Car Tires Really

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    snow tires handle like shit on a car, I can only imagine how shitty they make a bike handle let alone the crippling effect of the flat profile of the car tire. I guess when you can't ride worth a shit you do not notice the crippling effects of the car tire or even worse the snow car tire. All those sipes and deep tread means lots and lots of squirming. :rofl

Some people think it is a good idea to eat lead paint chips
    Some people think it is a good idea to jump off a bridge because they may be able to fly if they flap their arms hard enough
    Some people think it is a good idea to pour gas all over themselves and light a match in the name of their crazy religion
    Some people think car tires work great on motorcycles
    Some people think it is ok to smoke while they hack up phlem and cough all the time
    Some people wonder if it is a good idea to eat broken glass
    Some people think it is okay to eat fast food every day, weigh 300lbs and that it is healthy while they sweat and breathe hard walking to the kitchen
    Some people think it steals their soul if someone takes a photo of them
    Some people think the government is out to get them

All the above people are about equal on the dumb scale and no amount of logical reasoning will convince them otherwise so you may as well have fun with it and laugh at their stupidity. :lol3
  2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    "Instead we're treated to wild tales of tearing up the Dragon, passing sportbikes, and generally being awesome ..."

Anything else I can help you with?
  3. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow...:huh

I'm not even in the Darkside camp and I can't understand why you're taking it so personnal that you're blowing a fuse talking about it.

Need medication?

What's so difference between "All those sipes and deep tread" of a winter tire and a, let's say, a bike tire like the TKC?
  4. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    :freaky
    The CT guy's are the ones who sound like idiots here. Plain & simple.
    You CT guy's will say....."you're afraid of thing something new". I'll say..........."BULLSHIT"! Back when I started road-racing my '74 Ducati 750 Sport, it came with leading axle forks. Being 18, I thought....hmmm, if I shorten up the wheelbase by turning the fork legs around I should be able to turn in quicker. I tried it, handled like shit, put it back and thought.......if it was going to be so much better, why didn't Ducati put them like that in the first place? But them I tried 2" longer shocks, with much better results. Why didn't Ducati do that I thought.
    Almost 40 years later, I'm not afraid to try something new, if it makes sense. A CT on a bike DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. For you guy's to say it turns just fine with the CT makes you sound like a retard. It can't, won't and will never handle as well as with a bike tire. Christ, when I bought the used ZRX that I have now, when I took it for the first short test ride before handing over the $$$$, I thought the steering head bearings were shot the thing felt soooo bad. Reason, square rear tire, as in flat in the middle, sort of like a..........................................CAR TIRE. Front tire was fine. Put on a set of Michelin 2 CT's (not as in car tire), without changing anything else, and the bike was as it should be.
    If all you're doing is IBA stuff and piling up thousands of highway miles, maybe a CT makes sense, but for people doing "real world" riding, a CT makes ZERO sense. Just like the "it handles like any other bike" makes zero sense.

CW
  5. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    lmao, these car tire threads are more entertaining than going to a comedy club. :lol3
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can understand the good mileage on a cruiser or a 'Wing, ridden mostly on straight roads, and cornering in a relaxed way. Sure the big, heavy tourers eat up tyres, and a MC tyre's round profile makes it very hard to build long lasting tyres.

but the claim that a CT will match any sportier tyre on a bike, that's able to corner more aggressively, is plain ridiculous. I'd like to see someone try that comparo with the same bike, ridden by an advanced rider.
  7. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    who the fuck are you arguing with?
    You big ole bad motorcycle guru you...

Don't break your Prozac in half next time...
    :rofl
  8. air-cooled

air-cooled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Luckily Germans take their tires seriously. Luckily they do test tires on cars and surprisingly snow this are no good above 10C. They are really bad when there tread is Half way gone in warmer temperatures increasing brake distance till double the distance. This has been measured in a Country where cars and tires are taking serieus.
    Cornering. In lean a CT has the same radius on the inside as on the outside of the contract patch causing it to wring. This opposite to the MT.
    CT is made for lateral movement while the bike is leaving over causing forces in line with the bike also in lean the MC tire is made to cope with that.

I do understand that a cruiser on long trips on straight roads will do fine.
    But it takes some knowledge and self judgement to admit that a CT works fine for you but for that you give up safety and performance for money savings.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
  9. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:

you can not reason with idiots but just for the sake of keeping this hilarious thread going here are some well known facts about winter tires and tread squirm on CARS. I can only imagine how horrible the squirm is on a bike lmao.

