Canyon of Gold, Tour through Southern Utahs Best kept Secrets

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by EphTwoEight, Apr 2, 2006.

1. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    When autopilots first became available, there happened to be a saying, "Let George do it", which was part of a wartime poster that said, basically, that you couldn't do that- you had to do it yourself, or no one would do it. The "Let George do it" attitude was something to be stamped out during the WWII war years, you see...The autopilot was the only "George", or "the other guy", that you could legitimately delegate to. Thus, using the autopilot became "letting George do it". :huh
  2. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Not if you build the plane yourself, do your own inspections, do your
    own annuals and own repairs, like I do. And if the plane is getting
    more than 30mpg going 200 mph, that's damn near as cheap as a big
    bike, and a HELL of a lot faster. And Avgas is only about 40 cents
    more than car gas. No Brainer - the plane wins.
  3. Marbleless

Marbleless Intelligentsia Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to amortize the multi-thousands of samoleons you poured into it by this point. Ya got's tah be fair. :D
  4. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    In general, airplanes go up in value every year. This one is worth around
    $50K more than what it cost me to build it. How about that? :lol3
  5. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    I see, I learn something every day, but forget even more, so I better keep learning before my brain disappears!:ear
  6. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    But the plane is kind of a beatch on single track, stream crossings and is tough to land on mountaintops and sand dunes!
  7. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    YOUR plane won, mine didn't :D
    I could'a bought a whole 6-pack of GS's for what that farkin' thing cost.
  8. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Hey gang. Made it back to Oxnard at 5:35 pm Sunday night. Split off from C-Dub at Barstow where I took CA-58 west until Boron, then found a way through Edwards AFB that didn't require an ID. I'll show you sometime.

Hope everone else made it back okay. Check in, will ya's?

Cheers. Great trip. Trip report in next couple of days.

-M
  9. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad ya made home! I was thinking you could of made it by 2:00pm.

I made it home with no probs after the depart from the freeway on ramp.:D

It was hot here today, how were the temps heading back?
  10. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I made it home by 2:30 no problems, but damn it was hot the whole way:hair only 109 degrees in Baker! I had a great time. Special thanks to Dave and Misty for the hospitality! You guys are great hosts.

I'll let Tod have the 1st shot at the ride report, and then if I can find the time, add my own bits sometime this week.

The trip was fantastic and I only put 1,500 miles on my bike between 3:00 last Wednesday and 2:30 Sunday, man my old behind sure was feeling it!

So what's up Walter & Louis? did you guys make it home ok?
  11. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Man, I must have taken the slow-boat-to-China way. Got home 3-hours after you!

I shouldn't have split off on that Hwy-58 way from you in Barstow. Was longer, but I did get a chance to have a late lunch in beautiful downtown Boron, CA. Had some nice chips and salsa, a nice Carne Asada taco, and couple of Negra Modelos.

I ended up with 1695-miles on the clock. Man, I guess my route was longer than it needed to be, plus going all the way to Oxnard added another couple of hundred miles to my overall ride.
  12. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    WTF??? ...get cracking biotch!!! Some of us are waiting to live vicariously through you lucky saps that were able to go! :D

C'mon, ...hook a brutha' up! :deal

:lurk

D
  13. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Just off the press, my little ride report. Didn't get a chance to take too many pictures of the ride itself, too busy looking out the window as the phenomenal scenery. And let me start off by saying a huge Thank You to Dave for putting on this ride. He hooked us up good.

I blasted out of work at noon on Wednesday and made my way home to get my chit packed. At 2:30 I wasted no time departing and getting to Louis house, of course, he was a rarin to go.

[​IMG]

Louis says "hastalavista baby" to his (much) better half.

We didn't have to wait for long and Todd soldiered up. Chris made a few "where the hell am I phone calls" but then arrived safely, but narrowly getting rear-ended by close tailing cagers. Same thing happened to me when Louis street sign came up rather unexpectedly quick. So I took some pics of the bikes and guys.

