Caponord rally impression

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Leebo, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so after a 3200 mile trip on the aprilia caponord rally I have the following impressions. Keep in mind my last bike was a 2005 BMW GS 1200 so this is the most advanced , tech laden bike I have owned. The impressions are in no means in order of importance, just as they popped in my head.
    Keep in mind I am just an average 55 year old rider... Not a racer, not a squid...
    We did days ranging from 590 miles to 250 miles on the trip and if I had my way I would jump back on and do another 3200 miles but I am back at work.
    In the cons item 2,4 and 5 are more annoyances than anything. None of the cons would be a deal breaker for me.

Cons
    1, it seems to be geared needlessly high.. It idles at 13 mph which sucks in traffic jams.
    2, it is tall and heavy if you have a30 inch inseam.. Much to my chagrin I dropped it on a slopped , loosely gravely turnout in Virginia. Nothing damaged , just a scuff on the crash bar and a dent in my pride.
    3 The cruise control.. Crude at best.. It was easiest using my left hand to activate .. I did appreciate it on the slab.
    4 the position of the mode switch right above the turn signals... Constantly turning on signals looking for mode changes.
    5, the seat.. I have never had a seat that was comfortable after a few hours and this is no different.
    6, clutch pull, see comment 1. Sucks in a traffic jam.
    Pros
    1, the sound... Every time you get on the gas you know it.. And so do you riding partners.. They all talk about how good it sounds.
    2, the bike will eat miles on the slab or the back roads.. Pick a mode and go..
    3, the look... More thumbs up from other people than I can count.
    4, handling... Ok I am not a crotch rocket race bike rider but this bike did everything I asked with out issue.. Grinding pegs on the "dragon" to time on the slab to make time.
    5, price... I don't think a BMW or DUC are worth 5 to 6 grand more.. But that is my opinion.
    6, cruise control, crude but effective. I did 300 miles on slab Sunday and just set the CC and rolled along.
    7, did I mention the sound?
    8, the bags,, multiple times in the rain with no leaks.
    9, riding modes .. Easy to select and definite differences.
    10, Breaks... Fantastic... Pulls the bike down fast with good feel from triple digit speed . I never felt an issue needing to scrub speed in a corner. Whether trail braking or riding the front in to plant the front end pre corner it was all always consistent and never an issue.. Even on a few corners I went in to hot.
    I wish I had an opportunity to take a New GS 1200 on a 3200 mile trip for a comparison but that is not happening. Once again I see no way not to be happy with this bike. I may invest in a Russell Ride all day seat this winter for next years trip.. That was the only issue I had but then everyone on the trip was hurting except the guy with the Russell on his triumph rocket 3.
    flylink, Sock Monkey and bobw like this.
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts down Lee. I'm sure it will help people decide if this bike is for them.

Re. the seat, I have an original AirHawk that I've used on nearly all of my big bikes and it makes a HUGE difference. The trick to using it is to have it barely inflated. Too many people blow them up like a balloon and hate it. The right way to do it is to blow it up, keep the inflation stem out of the zipped case, sit on the bike, then slowly deflate the cushion until you can just barely feel your butt touch the seat. When you get off, you will be amazed at how little air is in it. It's purpose is to remove pressure points by distributing the weight across your butt, and it takes a 200 mile seat and makes it an all day seat, at least for me. I've had it on my BMW, Ducati, 2 Guzzis, and not the Aprilia. It's improved every one, and for the price I paid, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than all the custom seats I would have had to buy. :thumb

-SM
  3. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SM , mine barley has air in and it does let me go 4 hours before I get a sore ass... It definitely helps.
  4. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    For my TP:

con
    1. switched to a 44T rear sprocket - helps with the gearing around town.
    2. I'm 6'1" so less of an issue, but it is a top-heavy bike when stopped no matter how tall you are
    3. I've come to appreciate it. It is crude but it actually is decent for turning it on/off/on again. You can use the throttle to manually speed up then it'll drop back to the set speed.
    4. I don't have an issue with confusing mode/signal, but I wish the auto cancel was a bit quicker
    5. Seat is one of the best stock seats I've had (better than any BWM I've ridden)
    6. agree - clutch pull is heavy by modern bike standards

pro
    1. sounds good with the Arrow as well, looks better than the stock pipe
    2. It is quite comfy on the slab
    3. at first I wasn't crazy about it but it has grown on me
    4. the ADD suspension is worth the price of admission, especially if you switch between solo, 2-up, loaded, etc. I just leave it in auto mode
    5. I got mine used with 180 miles for about $10K. Ridiculously low price for what you get.
    8. unfortunately I don't have the panniers yet as one of them was melted through. I do have the top box which does what it needs to
    9. I usually just keep it in T. Sport can be a bit snatchy, but oddly I find S is better 2-up than solo for me
    10. brakes do what they're supposed to, and the rear brake actually works (crazy for an Italian bike :))

The suspension though - this bike just slays 2-up in the twisties.
    N9921X likes this.
  5. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Static send a photo of it with the arrow..
    I do like the fact on on cc you can accelerate to 12 or 15 mph (I think) with out it shutting off.
    I did not mention mileage..when I was just tooling along working to conserve my rear tire I was getting 44+ to the gallon. One tank showed 49.. When flogging it it dropped to the 39 to 40 range.. Touring mode was great in the tight stuff in West Virginia/Virginia and North Carolina.
    Sock Monkey likes this.
  6. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Getting 40mpg while flogging a new motor is really good. Imagine how it will do once it's run in..... :thumb

-SM
  7. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i was pretty stunned when the one tank figured out at 49..
    my wife asked me if I liked the bike and i was like "fuck yeah"
  8. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    not a great pic - will try to get a better one tomorrow.

