Car Tires Really

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    What are you running Ching Shings...:huh
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What motorcycle tire can you buy for $12? :rofl:rofl:rofl

I wonder how many have tried the car tire and decided it would not work for them besides JustinP on his Busa.

I would love to try a car tire on the pusher for my Ural but there is not enough room.
  3. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    save even more money by going with solid rubber riding mower tires. the bonus is it will not cripple your bikes handling much more than the regular dumbsider tire and you should get about 100,000 miles out of it.
  4. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    I know they work on bikes with sidehacks, but I'm concerned with the contact patch in the corners, especially on a large bike like a BMW GS. I am sure I'd use one if I need a rear tire & nothing else was available.
  5. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for Moto-GP to discover the superior benefits of car tires on bikes. I can see it now , both rear AND front car tires. I guess they'll catch up eventually.:lol3
  6. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    I would think you would need to pay some attention to get a symmetrical tread
    I have seen some in this thread that were not and not sure if in the wet the pattern forcing water to one side more than the other could present a problem ?

and I see the tire burners swear the contact is just as good in a corner but I don't quite see it that way also i it was the shiznit wouldn't the real racers be all over this ?

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/0907_crup_mounting_car_tires_on_motorcycles/

and how do you answer the question of white wall out or in ???:lol3

I don't run trailer tires on my trailers cause there crap but thats as far as I will wonder LOL

asymmetrical a problem ?
    I think maybe
    [​IMG]
  7. Bar None

Oddometer:
    So you tried the CT and didn't like it?
  8. Bar None

Oddometer:
  9. Bar None

Oddometer:
  10. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    it will be at least 10 years before they are as technologically advanced as hicks that cant ride around a corner that are trying to save $10 a year. :lol3
  11. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Only a lunatic would run a car tire!:deal

Here's proof!

[​IMG]

:hide:hide
  12. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Who wants a Miata ride?!

Oddometer:

This same flawed logic shows up in every darkside discussion. It's only a matter of time before some sheep bleats out the pitiful, "Why aren't race bikes using car tires?"

It is such a stupid arguement. I can only put tires on my motorcycle that motorcycle racers put on theirs? What kind of logic is that? I have two cars - a mini van and an SUV. Niether are shod with tires that any NASCAR, Formula 1, or Indy race car would ever use. Does that mean my cars are going to burst into flames?

I ride a cruiser. I don't race in Moto-GP. Why is it so difficult to understand that my needs in tires are different then the needs of a race bike?

Joexr? ZMan? What tires are you running on your bikes? Super gummy, 500 mile, racing slicks I assume?
  13. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

I would never consider running a bias ply car/truck tire

a radial car tire carcass behaves the same as a radial bike tire, sidewalls flex, the carcass distorts to keep the contact on the road, even at rull lean with pegs scraping, contact patch is equal to or larger than the bike tire contact patch at the same lean angle

looking at an unloaded tire sitting on a sidestand is not what is on the road when it is loaded with weight and centrifugal force riding down the road
    nk14zp likes this.
  14. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    Did that sentence make sense to you when you typed it up? Does it make sense to you now? Does the smilie mean it's OK to laugh at you?

Really, I have no idea what your point is or what it is that you are trying to convey.
  15. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    Like I said earlier. Decreased contact patch in the corners is a common misconception. Look at my video. At around the 2:10 mark I scrape a peg. There is more car tire in contact with the road than there would be if it were an MC tire.

Here's the bottom line - I don't care if you or anyone else tries a car tire. When discussions like this ensue, it quickly becomes obvious that the average motorcyclist is too timid to think for themselves or to try something new. And, that is fine. Ride with what you are comfortable.

But, unless you have something real to go on - don't insult those who are willing to think for themselves and willing to give something new a try.
    nk14zp likes this.
  16. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    The ignorance runs deep with you. Do you practice it? Or does it come naturally?

Such a scathing zinger. Really, kudos to you. And, incorporating "dumbsider" into the your two sentences? Nicely done.

Honest question. On what authority do you posit that a car tire cripples my bike's handling? Real world experience? Or unsubstantiated assumptions?
  17. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I believe he is a dumbmouther. :D
  18. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunlop, Michelin, Avon, Perelli, et. all. :deal

If the design of a car tire were suitable for motorcycles then motorcycle tires would look like, and be manufactured the same as, car tires (and at one time they used to be...then engineers and chemists got smart about how to make better tires that are differentiated to suit specific needs).
    Phipsd likes this.
  19. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    come on now, you know very well that crazy hillbillies with 4th grade educations know more about tires than tire engineers that work for billion dollar tire companies. are you stupid or what? :rofl
  20. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm using a 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire. 38 psi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]