[​IMG]

My 1000 mile old ninefiddy, ready to roll. The little soldier on the crashbars keeps me upright.

[​IMG]

Louis's big phat pig. Within the next day or two, it Will take a nap or two.

[​IMG]

Todd's big phat pig. Why does he always have a fricken tire on the ass end? WTF?

[​IMG]

And Chris's shiny silver (uh, very fast) ninefiddy. From left to right the salute is coming from Chris, Todd and Louis.

Ok, let's do this thing. Some of you may remember that I've been doing a lot of bitching about my neck/back/shoulder. By the time I had reached Louis's house, it was acting up again. Feels like a hot poker in the upper left shoulder. I wasn't going to back down though. We were going to make it a two day slab ride up there just to take it easy. Fortunately, the more I drove, the better, or at least the same, it felt. Carry on soldier.

So we finally get to Barstow after a windy ride and managed to find shelter in the Comfort Inn. We need food and head to the Italian joint across the street. It's 8:50pm, too bad, the restaurant closes at 9:00pm. It must be one hell of a joint though cuz If I could bottle the fantastic aroma of Italian food from that place I could make zillions. Instead we much at the local eatery/bar/local hangout. Pretty busy for a Wednesday. Good food, good grog. The maggies were tasty and soon enough we would be sleeping fine back at the Inn.

Before turning in we stopped in at a local nightlife hotspot, forgot the name. Lets just say we stayed a few minutes. Line dancing to pseudo country music with old geezers isn't my flava, I definitely felt out of place and had the feeling that all eyes were on us. Weird place. Fortunately, no pics, I'm trying to forget.

[​IMG]

Pre-Breakfast snack in the hotel room.

[​IMG]

Splendid view from the room. This Inn has major water problems. First room we got had a constantly running toilet.

[​IMG]

Chris didn't want his picture taken cuz he had "bad hair". Wussy. Here he was dicking around with his top case. Why do all top cases break???

[​IMG]

Let's blow this pop-sicle stand! Load up, mount up and ride sucka.

[​IMG]

Somewhere on Interstate 15, hauling ass.

[​IMG]

Is Louis's top case going to break? Getting gas in Nowheresville.

[​IMG]

Wishing the KTM had a bigger tank, like the BMW phat pigs.

When we got to Henderson we abandoned the freeway and took 167/169 which runs along the NW side of Lake Mead. It's a fantastic side trip. Nice road too. Cost for the detour is $10, well worth it. Of course there was a small bit of construction and the road was one way traffic for a spell.

[​IMG]

Waiting for our turn to ride the one-laner.

About 3/4 of the way there's a little thermal pool. Time for a stoppie. Looks pretty harmless, just some water in the middle of the desert.

[​IMG]

Agua in the desierto. Very Strange.

[​IMG]

That's right ladies and germs, a waterfall in the desert.

So I'm sorta stunned when I read this sign next to the wading pool.

[​IMG]

I aint gonna go in that crap, no way no how.

Then I see this fool.

[​IMG]

You might not have gotten any in your nose, but you have other holes dude!

[​IMG]

Lake Mead from the wading pool.

After the bathing incident we stopped at a one-horse-town for a bite to eat. Prolly (I love that word) some of the best pizza I've ever eaten. Man sakes alive, I could not even finish my second piece. Good thing we didn't get the X-large.

[​IMG]

'Carleys' Dee-fargin-licious pizza.

[​IMG]

Of course Todd just couldn't stop with just p-za, no. He just had to have some pie too. Make sure you stop at this joint, it's fantastic.

More to come in the next installation.....
  14. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Now where were we... Ok, at this point I flaked and didn't take many pictures. We arrived in St. George and made the appropriate phone calls to Dave. Noticed I said calls (plural). We were supposed to meet him at the so appropriately named Seven Wives Inn, we are in UT afterall.

