car tire size for Vstrom ??? (Pros and cons of car tire on a bike)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Jimm Dandy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Kubla

Kubla Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok naysayers, I can put tires on my car that last 50k or more miles and they cost less than motorcycle tires and the mounting charge is a quarter of what places charge to mount bike tires, also I am the guy that would have permanent "chicken strips" on my bike tires, in the past because I was riding a HD Electra Glide and now because I ride mainly in the city and on the interstate and my bad back generally limits my riding to about an hour at a time

I have never run car tires, my bike tires tend to be replaced because of age instead of wear, but why in this day of 50k to 100K car tires (excluding sports car gumballs) why do motorcycle tires only last 10K or less yet cost twice as much as a car tire?

running car tires is not a new thing, I have talked to harley riders who were using 16 inch VW beetle tires on the back of their harleys in the 60's (yes, early beetles used a 16 inch wheel) because they were better than the stock goodyear harley tire which looked just like a car tire

and yes, the rear tire on my last harley was beginning to get flat in the center at 5K miles

until someone can explain to me why I need to buy 5 or 6 200 dollar bike tires for the rear of my bike (not the helix, they are $60 each but only last about 4k) while the 80 dollar firestones on my caddy fleetwood brougham will last 50 k miles or more I would not ridicule anyone who chooses to run a Car tire on the back of a bike on a trip because they do not want to have to buy a new one and have it mounted (at a high cost) in the middle of their trip

And yes, I would ride a bike with car tires on it, it could not be any worse than the mini bikes I used to ride with square corner go cart tires on them or the shwin stingray bicycle that had that wonderful square cornered slick on the back of it
  2. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    parrently you haven 't been reading posts car tires on single track sucks, its the one thing I had to give up, the bike is trying to highside ya all the time cause it has too much grip

and claims have been made and paid by insurance companies, they do wiggle out on anything they can, but running car tires is not an exclusion

give it up,

no one is asking you to run a car tire, there is already millions of miles showing that running a car tire is not hazardous to the rider or the public

what is your beef anyway, were you in one of the SUVs stuck in a ditch as I rode past on my V-strom in a blizzard ?
  3. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would guess that part of it has to do with economies of scale. I don't know numbers, I but I would assume that there are way more car tires sold than moto tires.
  4. Hoppalong

Hoppalong Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's a far cry from some of the others' dubious claims of mixing it up with the local squids.
  5. Hoppalong

Hoppalong Adventurer

Oddometer:

Please, kingby, it's not fair using logic.
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    See! Now that's a legitimate reason. Kudos to you, sir. Now, if you had said, "Car tires handle awesome! In fact I positively MURDERED Ben Spies at COTA on my car tire equipped VStrom," we'd be a little suspicious.
  7. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    Is it my faulty memory or did motorcycle tires actually last a long time 40 years ago?

If I could find a CT that would fit my old GL500 I'd give it a try. Just put a set of Michelin Commander 2 tires on for an Alaska trip because I didn't want to hassle with with a tire change in the middle of the trip. Michelin advertises that they last "up to twice as long" as other long distance touring tires "up to 25,000 miles". I'm skeptical but we'll soon see.
  8. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Um, tire technology has improved a bit since the 1960's. In much the same way that the same bike then could be a leading edge sportbike, or touring bike, or dirtbike, simply by changing the exhaust and handlebars, but in none of those configurations would be anywhere near as good as a modern sportbike, touring bike, or dirtbike. It didn't make much difference then, because car and bike tires both sucked really badly.

Nowadays, we know enough to design things for different applications, to work well in those specific applications. The upside is that things work a LOT better when used as intended. The downside is that they do not work very well when used in some other way, especially compared to things that are actually designed to be used in that way. This applies to a lot more than tires.

Engineering is a complex discipline, and exists for good reason.

PhilB
  9. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Did someone in this thread say that?:dunno
  10. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Riders want more grip now, especially sportbike riders who want to lean like in MotoGP. Softer tires, more grip, but faster wear. Some of those multi-compound tires try to address this but more complicated construction = pricier.
  11. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Apparently they keep thinking someone did because they keep referencing it? :huh

I think the closest you and I came to anything remotely close was saying that CT didn't slow us down as much as you would think when playing in the mountains and apparently that means we are claiming to be MotoGP bikes on 60hp VStrom's with CT. :lol3

Neither one of us said it wasn't without compromise in some aspects, but you had gains in other area's that off set that.
  12. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how the antagonist like attributing this sorta BS to us isn't it. How's the old saying go- "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

People coming into this thread probably won't read the entire thing to verify that and will think that the CT folk are trying to say the CT is better than a MT in every aspect. Even if we prove them wrong, the people that heard that crap will never get it out there heads. It's a pretty common tactic among those that can't think for themselves or disprove that you are actually saying.:deal
  13. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to guess that "they keep thinking someone did" due to statements such as the following, quoted (mostly from you two) from this very thread:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

PhilB
  14. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

If so, they either can't read, can't comprehend or they just are idiots.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Slowphil [​IMG]
    ... is generally a better engineered contact point between the bike and the road than a motorcycle tire! ...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I can't talk for slowphil or bluelightinging but can easly explain the quotes you posted from me.

Traction,,,,, traction with the CT I ran is better than the MTs I run on the DL. The traction is in fact better than a 705 or the like. Traction is not the same as handling and the handling at the extremes is not as good with a CT as a MT. I specifically stated exactly that, on several occations. Funny, they either repeatedly missed that or more likely, ignored it because it didn't fit what they wanted to believe?

