1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cape York & into Asia via Timor-Leste, Indonesia, etc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by The Bigfella, Nov 10, 2011.

1. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ... and I've been out riding again... a four day trip around the Mae Hong Son loop with two youngun's from Washington DC. I will write it up... I promise.

We scored pretty good weather... then the smoke rolled in for a week.. and it's just clearing. Here's a shot of the moon from the front door at Rider's Corner a few minutes ago. Nikon P1000 - hand held, not cropped.. nor colour-shifted.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, I've hired more staff. Deere (just think for a minute what fun it is to go to the hardware store with him, when he wanders off... "Deere, can you come over here please"... anyhow, Deere is a bit of a gun rider and it's great to be making some progress with our "project" bikes... BMW Dakar, DRZ, WR etc.
    Saso and OldPete like this.
  2. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    Holy mackeral... is it really six and a half months since I've update. Lessee... what's happening?

LOTS of day and up to four day rides centred on Chiang Mai. For my sins, I've picked up two roles with the Ulysses Club Thailand - Ride Co-ordinator and now President of the club. That's keeping me busy, and the first role in particular is challenging. Most of my riding here has been extended trips away, with Chiang Mai being the storage location. It turns out that there's lots of brilliant local rides too....

Here's a video from last Friday's ride out to Mok Fa Waterfall (which is a fabulous waterfall). We split the ride halfway there. Five bikes continued on the bitumen and six bikes, including Tum, Deere and I, continued on via rural concrete and dirt roads. Joy, on a KLX150 rode past just as a King Cobra decided to cross the road. Tum didn't see it straight away... and the snake got all defensive. I propped when I saw it, and was a bit worried it was going to come at me... so I was backpeddling down the road.

I should point out that Tum, my significant other, on the CRF250, is particularly wary of snakes. A cobra killed her father when she was a toddler.

Deere saw a much larger one of these, in similar circumstances - it went all defensive - about 6 weeks ago. It was as thick as his arm - which is thick. A snake about 12' to 14' long. I was 100 metres behind him and I didn't see it.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  3. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    Here's another one from this week. We rode up to Pai the back road and came back down the front way.

kiwial and markinthailand like this.
  4. Keef

Keef .. just add pasties

Oddometer:
    Cornwall, in the far southwest of England, UK
    G'day Ian - thanks for the update.

I've been following your exploits, as far as possible, ever since we met and hooked-up in Timor-Leste .. way back in September 2011. You will no doubt re-call that, on-and-off, we spent 7-10 days together; including a road trip east of the island - all the way out to Com (and beyond) in a little rented Toyota 4x4 SUV.

LINK reminder: East Timor

Btw, I very regretfully have to inform you that my dear Ellen - and your friend - very sadly passed away last summer, in August 2019, primarily as a result of terminal (S4) lung cancer, plus other associated complications; having been diagnosed with this dreadful, sh!tty disease 16 months earlier, in April 2018.

Pic of the two of you together at the breakfast table:

[​IMG]

Now then, back to the future: Sometime within the foreseeable, I'm very tempted to get my arse back to northern Thailand; fly-in .. and then rent a decent dual-sport for a couple of weeks. Around December-January time I'm thinking. Can you fix-up me up with all the essentials, e.g. temporary digs, a decent pair of wheels, etc.?? (on a strictly commercial basis .. au naturellement!)

Lemme know when you get the chance mate.

Cheers

Keith
    [the pommie b@stard]
  5. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    Strewth Keith - I'm so sorry to hear that news. Of course I remember our time together - and remember travelling with you and Ellen quite fondly. She was a wonderful woman.

[​IMG]

... and yes, we can sort you out with a room, wheels and even some ideas for where to head. We ride every week - every day in fact, but we do a semi-organised ride every week with the Ulysses Club Thailand. I say semi-organised, because I'm the Ride Co-ordinator, among other roles. Since June last year, I think we've not ridden on Friday only twice - and even then, we rode on some other day. Last week we did both road and off-road rides. We're off on a three day ride tomorrow - up to the Golden Triangle / Paradise Road area, Phu Chi Fa, the highly regarded 1148 (I have a couple of other roads I prefer), across to Bo Kluea (ancient salt wells), Nan and back home. Not sure what I'm riding yet. Maybe a DRZ, possibly the Ducati... might even do it on a CRF. I just lowered one of the CRFs and put motard wheels on it for the missus... so, who knows. As time goes on, my view on what to ride is changing. I like my old Multistrada 1100S because it fits me... what with being a smidge under two metres tall.... BUT - its a handful on a full day ride, like to Pai and back the same day last week - well over 1,000 corners, trying to keep up with the lighter bikes - fastest bike on the day was also the smallest on the ride. The Ducati's battery was dead on Friday when I went to go on the club ride, so I jumped on one of the hire CB500X bikes. Loved it. Far nicer on the tight twisties than the Ducati - saying that though, give me an open sweepers road and it's no choice.
  6. Keef

Keef .. just add pasties

Oddometer:
    Cornwall, in the far southwest of England, UK
    Thanks Ian .. that's good. I have something to aim for now.

I will definitely see you again sometime.:nod

If not this coming December-January, then the same sort of time-frame around 2021-22. See, I'm planning to retire at the end of the year (Christmas 2020) .. and so I'll have plenty of time on my hands from then onward.

Meanwhile - all the best.

Keith