Unfortunately the Garmin 296 "thought" it knew where it was. Perhaps the whole building was moved at some time. After about 30 minutes of dicking around we finally found Dave at the SWI. And the reuinion began. Sure was nice to see Dave again. He's a hell of a nice guy and hooked us up with rooms at the Inn. If you get the chance, go there, you won't be dissapointed. Classic old home on the registry. And the food is devine.

Dave had gotten tickets for us for the show that night but I flaked, and decided that sleep was what the man needed. Sorry Dave. I know the play was fantastic according to the guys. In retrospect, though, I did sleep well :D Sometimes you just have to do what the body orders.

That afternoon (before the show) I hoofed it to the lika store to get some brew has for the boyz. It was only a 3 mile hike but the beer was worth it. Course, being in UT we had to drink them from plastic cups, clear plastic cups, which didn't make no sense at all. Oh well, those were the rulz.

And FINALLY, finally, I got to see why Todd carried that fricken tire with him on every trip. He actually changed tires that evening! Of course we helped him and encouraged him while standing a good 6 feet away, beers in hand, making sure he didn't screw anything up. He done good. But I'm sure that without our help he would have screwed things up royally.

Next day, time to ride. Dave suggests that we take a little windy ass road up to where the US Gov tests ejection seats and the like on a rocket sled. It's on the top of a mesa and the view is splendid. The paved road ended and we bagan our dirt journey. First time for me on the dirt with the 9fiddy and I was already noticiing two things. 1) The 9fiddy make a KLR look like baby doody 2) The KLR IS baby doody.

[​IMG]

What a view. I'm starting to like UT a whole bunch.

[​IMG]

A glimps of what is to come.

[​IMG]

The bikes like it too. See Dave's Ulysses to the right. He must think it's a KLR cuz he takes it everywhere!

The dirt road on the top of the mesa continues around for what I would guess is 10 miles or so, give or take. Once again, the views were just rocking.

[​IMG]

Seeing red in UT.

[​IMG]

Get yer grubby KTM wanna have hands off my bike sucka. You know you want it. You want it bad.

So we ride along having great fun on the nicely graded road. But it starts to get a bit of gravel piled up in spots. The front tire slides left and right. No biggie, I'm getting used to just leaning way back and powering through the loose stuff.

Then Chris decides that he's 18 again and goes blazing past all of us and smokes up the trail waaaay ahead of us. Dude can ride. Dude can ride fast. He has so much of a lead that he turns around and comes back for us. Now none of us were actually racing him, just plodding along getting our dirt legs back on.

Soon enough we end up about the point where he turned around. Good thing he wasn't going 100 then cuz it's nothing but sand baby, nice silty soft sand. I get a terrible case of tank slap but keep it upright only to notice that I'm no longer being followed.

Both Louis and Dave tried to give their bikes a sand bath and succeeded. Actually, Louis did it twice. We all chipped in and got back on track. Unfortunately I didn't get pics of the sand trap or the sleeping bikes. I'm sure someone did though. Post 'em for a good giggle please.

more to come.... Here's a teaser.

[​IMG]

Hung like a mule.
  15. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Yo, Walter, don't forget the part about yer fomenting a dirty-rotten mutiny, ya biznatch! :lol3

Hey, yer supposed to post the ride report on the ride report page. Gets more viewing there... :deal

-M
  16. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Gotta wait until I get the rest of my pix I accidentally passed on to C-Dubya. Might be able to get 'em from Eph if he posts 'em to his Smugmug account...
  17. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Dave, being a good host, has us meet up with one of his friends, yeah his name escapes me, who lives just outside Zion Nat'l Park. He's a real hoot. How about living with four dogs and four birds? Not eclectic enough for you? How about that they, primarily his wife, create wonderful metal artwork. The artwork is displayed all over their beautiful home and yard areas. How about a sample? Here ya go.

[​IMG]

Wrought Iron beauty, hanging over the back yard.

[​IMG]

Willie the wonder dog.