I'm getting maybe high 30's mpg, and seems most tanks are about 37mph +/-. Maybe I have a problem with my right wrist :D

[​IMG]
  9. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Static. I would agree that is your problem. The wrist and mpg are definitely connected haha.. Going through west virgina I was pounding it and I was getting the high 30s. It was once I saw my tire was rapidly wearing out and I had to make it 1000 miles home that I stated running conservatively and getting the good mileage...
  10. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_4767.JPG IMG_4775.JPG IMG_4750.JPG IMG_4769.JPG
    CBejbl, flylink, Bikeaddict and 2 others like this.
  11. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the sound and level of performance of the Capo, even though I was using the "T" mode throughout my 150 mile loop in SW Washington today ( Amboy, Cougar, Swift Crk, Old Man Pass, Carson, Stevenson and other back roads to & from my home NE of La Center.) The bike handles very well but I found the suspension lacking -- see my post in the 1200 Rally thread. I averaged 40.6 mpg for the loop, which was better than I expected due to being on and off the throttle so much and no sections long enough to really just cruise along. Now to add a 12v cigar socket and a Powerlet outlet. I installed a tall Givi screen from my just departed Stelvio and today added a MRA adjustable wing -- aerodynamics are very similar to the Stelvio and the combination works about as good as it can get. I'm hoping to use the FAMSA tank bag from the Stelvio, but the base for the bag will have to be modified for it to work. What are others using for tank bags?
    Edit:
    I found a GIVI EA110 Adventure Tank Bag that should work with the Aprilia. If it works well, I'll report back.
  12. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a smaller Wolfman tank bag and am pretty happy with it. I just had to get used to not putting so much crap in it like I did in my GS SWMOTO tank bag...
  13. rdbandkab

rdbandkab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have a Capo TP.. We've been able to put just over 16,200 miles (2up) on her since last July.. We're in northern WV, so we get stuck with a snowy season..
    My take:
    Cons
    1. Yes, these things are geared to the moon for some reason... Maybe some odd "passby" sound regulation trick for the States?
    2. Tall and heavy? Don't ride a Stelvio! The Capo still feels high, but 100% easier to maneuver.
    3. We put the little clear self stick (bumper) button on the stock cruise button. Just helps press it.
    4. Been there, dunnit. And the nice flashing standby for the CC is a bit of a blinker fake out sometimes.
    5. Perhaps the best mod we've done. Had our seats reworked by the "Wicked Stitches" in Sewickely, PA. Custom formed and covered and looks as good or better than stock. http://www.sweetwaterseats.com/
    Check them out before going to RDL.
    [​IMG]
    6. I need Popeye's left forearm in traffic....it's less jumpy if I hold the throttle steady and use the clutch to smooth things out.

Pros
    1. We did a SC-Project carbon oval. Now we don't even have to wait for the magical sound when the butterfly valve opens.
    2. We've been on all kinds of roads. She's covers them without complaint.
    3. I tell people that the company that owns them owns Vespa too. They've heard of Vespa usually.
    4. We do 2 up about 100% of the time. I ride conservatively, so it handles anything I throw at it.
    5. Deal of a lifetime if you don't end up with any issues.
    6. Cruise is nice, but I really don't use it that much. Heck.... I had to have a throttle Rocker on our Futura, the Guzzi's no so much. They had really low resistance on the throttle. The Capo is neutral. I find that I would use a Rocker after about 7 hours in the saddle.
    8. We have the TP bags. We're used to them. Our Futura and Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 used the same setup. In fact, I could toss my 02 Futura bags onto the Capo.
    9. Again, I ride "smooth and steady".. I could ride in any of the three modes and not be able to tell much difference. She's been close to "the ton", but not while trying to peel the back tire off the rim.
    10. The brakes are fine for us, I may have needed to turn off the anti-locks on a big downhill gravel road. They got toasty!

richy
    jwdub likes this.
  14. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ricky,
    You got some great roads down there.
    I think we are riding rt 16 all the way next year.
  15. rdbandkab

Oddometer:
  16. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leebo said, "I bought a smaller Wolfman tank bag and am pretty happy with it."

I gave the FAMSA bag base, made for the Stelvio, another try at fitting it to the Capo and was able to make it work. It's a bit hard to access the ignition, but other than that the bag doesn't interfere with the bars. I received the Givi bag but haven't tried it yet -- I don't think it will be as good as the FAMSA though.
  17. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ricky, we rode from Betchly WV on rt 16 to 81.. Unbelievable road, we rode the tazwell to Marion part two years ago but this year we added the WV part. Next year I want to try the rt 16 through the entire state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. rdbandkab

Oddometer:
    For a short but interesting road, try the road between Dayton, VA and Sugar Grove, WV. I believe it starts out on VA rt 257 through Briery Branch then catches 924 up and over the border of VA and WV. The road turns into 25 on the WV side.
    At the border there's a road to the left up to Reddish Knob Spur. It's a one lane road a few miles up to a parking lot. It has some interesting twists and rides along the border on the ridge of the mountain. Don't go too early or the mist and fog will block the view. When you come off the RKS, and ride down the WV side you can see the radio telescopes at the NIOC at Sugar Grove. (Sugar Grove NSA Listening Station). You'll eventually hit rt 21 or Sugar Grove Rd. It's a decent road to boot!

Found my old link to our vid up Reddish Knob Spur..

richy
  19. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will put that in my bag for net year, have you ever been to frontline power sports in Roanoke? They were telling there is som much good riding right around there that we are tempted to spend a day or so there. I like to stop in on our jaunt and get teeshirts. Been south 4 of the last 5 years and have 3 shirts from there...

20. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watched the video, was that one way road up and down or are you f'ed if car is coming the other way?