Car tire on your road bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by nedodjija, Jul 6, 2009.

1. nedodjija

nedodjija Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you installed a car tire on your bike rear wheel please post some pictures and let us know what your opinion is. Why is it better/worst, cost difference and so forth. Thanks.
  2. 2ndSPACE

2ndSPACE Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I had a rare tire I would use the search feature.
  3. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    This web site / forum is dedicated to those riders that have gone darkside

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/index.htm

Myself, have used a car tyre on two of my Rocket 111's, and on a Honda Goldwing 1800 that my wife & I used for a 1/2 lap of Australia last year.
    On the wing, I hardly noticed the extra countersteering effect you get when going darkside. The benifit on the wing was;
    Using a run-flat tyre (no worries about punctures)
    Only needing the one tyre for a 13,500 Km trip, even when two up with a large trailer attached. (still looked new when the trip eneded)
    The run-flat was a lot more comfortable for the pillion as it only needed to be inflated to 29PSI, where as the bike tyre was 44PSI. (the wife could notice the more comfy ride with the car tyre).
    Bike tyre $390AUD about 6-7,000 km's / Run Flat $180AUD about 25,000 km's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 245x55x16 Toyo's I run on the Rocket 111's are for grip and nothing else. These modified Rocket 111 motors put out 200RWHP and NO bike tyre (in 240 size) will take that amount of HP. I can still carve the corners and scrape the pegs, but there is a a lot more force needed through the bars (countersteering) when cornering. The bike will also tend to follow the camber of the road so you are required to keep a firm hold of the bars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rocket 111 tyre $440 AUD about 5,000km's if your gentel / Toyo 245 $250 about 15 - 20,000 km's depending on how many times I take it to the drags.
    Going darkside is not for everyone, but there are a lot of us that are very happy with our choices.
    Regards Bob
  4. Limitless

Limitless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only for those who don't love the corners or are living after a nuclear apocalypse.

2ndSpace::rofl:rofl:roflhe had it coming...
  5. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another can of worms opened................
  6. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. ALvis?

ALvis? Norton

Oddometer:
    CAR tire- a tire made for CARS
    BIKE tire- a tire made for BIKES
  8. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    ????? drag racing? Do you live in Nebraska???????

Other than side car applications, I can't figure why one would think this is a good idea......do tell please.
  9. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. Trophymick

Trophymick Just another lemon

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming, dare to be different.:deal
    If I ever buy a wing, (and after reading 'sly's' road report, and the need for comfort at my tender age, I'm tempted) I would give it a try.:thumb
    It's been established, (for all the flat earth society) that the the earth is round.:evil
    Nice one LOFTYBOB.:thumb

Mick
  11. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 205/55 17 General Excedra UHP sitting in the garage right now, waiting to be mounted on the rear of my 2008 Cross Bones. I would not do this if it didn't have a sidecar attached to it, but since it does I'd like to get a little bit more than 4000 miles out of a rear tire. When it comes to sidecars you can only use the center of the tires anyway so why not use a flat car tire that will last 3 - 4 times longer than a comparably sized motorcycle tire?
  12. nedodjija

Oddometer:
    I read bunch of stuff on the net and people that run them love them. I just wonder why don't they make motorcycle tires cheeper and more durable.
  13. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    Not that I gunna mount one on my ninja but what exactly are the negatives when mounted on a large heavy high torque touring bike ??
  14. nedodjija

Oddometer:
    Don't make me slap your RARE
  15. skubidoobie

skubidoobie Loves to Ride

Oddometer:
    Also another benefit of car tires is extra weight capacity they can handle, so if you like the 300lb ladies you can bring her to the buffet on your bike! :freaky
  16. LOFTYBOB

Oddometer:
    The only negative "I" found whilst riding the wing, was the little bit extra steering effort required when riding slow around round-a-bouts and corners. At speeds over 20Kmph this steering effort is negated.
  17. 2ndSPACE

2ndSPACE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Point is that this has been covered many times over as recently as last month. Tire and oil...........................:ken
  18. ALvis?

ALvis? Norton

Oddometer:
    I found a "bike" that can use car tires...
    [​IMG]
  19. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got about 4000 miles so far on this tire (picture taken when it was first put on). No problems yet.

Biggest difference is that it takes a little more "counter steer" to put it in a turn. Other than that, I often forget it's back there.

Wear wise... it has 4000 miles on it and VERY little wear. I'd imagine 30,000 miles before it wears down. By then, I'll probably change it out due to being old.

Cost of tire was about $75 with shipping.

I did this only because I live in Louisiana and 90% of my riding is on straight roads. If I lived in the mountains, I probably would never have tried it. However, now that I HAVE tried it, I'd keep it on there no matter where I lived.

[​IMG]
  20. LOFTYBOB

Oddometer:
    So did I
    [​IMG]