After grazing on chips and salsa that was ready for us at Dave's friends place, it's time for Zion. I'll just let pictures stand in for words here. This place is fundamentally beautiful.

[​IMG]

Matching bike and landscape.

[​IMG]

Small people, big red hills.

[​IMG]

Gotta get that sticker in there.

This ride turns out to be so much more than I expected. You really need a week out here to see all the beauty.

UT has no helmet law so for the very first time ever I ride withoug one for just a short while, making sure the speeds were not hot and heavy. I don't really want to do it again. It gave me vertical hair.

[​IMG]

Fool. Helmets are AGATT.

Out of the park now and getting gas. What a tourist trap.

[​IMG]

Good place to pee.

more coming....
  18. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    There was no mutiny. You wanted to camp but are afraid of the cold.
    Can't help that. BTW, the two campsites in the mountains were spectacular (oh, and warm). :eek1
  19. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Ok, got sidetracked by Todd "it's too cold" Marbleless.

We soldiered on witnessing even more beauty.

[​IMG]

Sun starts to set.

[​IMG]

You might have to go to the Grand Canyon to see better views

So, at this point we stop at another find eatery and begin to formulate where we are going to spend the night and what the route is the next day. I'm heavily relying on Dave to show us "what he likes best". I'm very much interested in seeing that. It's a bit north of us and to the west. My need for taking the slab ride home in two chunks seems to be outweighted by the gun-ho mentality of the group. I know what a long slab ride did to me on the prio MX trip. It caught me totally off guard. Perhaps I'm just getting older. Perhaps it was that crappy KLR. Whatever, no sense in taking chances.

The bulk of the group wants to follow a near-by passage. But I'm up for doing Dave's original route which puts us near the freeway and equally set for a night stopover. After checking out a local campsite and finding it full we note that two more campsites are 40 miles up the road, up high in elevation, over 9000 ft. Sounds good to me but Todd says it will be too cold. Well if it is we could soldier on to Loa and check in a hotel there.

At this point the group splits up. I can't say anything about our or their decision. Louis and I take off and head north. We ride for another four hours. We passed up the camping areas (which were WARM and very very nice) because it just didn't feel right not being with the group. It would have been very fun with all of us there.

We passed up a few hotels in Richardson and headed for Loa. Loa, was a ghost town with only one expensive hotel. So we kept on going. Finally, at midnight we found refuge in a KOA campground. Very nice. But setting up the tents at midnight was a bear.

[​IMG]

Louis sets up shop for the night. This is just prior to him waking up all the neighbors with his snoring :lol3

[​IMG]

Breaking camp in the morn. (nice and warm)

[​IMG]

KOA campsite, nice warm showers and minigolf too.

So that morning Louis and I grab breakfast and head down route 89. It's a fantastic ride. We finally make it to almost 10,000 feet again where it's pretty damn cold, about 40 degrees F. But the scenery is totally worth it.

[​IMG]

Top of the mountain.

[​IMG]

Louis comes over for a looksee.

[​IMG]

Nature is colored like my KTM, or vice versa.

[​IMG]

God at work. If you ask me, he's a magician, or maybe a painter. He does good work.

And then comes the slab ride home. 110 degrees in Barstow, prolly 120 near death vally. I don't really look forward to the slab ride home, I never will. But we did it anyway. Not sure what the Advrider mentality really is. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to a sore ass, sore neck and keeping the throttle twisted. At least it gives you time to think about where you've just been, the people you spent the last few days with, and whether it was worth it or not.

Was it all worth it? yup.

Did I miss being with the original group? yup.
    Would I do it differently next time? perhaps.
    Will I ride with these characters again? perhaps.
    Will I post the next trip report in the Ride Report section? No, just to piss of M. :lol3
  20. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey W, where did you take them last few pics? Very nice!

If you fly out here, I'll rent you my mountain bike, and I'll bring a rope to help get ya up the really big hills!:D