is no Ural, must be a Depnr?

Real question, hope someone has some experience to share. I hope to change out the Depnr wheel for something modern with a Disk brake. Is this doable? (everything is doable) Maybe something off a Beemer? What about the axle dia.? would they be the same? Can a conversion be done without building a whole new frame? Thanks for any help...
  8. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year, guesswork!
    Looks like you're in for some serious fabricating with the minimal frame on the Versys. I hope the flatstrap the the photos is just a mock-up ,because I'd think you really are going to have to build with tubing.Tie into as many points on the frame as possible.
    Is there mounts under the bike for a centerstand? If there is you could do a U shaped loop down from the front of the frame [where the radiator mounts ] and then tie it to centerstand mounting points.Run the tube on the right side of the bike to the rear for your back car mount.
    That leaves the rear upper. In the pics the subframe looks pretty flimsy, so a bit of beefing up in thar area may be called for there too.
    Check out the thread about subframes and mounting. RedMenance did some extensive articles. Stronger is better.Always.
  9. guesswork

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Critique BBB. I am going with the flat for now. I will stiffen across the front with one inch tube to the forward hanger and then with one inch angle on back to the rear hanger. I have three strong mounting points, plus two other. I will put up some additional pics as I progress. Glad to have any input from you or others. Just three month till spring?
  10. guesswork

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm about one month into this adventure. my Versys/Ural hack.
    I will put up some updated pics. Working from a Sportbike frame and with zero prior experence may not be the best formula for success, but. I now have a Sub-frame after having bought a used arc welder and spending just a little time teaching myself how it works (welding critque not necessary). as soon as I can order a pair of Frame clamps and a pair of weld on clevis hinges, I hope to be ready to take her down the road. Now lets try the upload....[​IMG]
  11. guesswork

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. guesswork

Oddometer:
    think the Tractor Supply seat worked very well. It is hinged and allows easy access to the aft storage. If all goes well, next is an upgraded wheel and brake. Any suggestions? (Its a Depner).[​IMG]
  13. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you got rid of the flat strap! Be sure to check clearance of your front wheel/fender vs. the front of your subframe with the forks fully compressed. And remember to sleeve the mounting bolt holes going through that square tube. If you don't the tube will crush(sooner or later) allowing things to slacken and fail.

Talk to Jay at Dauntless motors. He does wheel/brake conversions.

I had a BMW wheel on my Dnepr. I think it was an early /5 front with the tophat spacer removed. I didn't run a brake.

Swapping to a disc set up from a modern moto, particularly a rear wheel is apt to end up wider than the OEM Dnepr wheel, adding stress. You could choose a wheel with a larger diameter axle and have a new axle machined for the Dnepr. I have had this done as I bent the axle on mine. It wasn't too difficult and I ended up with a much stronger set up.
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neat project ! Keep the pics coming.
  15. guesswork

Oddometer:
  16. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    >>> My two upper mounts will use "Frame Clamps". One is 1 1/4 inch and the other is 1 inch tube. Anyone know where I can find a clamp for the one inch or any advise how to succesfully modify the 1 1/4 clamps? Thanks all...<<<

A piece of 1" will fit inside of a piece of 1 1/4 x /120 wall tubing. So if you have a clamp with a 1 1/4" I.D. you may be able to make a 'shim' out of a piece of 1 1/4" x .120 wall tubing split lengthwise to make the transition between the 1" tubing and a clamp made for 1 1/4" tubing. If this is the case do not be shy on making the 'shim' longer than the clamp you have to distribute the load over a wider portion of the 1" tubing.
  17. guesswork

Oddometer:
    Was thinking along those lines, good to have some confirmation from one of you veterans that it is a workable solution!
  18. guesswork

Oddometer:
    I have lots to learn abouts hacks, like how to ride one. But as to cost, I've got this rigg where I am happy for less than $8

00 bucks. A break down for those interested: Started with a Dpner rigg off Craigs for $400. I put another hundred bucks in the seat and some spray paint from Tractor Supply. Bought an Arc welder for $125.00. Craigs list again. and closed with a pair of Frame clamps from Jay @ Dauntless for another $150.00. Thats about it. Nicest part is not having four or five grand in it![​IMG]
  19. guesswork

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the advise and encouragement. Trail and error is a great teacher. Heavy on the latter...
  20. guesswork

Oddometer: