1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Canyon of Gold, Tour through Southern Utahs Best kept Secrets

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by EphTwoEight, Apr 2, 2006.

1. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Dunno, gotta get the map out to remember. It was all a blur, but a very scenic blur. I'm going to download my gps bread crumb trail tomorrow if I get the time. That will tel me exactly how many miles I was off course.

If yer mb doesn't have an engine I ain't renting it from you. And it better be orange too :clap

Have you sold the Uly yet? You are just the right kind of person for a KTM buddy. I feel bad, I never got the chance to let you ride the oranutang. Next time...
  2. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about a race for pinks?:wink:
  3. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    Great write up Walter.

...and you should take Eph up on his challenge, provided you get to choose the course (I suggest really rough, off-road terrain). :lol3

Seriously beautiful country out there, makes me sure that I want to get out there in the future. :thumb
  4. Marbleless

Marbleless Intelligentsia Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey Walter, nice ride report. I'll post mine today up on the ride report section.

After you and Louis headed north, we found a cool little cabin/camp area back in Escalante that we checked into around 9:30 that night. Had a few beers and hung around a campfire with some German tourists.

Next day we went back north a bit and did the hogback again before we hit the Hell's Backbone and Griffin Top trails for 70-MILES of dirt! You guys really missed some killer riding and scenery. Although that high canyon you found looked pretty sweet. I wonder if it was Cedar Breaks NM? Take care, bub.

-M
  5. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Hey Tod, did you get your pics from Dave? I have the CD packaged up and ready to take to the post office. Unless you know how I can post them all somewhere, somehow (as you know there are a lot of pics)?
  6. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    That has to be Cedar Breaks, I recognize the road Louis was walking across.

And that color has to be closer to Walter arse after the ride on that seat!:D

Did you guys also see Panguitch Lake?
  7. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Yes, just got them this morning via his Smugmug site, so you don't need to send them. Thanks for getting them ready though.
  8. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Exakry! Yeah, the lake was beuuuitiful :clap It was a fantastic ride up there.
    The scenery and treescapes were just awesome. Saw so many damn deer it was crazy. Especially at night, that was a rush.
  9. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey W, did you go down Cedar Canyon, that twisty road down the mountian into Cedar? Thats a cool place!

Up near Bryce we saw Elk, deer and Antelope.
  10. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Precisely where we went. There's a couple of campsites up at the very peak of the mountain ridge, awesome. A few dirtbikes and 4-wheelers were seen. Looks like some serious trail riding could be done up there. It was a bit cool even during the day and there was still snow on the ground in the shaded areas.

I would like to go back and camp there and ride all day.
  11. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Up there on top of that mountian, there is a little lake called Dead Lake, about 40 years ago or so, it was used for the boy scouts camp, but the roads going to it are narrow, and rough, so it has been left for many years with little travelers finding it. We camped there recently and rode down to Dead Lake and had fun, a short hike will take you up in the hills to another smaller lake even less visited. Them trails will also take you over to Duck Creek Village, a cool village to hang in for lunch or dinner. That is also near Strawberry and Swans Creek, where they have some runways up there.

I'll hold out till I get me a KTM.
  12. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    I'll hold out till I get me a KTM.[/quote]

Which one are you going to get? Did that little test ride on mine sway you into the mighty ninefiddy:D ? It is, of course, the obvious superior choice!
  13. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Hey Walt, I just wanted to say that I wish we hadn't split up, I just kind of went along with Dave and Todd, obviously it was Dave's gig and he was going along with Todd's rationale, so I just lemminged it with them, the good thing is both alternatives seemed to be bitchin in their own right. I'm glad you and Louis had a good time on without us. I'm sure it would have been better had we all stayed together, but oh well, next time (if perhaps it happens) we should stick to a definite course.
  14. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    No harm done. The trip was a success in my book.

I indicated way early on in the beginnings of the thread, when I decided to
    go, that I would be taking two days to come back and might have to split
    off from the group. I was just following internal orders. GD that ride back
    home was a fricken steamer though. Didn't pee all day.

And I'm pretty happy I went that way. I just love being surrounded by
    huge expanses of trees on the top of a mountain. Beautiful :wings

I still get a kick out of Todd wanting to camp, but not if it's cold. Hehehe
    Total wussy :vardy :fyyff

Those mountain campsites were incredible at over 9000 ft. elev. The view was mindblowing and it was actually WARM :jkam

My new ride mantra: Plan the ride, ride the plan.
  15. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which one are you going to get? Did that little test ride on mine sway you into the mighty ninefiddy:D ? It is, of course, the obvious superior choice![/quote]

Hmmm, if I could only have one, yeah, it'd be the 950, or whatever is to come out.

Been reading S Won's post between the 525 and Honda 650, and seems like KTM is doing a better 525 DS for 07.
  16. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got our bird, now need help naming it!

She was born on Easter Sunday, so the kids been calling her Easter.:shog

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Tsk, tsk, grasshopper. How ye forget that I was worried that you would freeze since you're kinda shallow, er, I mean thin... :lol3

And it might have been warm when you passed through around 9pm, but I doubt it would have been in the wee hours as you cried out in woe! :D

Later, skater.
  18. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Very cool looking bird. So cute. And they live for a long time, which is why
    I don't have another dog. Can't go through another putting down of a pet.
    Just wracks me for months.

How about "Yeller"? :lol3
  19. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Ahah! So you firmly ADMIT, that you don't like even the "thought" of
    camping in the cold. "It mights gets a bit cold up in them thar hills.
    We could get a chill or even a goosebump. Nosireee, I ain't gonna temp
    fate."

You Pussy. I've been camping in extreme conditions. I used to live to camp
    in extreme conditions. The stories I could tel.... But you might be 'fraid to
    hear them. I got's more camping experience in my little finger than youse
    gots in yer whole body.

Wus. :lol3

Be a man next time and admit, you ain't got the cojones. :deal

Next time you come around to the house I'll show you some hard core
    pics of me and my buds camping on Glaciers in the Arctic. Then when the
    snow melted, cuz of the super-heating of the earth, caused by Bill Clinton,
    I'll show you pics of us camping in a large refrigerator in Florida, just to stay
    cool. You wussy. Take that and smoke it. :lol3
  20. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer: