Canucks Getting Speeding Tix In US?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Hamr Mark, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Hamr Mark

Hamr Mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, if you are a Canadian, and you were to get caught for speeding in the US, what happens? More importantly, what would happen with insurance back on this side of the border? Anybody have any first hand experience? I have a clean licence/insurance now, after having 3 speeders cleaned off my record, and was wondering, should we make a road trip down there next summer, what would happen, as I really don't want my insurance to go through the roof again.
  2. Viking

Viking Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer:
    Its just liike in Canada, take your chances and do not change anything with your insurance.
    Do not give them an excuse to look up your driving record, so no new car, MC or insurance provider.:1drink
  3. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that anything that happens in Michigan will count on your license here. I'm not sure about other states. The D.O.T. in Michigan has some agreement wit the MTO to exchange this info regularly.

Bottom line....buy a radar detector and hide it well :wink:
  4. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
  5. bone

bone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This one's also pretty good, though I thankfully haven't had cause to test it out...

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28893&sid=77f6eb134808fa74a936c5b749632391

I believe NY also has a deal with the Ontario MOT or OPP to share information... Earlier this year CMGOnline.com had an article written by a Canadian who was caught down in NY and got points on his license and all the rest of the heartache a ticket brings. Beware the northern states closest to us, it would seem... although I haven't heard anything about Ohio...
  6. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    Not in BC. You just mail in your fine and nothing get's recorded on your driving record here. One of the reasons I've allways done most of my street riding in Washington, Idaho and Oregon:D
  7. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same in MB....Velocity Awards are not put against your license from the US.

I was sternly warned by the highway patrol that I should really pay the fine though, or if I happen to get stopped again, they will immediately impound my car....that wouldn't be nice on a family vacation to MN.
  8. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Nothing in Minnesota either. I had one a while back and all it meant to me was a warrant for me in that state. Nice knowing I was wanted somewhere. :lol3 I finally paid it but not until I wrote back and forth with the local sherrif several times arguing the vagaries of currencies with her. It was all in good humour and quite funny.

Fin
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to be very careful in NY state, if you're from Ontario. You get nailed in NY state, you're basically :viking There are no set fines in many counties, so you have to appear in court in person.. DAMHIK Plus, your ticket in NY state is as good as getting one in Ontario, as they both share info back and forth..
  10. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Yikes. :eek1

Fin
  11. Fred

Fred Banned

Oddometer:
    ........And keep the receipt/cancelled cheque for the fine payment. A friend a few years ago had payed his ticket but due to a clerical error in Washington, it showed up on the Cop's computer as outstanding. Bike was towed, he was arrested and had to do the bail bondsman routine before he could get out of jail.

I had one Sheriff ask me while writing up the ticket, "how do you spell Moto Guzzi"??

I wanted to say, if you can't spell it, I don't deserve the ticket.:D
    Plus, it was written on both sides of the tank:asshat
  12. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Now that is funny! :rofl

Fin
  13. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I'm Canadian, and I've got tickets in NY on an Alberta license, and tickets in Ontario on a NY license. In all cases, my insurance company never heard about the tickets, nor did the licensing agency. I also paid the tickets by post, no need to show up anywhere or meet anyone. I'm currently in France on an Alberta license (and plate). Almost all of the speed traps here are automated. So every time I go into Paris at night I notice the odd flash or two -- "ah, there's speed trap there" I sometimes think to myself, "gotta start remembering that." As far as I can tell, they don't know where Alberta is.
  14. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    Ontario has reciprocity with NY and Michigan.I've had speeding tickets in NY, PA, TN, OH, and MI. The only ones that showed up were from NY and MI. Be prudent in your choice of state to speed. Thank God for Montana!
    Used to be a five dollar fine for speeding, that was described as some kind of environmental tax for wasting fuel.

Woodgrain
  15. Mikimoto

Mikimoto Banned

Oddometer:
    Excellent advice.

but do know, that in the summer months, on the I-5 they run EYE IN THE SKY................so be careful on that stretch.
  16. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Reciprocal agreements exist between certain states and provinces. Your best bet is to pay up and ride without that hanging over you head.
  17. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool
    So you are saying that my New Zealand or NSW (Australian) licenses are fine ?

Any set speeds over the limit where they impound either your license or your bike ?
  18. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    A few years back (+10). My friends went do to Florida by car and got a speeding ticket in some southern state. The cop made them pay on the spot or jail time.Not sure if it still happens now.
  19. Circsaws

Circsaws DRZ400 S -->SM

Oddometer:
    I've heard that also but I was told first hand by someone who works in that department that they cannot force anyone to pay (at least WA state). It's a civil not a criminal matter.
  20. scotiadallas

scotiadallas BigD

Oddometer:
    Got stopped by an unmarked Mustang 5.0 in S.C. We were doing 95MPH weaving through traffic. He told me to pay now or go to jail that night. I had to pay $120 (CASH - just happy to have it on me) and funny thing, he never wrote up the ticket, just told me to SLOW down. I was 22 at the time and scared shitless so I was just happy not to be going to a South Carolina jail for the night.