Car Tires Really

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 31, 2013.

1. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Who wants a Miata ride?!

Oddometer:
    Unsubstantiated, blatant, ignorance - this guy has it.
  2. drrider1

drrider1 just running amuck

Oddometer:
    never ran a CT, but followed a couple of friends who do. Both ride cruiser type bikes, both ride more aggressively than I would on that type bike; I was amazed at how much rubber was on the road as they eroded vast areas of their floor boards and other chrome parts. Both report 35k plus miles on a tire.
  3. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol that road worker sure is amazed that someone would drive a huge old 1950's Cadillac in the mud.
  4. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he was amazed that someone would ride a Victory Vision on the Dalton Highway.

[​IMG]
  5. Bstrom06

Bstrom06 Should be "Bstrom15"

Oddometer:
    Many like me are just never going to be convinced of using a CT over a motorcycle tire, but do whatever flips your switch and save you lots of money.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even a 5th grader is smart enough to figure out what the engineers get paid the big bucks for... A single track vehicle that leans to turn performs far better when it is NOT operating on a flat surfaced tire.

Rudimentary common sense stuff. If you are unable to grasp simple truth then yes... "Dumb" (lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted) is a fair description. If you choose to take it as an insult that is on you. :D
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the King of ignorance.:rofl Well played. :clap

Please share why YOU think the builder of your cruiser didn't equip your bike with a car tire from the get go. :ear

And then please share that if it is such a fine performing idea then why don't you run a CT on the front as well?

You're only half dumb? :jjen
  8. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    as a matter of fact for my street bikes I always used a soft compound tire
    and didn't let $ dictate safety for My type of riding

but it wasn't a cruiser so maybe this thread needed to be bike style specific ?
  9. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    ig·no·rance
    ˈignərəns/
    noun
    noun: ignorance
    lack of knowledge or information.
    "he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
    <table class="vk_tbl vk_gy"><tbody><tr><td class="lr_dct_nyms_ttl" style="padding-right:3px">synonyms:</td><td>incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about; informalcluelessness about
    "a statement that shows a complete ignorance of the regulations"

lack of knowledge, lack of education, unenlightenment, illiteracy;
    lack of intelligence, stupidity, foolishness, idiocy
    "both ignorance and poverty contribute to the growing problem of forced child labor"

</td></tr></tbody></table>
  10. gstevenson

gstevenson n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the same experience. I ride 2 up a lot of the time on a GL1800 touring bike. We had a couple of standard Motorcycle tires delaminate and one go flat due to a valve issue...leaving us on the side of the highway. Reading up on many many riders' experience, and only one or two who said they didn't like it and came back made me curious. Over 1000 who took the time to register their conversion...and none reporting an issue made me feel safe with the choice. After all, I personally had 2 regular tires fail. Obviously I can't count the valve failure against the mc tire, but switching to a run flat car tire helps that situation too.

Anyway, I went with a Michelin Alpin PA3. It is a big improvement. No noticeable difference in handling. The same or better traction in all conditions. Better in wet or gravel. And the tires last much longer. What is not to like?

I do think it matters which ct you go to though. Some probably don't handle the same as a motorcycle tire.

I have let a few skeptics try my bike. Of the three individuals, one said he noticed a need for a bit more push in steering, but I wonder if he would have noticed that if he wasn't fully concentrating on looking for differences. Hard to say. The other two...both skeptics...said there was no difference and one was a trainer trying it out in controlled parking lot manoeuvres trying to find limits in turns etc. Hey, you can't lean past metal scraping.

I won't be going back unless and until there is a better motorcycle tire out there. I just don't believe manufacturers have put the same effort into mc tires that they have into car tires. It's not a religion with me nor is about saving money. I am just going to go with the best for safety and for handling.
    Jud likes this.
  11. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For cruisers or motorized couches like Goldwing it could work. They can't really corner hard anyway. And in case of a crash the possible problem with insurance is good to keep in mind (at least in the EU, though the Land of the Free might be different).
  12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Well, that was a glimmer of honesty from a car tire guy. The problem with your statement is this. It's not "no problem at all." You're giving a perfect description of a bike that handles like crap due to a squared-off rear tire. You say I've never tried a car tire. That's true, but I've tried a squared off rear and I don't like it. I don't like it because the bike handles like crap. It's hard to turn, then you have to continuously apply pressure to keep it turning.

The car tire guys woudl have a little credibility if they were to say, "Sure it handles like ass, but I spend most of my time on the interstate so it's no big deal." That's a legitimate stance on the issue. But they can't do that. Instead we're treated to wild tales of tearing up the Dragon, passing sportbikes, and generally being awesome. Sorry, it invites a little ridicule.
    lipsee and Phipsd like this.
  13. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you not have any idea how frickin stupid you appear?
    Seriously.... How many times have you been pulled aside and slapped upside the head?
  14. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Bravo! :clap
  15. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Again! :clap :freaky
  16. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :nortonRudimentary common sense is not to listen to someone who speaks about something of which they have no knowledge.

If you choose to take that as an insult, you're smarter than you sound.:D
  17. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Abbott had Costello...
    Dean had Jerry...
    Moe had Larry...

Dakez has OCF
    (sounds like some kind of disorder doesn't it:lol3)
  18. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on now,it is a C O N S P I R A C Y!!!!!!!! They do not want the secret out that a car tire handles better than a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle. Soon black silent helicopters will show up at their homes and they will disappear along with these threads that reveal the secret about car tires.

[​IMG]
    Flynn_ likes this.
  19. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't sell tires so I really don't care what others use.

Since I started using a Dunlop Winter Sport I have traveled 34,000 miles and based on that experience my next tire will be another Winter Sport.

What I like most about the tire is the wet weather traction, I would buy this tire even if it cost twice as much as a "motorcycle" tire.

With the Winter Sport I have traveled from Milwaukee to Key West, FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK (rain every day!) and also that year a ride around Lake Michigan and a trip to Spirit Lake, IA.

This year I rode to Mount Evens, Death Valley, a ride through Independence Pass and then Peaks Peak and then the next month a ride to Nova Scotia and a ride around the Cabot Trail.
    That trip also included a few stops at Prince Edwards Island and Acadia N. P.
    The next month I did a 1000 mile one day ride around Wisconsin.

A lot of different road and weather conditions and again based on that experience my next tire will be a Winter Sport.

20. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Quotes please :deal