Car lighter chargers for cellphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by gefr, May 4, 2019.

1. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I am using a smart phone for GPS and it needs to be plugged to operate with the app and screen at full brightness. I had problems keeping the GPS operating, so figured to use an app to measure charging currents.
    Using a "belkin" car charger 2,1Amp and found the current fluctuating and reducing all the time reaching 30mA, 10mA and 0mA in 3-5minutes, letting the battery empty.
    In order to avoid possible problems on the car electrical system, I repeated my experiments at home, on a 12V switching transformer and found similar results.
    I used the app "Ampere" and "Battery monitor" on a Samsung S6.
    Anybody have ever tested your chargers with these apps?
    What is your experience with these chargers?
  2. rescuejg

rescuejg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a bad charger.
  3. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I have 4 so I am trying to figure out if all are faulty, which I find hard to believe.
    O.K. things started looking up.
    I used a different transformer 220AC-12VDC, very heavy that seems to give better output power, probably not switching, old type.
    The "belkin" stabilizes at 900-1000mAmps and another chinese of my collection of 4. It seems the switching transformer was the problem.
    Cheers
  4. rescuejg

rescuejg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did i misunderstand, i thought you said phone battery died when plugged into it.

Either they are bad or not putting out enough juice for your phone.

I personally like OEM branded chargers or Anker
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the first thing I do with a new charger is text it's probably with Ampere.

lots of them ended up in the trashcan.
  6. thetubespoke

thetubespoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had issues on the car's cigarette plug, at home on one 220V AC -> 12 V DC, but not on the other? What was the issue in the car? Seems like it would get plenty of current.
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a bag of adjustable buck regulators. Hook them to a USB cable and adjust them to 5.2 volts. Those do a great job of charging my phone.

One thing I found on Samsung phones, and it may apply to others. If the voltage dips and the charger drops out momentarily, like when you hit the start button, the phone logic thinks that it overloaded the charger. So it reduces the current draw to make sure it is not overloading the charger. You end up with a dead phone. I found that I needed to connect some chargers AFTER starting the bike. I actually automated that with relays, and eventually found the better chargers that did not drop out when starting the bike.
  8. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    Do a little research on the best car charger adapter. Some great and some not so good!