Caponord Rally vs Multistrada 950s

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Genypig, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Genypig

Genypig n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

New to this forum, so hopefully this post hits the right destination.

Lately I have been wanting to get away from sportbikes due to more pain in the hands and back. I've ridden several ADV style motorcycles and believe it would probably be the best direction to go.

There is a brand new 2017 Caponord Rally at my local dealership. I must admit, I have never sat on a more comfortable seat. My wife thought the same. (We ride one up quite often).

At the same time, I have been saving money for a Multistrada. I've always been a fan of their Vtwins and Ducati's vision and taste.

Overall, I plan on riding 90% on road with a few shortcuts here and there on gravel. So I'm not too worried about off road capability. However, it is nice to know that your bike is capable of you getting lost in the middle of Colorado or something.

Both bikes are Italian. Except the Caponord is no longer in production, and the Ducati 950s costs a bit more when brand new.

Here are my questions:

1. Does Ducati offer more reliability over the Caponord? Or vice versa?
    2. Is the Multistrada worth the several grand extra over the Caponord? (They both seem to offer very similar electronic aids and riding positions)
    I plan on test riding both the bikes. However, I know that one single test ride can never replace years of ownership and experience. If any of you have suggestions, I would absolutely love to hear them. I've seen all of the YouTube videos and read many posts. I probably just need a slight nudge towards the right direction. My biggest fear is to end up with a motorcycle that will be overly dependent on the dealership and not trustworthy when 500 miles away from home. Also, I plan on keeping the bike for many years. (Longterm outlook)

PS, I also have a soft spot for the Vstrom 1000, but the lack of cruise control and the factory seat is a bit of a deal breaker.

Thank you!
  2. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Both bikes should be plenty reliable by now. Though maintenance, especially valve checks and adjustments, will be expensive on both; but I think the interval for those is 15k miles.

Just to add another variable, have you thought about a Stelvio NTX? Reliability is on par with the Capo and the Multi, if not better, but YMMV. However maintenance is comparatively trivial.
  3. Genypig

Genypig n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response! I do like the bigger fuel tank of the Stelvio, but honestly have zero experience and knowledge of Moto Guzzi's.
    Maintenance, such as oil changes, I prefer to do at home. I know that these newer models require dealers to reset the maintenance lights, but other than that, I hear that they are still home-garage friendly. Valve adjustments on the other hand, I cannot do alone. But 15k miles is much much better than 7k!
  4. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    While the Guzzi valve checks are more frequent, they're also much much easier: I've done mine in 1/2 hour in a public parking lot.

Naturally there's many more things to consider when buying a bike than just valve checks, but I believe the more informed you are the happier you will be with your choices.
  5. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had my Capo for 30,000 Kay’s now. Stressed about the valve service, stripped all the shit off to get access and trailered it into the dealership. No adjustment needed, $300 inc oil and filters and an enjoyable day in the shed.

They haul arse, I rode every 1200 I could get hold of and the only one that felt fasterbetterstronger was the 1290SA, with a $10k premium. Capo sounds way better than other v twins, and the e suspension works a treat. They come with everything, only farkle I’ve put on was a GPS.
  6. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I been doing the same research . The capo is not available and the dealer network is bad. Example my state has no dealers . The 950 has Desmo service at 18k now. A lot of 950 out there but the 2019 950s is what I want . It’s a bit more but it has cruise control, sky hook, Tft , up and down quick shifter . As I rarely buy new I have decided that a 950 S is what I want.
    U can get a capo rally from. A dealer a lot cheaper . Wish I had a local dealer .