car tire size for Vstrom ??? (Pros and cons of car tire on a bike)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Jimm Dandy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the new Viper on the back of my Vrod, it turns a LOT quicker (for a Vrod: )) compared to the rear tires I've used before.

But now I'm thinking I should mount a car tire just to piss off the world.

A Vrod, with a car tire and a state of the art Vetter Windjammer (look that one up youngsters) and ape hangers. That should do the trick.

DO

I'll be passing Vstroms and Ducati's wholesale I'm bettin. Go Me.
  2. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people do care about the safety and well-being of other people. Mostly what these discussions are about is not so much to control what some people choose to do, but to set the record straight so that those who don't know about whatever the subject is don't get misled by the misinformed. That's what this thread is about. That's what the "Countersteering Confusion" thread is about. Plenty of others.

Neither I nor anyone else here has advocated forcing anyone to do or not do anything. No one has been calling for a law about it. Some of us are trying to argue for good sense.

I see it as pretty much the same as the arguments about helmets and helmet laws. I oppose helmet laws; adults have the right to make their own choices. However, I also very much believe in the value of helmets. I wear mine every time. I advocate doing so, and I try to persuade people I know to do so. And if someone tries to bring up the dumb old claim that helmets cause injuries and are less safe than riding without, I'll make the effort to dispute the misinformation, because I don't want people to be misled.

I believe in the power of being intelligent and informed. That requires that those who are intelligent and informed make some effort to provide sensible arguments and good information. People are then free to do (or not do) with that information as they will, but it at least will be (or will have had the opportunity to be) an informed choice.

PhilB
  3. Hoppalong

Hoppalong Adventurer

Oddometer:

It's quite simple, Daddyo:

Riders posted about putting car tires on their motorcycles, supposedly to invite discussion. And discussion, if done correctly, can include disagreement and criticism as well as agreement.

And a little good natured sarcasm helps keep it interesting.

The only one getting upset and wanting to limit the discussion, apparently, is you.
  4. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Good post.:1drink
  5. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    can't be. thats impossible on a CT.
  6. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how anyone could think that, then type it out and post it, read it again and not delete it.
  7. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Uhhh, it's easy, I ride every day, I visit the interwebs maybe on average once a week or two.

Maybe my comments hit a little close to the nose for a cat like you who has 15 thousand posts on a moto forum!!!???? !% thousand?? Do you actually ride? Or do you ride the web?

Wow, you spend a lot of time pecking at a keyboard dude.

So no, no irony for me, maybe lot of it for you.

DO
  8. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    ok. it seems that the CT haters have never tried anything that is not mainstream. if I read another page is this internet bullshit I am going to puke. Never have I read so many closed minded comments on a fucking adventure site. Don't do it, thats crazy. Well, look at Hubert, RTWDoug...how on earth did THEY ever do that!? Thats fucking crazy!

how do I unsubscribe from this silly scary close minded internet bullshit thread? oh yeah :unsubscribe!
  9. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    oh no I didn't unsubscribe in time! I am being challenged to an internet pissing/riding contest!
    you don't get it.
  10. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hoppylong you got all butt hurt over my last post. Then you go and do it again on this one.

Looks like I have a stalker, who hates car tires.

Reread hoppy, it's not difficult. You can impart motives to me if it makes you "feel" better, but they're not accurate and you know it.

DO
  11. Hoppalong

Hoppalong Adventurer

Oddometer:

"butt hurt" and "stalker". How imaginative. I'm impressed (I'm being facetious since I assume you're not a twelve-year-old).

O.K. I went back a re-read your post. Twice. And I stick by what I wrote.. To explain why, here are some samples from your post:

"tens of thousands of forum members here literally live to (vainly attempt) to enforce THEIR WILL upon the rest of the moto world."

They disagreed with you, plain and simple.

"not YOUR tire THIER stinking tire,"

I point out your use of the word "stinking". Again, people can disagree. Even if it stinks.

"That worked (for a while) in the Soviet Union, but for the most part this is America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave."

Now that one is just silly: Nobody has prevented you from posting to this thread. Again, again, again, people can disagree. Don't you agree?

"If you are not exactly like me you must be an idiot cause I've figgured every life decision out."

Well you might not be completely wrong that I think that about you. I admit it. You might be an idiot.
  12. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    LMAO this thread is hysterical :rofl
  13. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta get some car tires.
    Anything that tweaks the nanny state bunch this much can't be all bad.

DO, over and out.
  14. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gollly geeze Wally,,,, you're a bright un ain'tcha.:lol3
  15. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

Just one more reason to get out of bed in the morning. :D
  16. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering that exactly no one here arguing against CTs on bikes has said anything whatsoever about laws, police, or the government being involved in this issue at all, you (surprise!) show the lack of reading comprehension and reasoning skills that are so common these days. Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for becoming a Darksider.

Isn't doing something dumb, just because you were told it was dumb, something most people outgrow by about age 5?

PhilB
  17. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:

Really show the man and the lizzard people and the mind control waves sent out by the government and ride your bike without any tires at all. Look at the money you will save! No one has done it so it must be good!
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you honestly think that with the lack of open mindedness shown by some on here, what Daddyo is talking about is so far fetched?

I didn't see you chime in when mrdumbass and others were saying that we said we could run down Spies and Rossi on a DL shod with car tires.

As far as you saying that he shows a lack of reading comprehension and reasoning,,,,, look into the mirror when saying that and you would be spot on. You and your fellow dogpilers ask a question, we answer it and at times, y'all ignore it and keep on asking the same shit. Y'all make a statement that's false, we tell you might be wrong and we get ridiculed. Someone treats you {actually, they didn't specifically call you personally out} exactly like you and others have been treating us and you get your ass on your shoulders and start attacking anyone that doesn't see things exactly your way.

At first, I thought you came into this thread with a great degree of skeptitism but were willing to look at things with open eyes. Nope, you are no different than mrdumbass and a couple others,,,, you just take a different tact.

You have crapped this thread up with your BS just like you've crapped up the Counter steering tread. Just go away dork.:csm
  19. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. He's flat out wrong in accusing any of us of being "nanny-staters", since none of us have said anything whatsoever about the state being involved. So yes, flat out false accusations are "far-fetched". I, for example, am a committed and active and very vocal libertarian, and about as far from a "nanny-stater" as it is possible to get.

I didn't chime in either way because I didn't have anything to say on the subject. That one was just a limp-wristed slap-fight on both sides

I explained above exactly why I said that he shows a lack of reading comprehension and reasoning -- he made a blatantly false accusation. Meanwhile, disagreeing with an answer that is given is different from ignoring it. I have taken in your explanations and experiences and rationalizations, and none of those have convinced me that what you are doing makes any rational or engineering sense.

I didn't "attack" anyone until some of you started namecalling and getting personal. If you can't make your arguments, and start lashing out in immature frustration at those who are rationally unconvinced of your position, don't be surprised if people treat you like the children you are acting like.

Yep, I came into this thread with a great degree of skepticism but was willing to look at things with open eyes. Having looked, you're still not making good sense.

There, as here, I have advocated rational analysis and accurate information. I have opposed misinformation, irrationality, and wilful ignorance. If you think that's "crapping things up", then bummer for ya, dude. I habitually do those things, and will continue to do so.

PhilB
  20. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    You're a windbag Philby , wake up.