Cape York & into Asia via Timor-Leste, Indonesia, etc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by The Bigfella, Nov 10, 2011.

1. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ... and I've been out riding again... a four day trip around the Mae Hong Son loop with two youngun's from Washington DC. I will write it up... I promise.

We scored pretty good weather... then the smoke rolled in for a week.. and it's just clearing. Here's a shot of the moon from the front door at Rider's Corner a few minutes ago. Nikon P1000 - hand held, not cropped.. nor colour-shifted.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, I've hired more staff. Deere (just think for a minute what fun it is to go to the hardware store with him, when he wanders off... "Deere, can you come over here please"... anyhow, Deere is a bit of a gun rider and it's great to be making some progress with our "project" bikes... BMW Dakar, DRZ, WR etc.
    Saso and OldPete like this.
  2. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy mackeral... is it really six and a half months since I've update. Lessee... what's happening?

LOTS of day and up to four day rides centred on Chiang Mai. For my sins, I've picked up two roles with the Ulysses Club Thailand - Ride Co-ordinator and now President of the club. That's keeping me busy, and the first role in particular is challenging. Most of my riding here has been extended trips away, with Chiang Mai being the storage location. It turns out that there's lots of brilliant local rides too....

Here's a video from last Friday's ride out to Mok Fa Waterfall (which is a fabulous waterfall). We split the ride halfway there. Five bikes continued on the bitumen and six bikes, including Tum, Deere and I, continued on via rural concrete and dirt roads. Joy, on a KLX150 rode past just as a King Cobra decided to cross the road. Tum didn't see it straight away... and the snake got all defensive. I propped when I saw it, and was a bit worried it was going to come at me... so I was backpeddling down the road.

I should point out that Tum, my significant other, on the CRF250, is particularly wary of snakes. A cobra killed her father when she was a toddler.

Deere saw a much larger one of these, in similar circumstances - it went all defensive - about 6 weeks ago. It was as thick as his arm - which is thick. A snake about 12' to 14' long. I was 100 metres behind him and I didn't see it.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.