Caponord rally impression

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Leebo, Jun 21, 2016.

1. rdbandkab

rdbandkab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One way! There were only a few spots for 2 vehicle passage. It looked like there might be some gravel roads down off the ridge also. This was back on our old NTX. My wife got very quiet on that road.. hahaha..
  2. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    after almost 6000 trouble free miles i am liking this bike more and more... and my last tank of gas i got 46 mpg... there was a yellow one at the dealer 2 weeks ago and it is gone already... maybe i will see it on the road but so far no other that i have seen.
  3. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If anyone's interested, The Aprilia/Moto Guzzi dealer in Portland, Oregon said that the next Rally he gets will be yellow.
    Bikeaddict likes this.
  4. jwdub

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 2 day 1000 mile ride. The best part of which went west on Hwy 96 from I-5 to Happy Camp, CA and then FR48 to Obrien, OR, Grants Pass, Galice, Agness on the Rogue River, then up the Oregon coast from Gold Beach to Waldport and on inland to Alsea, Philomath, Kings Valley, Pedee, Dallas, Newberg and home in SW Washington. The engine is one of the smoothest that I've ever experienced - even rivaling my 03 GL1800. I went on some of the twistiest roads available on my route and the Aprilia handled it all, frost heaves, gravel, all types of pavement surfaces, etc. It's easy to make fast transitions and line corrections mid corner -- in a word, the handling is excellent. It's no slouch either. On Hwy 34 toward Alsea I made a 2 car pass on a short slightly curvy straight. At the time I wasn't looking at anything but the road, however, when I gassed up later I saw that the recorded top speed was 103 -- probably a realistic 90 -95 MPH. I wouldn't have guessed that I was going that fast -- I'll have to be a bit more aware of it's acceleration abilities in the future.

The windshield arrangement (a tall Givi screen with a touring MRA wing) gives me excellent protection and wind management -- no buffeting, a rare thing for me on any bike. The temps ranged from the high 90's to 50 and fog on the coast. There is quite a bit of heat off of the motor/catalytic converter but I wear insulated pants, which really prevents most of the heat from penetrating.

Initially I wasn't really happy with the suspension. However, on this trip with bags and top box loaded with about 40+ pounds of stuff and the suspension on auto, it worked great. With a total of 1900 miles on it now, the seals in the forks and shock have probably loosened up a bit.

I used about a pint of oil from the initial service oil/filter change just before I left, so about 2000 miles/quart.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Rally.

John
    Mr. Canoehead likes this.
  5. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sounds like a good trip
  6. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully doing a deal on one today, they are a rare sight in Aus. I wanted the ST, but it's a lazy slug, also rode the TEX but the price scared me, not as much as the GSA tho. For ref. GSA is $30k here, Triumph is $28k, Capo is $22k.

We (wifey and I) rode the Multistrada Enduro right before the Rally, I loved the Duc motor but the ergonomics reminded me so much of my old Italian cars (1970 Fiat 124 spider and 67 Coupe), you know the short legs-long arm thing. My boot was too long for the damn shifter (size 10, not that bloody big!), my knees cramped up (6ft), and deal breaker was the pillion grab rails are higher than the seat, and dug into wifeys butt cheeks, and no she ain't a barge arse.

Jumped on the Capo and it felt right straight away. We're coming off a 660z Tenere, which despite appearances is a real surprise packet and has showed up faults on just about every bike we've tested. Not the Aprilia. And that engine note is just a giggle and turned me into a red light revver. The only thing that annoyed me was the cruise but hey, never had a bike with it before so I can live without it. The only time I'd be using it around here is on the freeway and I hate riding on it, easily avoidable.

If I could find a niche for the Capo it'd be just under the Adventure R for grunt and hoon factor, above the GSA for flick ability, a gnats nut behind the TEX for equipment (no heated seat, who cares right?), and right alongside the Super Ten for pricing and off road/on road mix. A very underrated and surprising bike.
    jwdub likes this.
  7. jwdub

Oddometer:
    Give us some more feedback after your wife has ridden with you for a bit. How the auto suspension mode works double up along with her level of comfort/room on the bike.
    TIA
    John
  8. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club, 6200 miles on mine in 3 months and still lovin it. Not a single issue at all.
  9. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picking it up today. And of course it's chucking it down. Does rain mode make the rain go away, or attract it?
    FREDO RIDER and bobw like this.
  10. jwdub

Oddometer:
    You'll have to tell us what you think of the rain mode in the rain! Congrats on your purchase.
  11. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm bloody impressed by the tc, gravel and wet roads it works seamlessly, other tc bikes I rode it was choppy. I switched it off on the gravel, not a good move on Tourances.
  12. jwdub

Oddometer:
    I've only noticed my tc when hitting a patch of gravel and/or goosing it in my driveway. It's good to know that it works well in the wet!
  13. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did a 100 mile loop with my wife on the back. I had the top box on for a rest and she said she was fine the way it sat. She said the angle on her knee was better than the BMW so that is a plus.
    Everything worked great, nice late summer ride in New England
  14. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did a 700 mile round trip to Wikes barre Pa. Real happy with the Michlen Pilots I put on. Did a lot of state roads, some slab on the way home to avoide a storm.. In and out of rain for the last 100 miles.. Not a twitch or issue.
    The bike just eats miles... Back road or slab....does everything I want or need..
    Starting to sound like a broken record.. Haha
    flylink and dedecaster like this.
  15. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely chucked it down on Sun. coming back from a trip. I was wet from the neck up and the knees down, that screen and fairing-ish do a good job. Had some twitches, rain mode and tc 3, but only when I hit standing water. Tourances are still shit in gravel and clay, lost the front a couple of times but I was pushing it trying to keep up with an 1190 on knobs.

Bike is certainly upset with full panniers and top box, not bad just a bit sluggish to tip in then change direction when having a crack. Cruising they are fine. I'm 50, gotta stop acting 5.
  16. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul, agree about top case and full panniers. I had a fucking huge speed wobble following a car that ripped past us . I looked at the speedo and it showed 122 was where I cut the throttle.. Ditch the tiurances and try the pilot pros, you won't be sorry.
  17. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hypothetically speaking mine red lines at 131 indicated in 4 th gear....to me that does not seem to sluggish haha
    Sock Monkey likes this.
  18. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sluggish tipping into a corner mate, bit reluctant to change lines. I hope that 131 is mph not kmh!
  19. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha yes MPH... With the Pilots you won't find the sluggishness... Really like how they feel
  20. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got 2 long rides planned next year, one around Tasmania with a fair bit of gravel and sandy single track, the other thru the Flinders Ranges mostly loose rock and river stones/gravel so thinking Shinko 705, after I give the Tourances a flogging over summer of course. Drawback is 110mph speed rating but Wifey will be on the back and I get sore ribs anything over 70mph. I can get 'em for around $80 each, Pilots are up around $140 and by the looks more road tho not as much as Tourances.

Mate with the 1190 has the Motoz tyres, they are throwing chunks at me and are half stuffed at 1000 kms, they look and work good but on a big horsepower bike they are getting chewed.