Also, I did not say the traction from the CT was better than say,,,, a Pilot Pure did I? I don't run Pilot Pures on the DL for goodness sakes and I beleive I made it abundantly clear what MTs I was comparing the CT to.:huh

I am running at a faster pace than the majority of Adv type riders,,,, whether I'm on 705s, Big Blocks or the derned CT. That's the truth and I'll speak for Bluelightning here, he is too. If you don't beleive that, ohhh well,,, come out and ride with one of us. I did not say I was the fastest Adv type rider, I did not say that I could outrun every rider on a sportbike, I simply said I like playing with them and it did make me grin.

By "we", I was referring to Bluelighting and I. And yes, I'll stand by that and say again, "if you don't think it's possible for an experienced rider on a DL with a CT on the rear to show it's ass to a squidlet on a sportbike,,,,,,, well, you don't ride much.". The limiting factor on how fast I can ride my DL is the 705 I had mounted up front as I was more worried about it pushing {the front 705 doesn't offer alot of feedback and is pretty vague when pushed} than the CT out back sliding.

Also notice I said "squidlet",,,,, I don't know about you or any of the people in this very thread but I don't call experienced riders "squidlets". I didn't say I could outrun an experienced, fast rider on a sportbike, I specifically said a squidlet.

I'm not trying t speak for Dan here but I do believe if you posted the whole thing, it would be pretty easy to see that he was responding to someone that had said he must be a slow ass rider. He is not, far from it. That's all. He did not nor did I say we could outrun Rossi, Spies or any experienced and or fast rider on a sportbike. Simply that we were faster than many riders and yes, either of us can leave many a squid piloted sportbike. That doesn't mean the CT handles better than every MT or that it has more traction than any MT.

Both of us specifically stated the CT handles differently and in fact, did handle worse at the extremes either cornering on tarmac or when in really rough off tarmac situations. I will not quote those and post it again because in nearly every major post Bluelighting or I made, we took great pains to explain that. But again, it's easy to pick and choose comments, take them out of context and do your best to make it appear we are saying the CT has no drawbacks what-so-ever as compared to a MT.
  15. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Well said Jud. :clap

That pretty much sums it up for me too.
  16. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'l (hopefully) note that I am not among those claiming that you guys claimed performance advantages. My input to this thread has mainly been from an engineering standpoint, that using complex and carefully designed objects in ways they were very much not designed for is not a good idea.

My post above was simply for your edification -- you were wondering why some were saying you had made performance claims; I extracted the posts that they were referring to, which sounded like performance claims and not like rational admissions of the compromises in performance that you otherwise keep saying you are saying. I have no need for, or interest in, your defenses for those posts. Whatever. But that's where they got the idea that you were claiming CTs were as good or better than MTs at everything.

PhilB
  17. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not directing the towards you, I was directing it towards the antaganists that keep parroting that crap-

I did not include the word "you".:1drink
  18. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I think it comes down to this: Spies stuck it up the inside and took the lead going into turn 20, but he ran a little wide and his motorcycle tire spun up when he tried to get on the gas. You were able to get the power down sooner due to the superior grip of the car tire, so you won the drag race to the finish line. Well done, sir. Well done indeed.:clap
  19. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

See! Now that's a good post. Kudos to you, sir. Now, if you had made a post that was not obviously satire, we'd be a little suspicious that you were serious and in fact,,, full of shit. :deal

Glad to see you come around sport.:1drink
  20. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK I'm swimming upstream here and I'm aware of it but I have to ask this:

Why does anyone care what tire another person puts on their ride? Or what color they paint their house, the mattress they buy or what kind of dog they have?

I know, tens of thousands of forum members here literally live to (vainly attempt) to enforce THEIR WILL upon the rest of the moto world. Are these folks that feeble/powerless in real life???

Really, who cares? It has no effect on your life (if it does then you are sad + pathetic). It has no effect on your motorcycle, where you ride, when you ride, what you wear when you ride, the speed you ride,the oil you use, who you pass when you ride, who you make "blink", your work life/home life or the happiness you wring from this life. It has no effect on your romantic life, what you eat for dinner tonight, how you sleep or who you sleep with.

Who cares!? If a guy/chic is happy with their tire (not YOUR tire THIER stinking tire, buy whatever tire makes you grin), what is it to you?

You're faster, more demanding, more descriminating, more whatever you want to describe yourself as (right, we get it), but some other dudes choice of tire doesn't diminish YOUR super human capabilities so why do people get all worked up over other humans choices?
    That worked (for a while) in the Soviet Union, but for the most part this is America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

Face it, obama hasn't called upon any of you to set the federal standard of ALL MOTORCYCLISTS NATIONWIDE, no one really has to do what YOU want them to do. Wish all ya want, they'll put a car tire on if they feel like it.

It's a stupid end result of the interwebs, If you are not exactly like me you must be an idiot cause I've figgured every life decision out.
    Get a slight bit into the real outside world and you'll find that nobody is "just like you think they should be".
    That's a good thing because the world would be pretty boring if everybody rode my goofy bike, and dressed like me.

If you like the car tire, then run the car tire, if you don't, then (duh) don't, but you dorks will never (no matter how hard you try) control the free choices of other human beings.

DO