Most dedicated snow tires are manufactured with much more tread depth than an all-season tire to allow additional room for snow to pack in for the best traction. When temperatures are in the 50s (Fahrenheit) and warmer, the "taller" tread blocks will tend to have much more movement at higher speeds and will make the tire "squirm" and feel slow when reacting to steering input. In addition, the specialized rubber compounds that help a dedicated snow tire grip in cold temperatures becomes much softer in the warmer temperatures and will further contribute to tread squirm while affecting its durability. - See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-...me-to-install-snow-tires#sthash.vuV2X1e5.dpuf

TREAD SQUIRM

Definition: The flexibility in the tire tread between the surface of the tread and the tire carcass. Snow tires, with their small, deep, unsupported tread blocks, have a large amount of tread squirm. Slick racing tires, which have no tread pattern, have very little squirm.

New winter tires begin with deeper tread depths and more open tread designs than the tires used during the rest of the year. While the extra tread depth allows new snow tires to provide more traction in deep snow, it also contributes to more tread squirm and drivers may notice a reduction in handling responsiveness. - See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-...inter-snow-tires-is-here#sthash.RP2TfTOd.dpuf
  10. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I was being sarcastic , Einstein.:evil
  11. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really???

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0nrMQ3QwyPo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hah,

Boss Hoss bikes came with a car tire as OE for years, in your face dude.......:thwak

3........2........1.........:hide.........:lol3
  13. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Car tires wear longer than motorcycle tires.

Car tires grip better in mud and snow than motorcycle tires.

Tractor tires wear longer than car tires.

Tractor tires grip better in mud and snow than car tires.

That seals it. I'm putting these on my motorcycle.

[​IMG]
  14. Bstrom06

Bstrom06 Should be "Bstrom15"

Oddometer:
    Now that there is funny, and I would like to see that too!!!
  15. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!!

Oddometer:
    Make sure you get tractor tires that are at least rated for highway speeds...if you decide to use your bike on pavement. (BTW which tractor tires are good for 50,000 miles?)
  16. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here -

[​IMG]
  17. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Who wants a Miata ride?!

Oddometer:
    I don't know why I'm bothering. You've clearly made up your mind. Yes, I used to have the opinion that a car tire would not work on a motorcycle. I had the same narrow view as you. But, I got so sick of those car tire guys acting all superior and spouting off things like, "how can you know how it handles if you don't try it?". I decided that I would try it and I would prove the car tire guys wrong. So I tried it - and what do ya know? The bike handles just fine.

Yes, if the car tire were perfectly flay and perfectly rigid, the handling would be affected. But, it does have raduised corners and it is rubber. It is pliable. It flexes in the corners.

I couldn't agree with this statement more:
    If you are unable to grasp simple truth then yes... "Dumb" (lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted) is a fair description.

Except, my truth is based on my own experiences. Yours is based on your unfounded opinions.

King of ignorance? Do you know what that word means? An inmate was kind enough to put a definition up there if you want to read it. Who is more ignorant? Someone who takes the time to experiment and seek the truth? Or someone who is convinced that they are right with nothing to back it up on?

Motorcycle manufacturers will never put car tires on a cycle in the factory because of you, Dakez. There is no money in it if closed minded individuals pass on a bike based on which tire is on it. Darksiders are not going to pass on a motorcycle if it has a MC tire on the show room floor. People like you would pass on it if it had a car tire.Simple economics - can you grasp it?

People have tried car tires on the back and claim it works well. I've tried it and agree. People have tried car tires on the front and claim it doesn't work well. Without a single person claiming it works despite people trying it, why would i?

Look, I can tell you are not interested in actually debating this topic. If you have any actual questions I'd be happy to answer them. If you are just looking to cast insults and ask ridiculous questions, I'll just put you back on ignore.
    Jud likes this.
  18. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    That's YellowWolf. He's run the tail of the dragon on a wing with a car tire. I wish I could find the article, but he was quite impressed with how the car tire handled.
  20. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's all you have to go on is your imagination.

So, what's your dog in this fight? You think car tires are dumb and are not going to try them. That's great. To each his own - what the point of your mindless blatherings? Trying to save us from ourselves? Fighting the good fight? Just trolling?