Car Tires Really

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Didn't Fred already side step that question ? :lol3
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  2. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I went into quite a lot of detail with my insurance regarding kite surfing and my motorcycle as well as transporting my surfboard because he found it all very interesting.

I can understand that you don't get it, but a surfboard on the side of a motorcycle is not going to get you blown off the road in side winds if it is mounted correctly.
    My 6ft 4in surfboard actually adds less to the profile of my bike than a passenger would, or a top case of decent size.
    Another weeee little difference is that how my board is mounted is TO VEHICLE CODE.....
    Mounting a Car tire to a motorcycle does not conform to DOT regulations.

There is also another weeeeee little detail you ignore....... I very much doubt that a young brain surgeon would be walking around with his pretty wife and adorable little children in the type of wind that would
    cause my bike yo blow off the road.

Car tire on a motorcycle in the snow and ice........ probably not a problem at least with young brain surgeons because they are likely to be in St Moritz or something......

[​IMG]
  3. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. It's not a problem because it is to California Vehicle code and see the photo above. If it were a fucking problem then just about every motorcycle with full fairings would be a problem.
  4. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    The infamous Vetter surfboard fairings
  5. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how you claim there are thousands and thousands of bikers running car tires and then go and say that there is not a market......
    Tire companies make plenty of niche products.
  6. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    And again.

It would be quicker to just say no.
  7. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fred, don't matter how its mounted, thw wind can even blow semi trucks off the road, the brain surgeon was not walking with his wife and 3 children, they were at home when you decapitated him, his family had an expectation of income that you will be responsible for, for riding in adverse conditions, negligence has the same consequences whether of not you have equipment that meets code

ever heard the story of OJ Simpson
  8. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you're saying that you've done your research and determined that the risks involved in hauling a surfboard are minimal?

Can you believe that people have the audacity to claim it's unsafe without actual experience?!? Who the fuck do they think they are?!
    dustin2 and Jud like this.
  9. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dic

Bada Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!:photog:lol3:imaposer:jack

Ya'll on a roll tonight. :clap

Fred's rear is gonna be some kinda sore. I swear I can't understand the weird ass infatuation some have with this issue. Again, I used to think it was nuts. I then saw several doing it successfully and I rode with them. Still though it must really suck but since I saw it with my own eyes and saw how fast some dude on a Wing could hustle that 800lb turd around on a CT I started admitting to myself it works on some bikes at least. Figured on some Valkyrie or Wing that can't lean far before dragging shit, fine. Still figured that it would absolutely suck on anything else. Then I tried it on my DL650. Considering where I ride, how I ride and the conditions I ride,,,,,,,,, I honestly think it's a very viable option for most DL650 rider consider how most of them ride {I know, I've rode with a shit ton of em}. It honestly surprised me with how well it worked. But in the end, I ride too much fairly rough off tarmac shit and CTs don't work good in that application. If and when my Tenere gets retired to long distance and two up stuff, I will probably try a CT. Till then,,,,,, it's Shinko 804/805s and yea baby, Shinko while not as deadly as CTs,,,,,,, they still maim their fair share of kittens and have been known to kill a nun or two or three. Not nasty enough to light the atmosphere afire though, that's strictly for Freddie the Fucktard, The Bullshitter:pope:topes, Pussy Boy:baby} and the Darkside brigade! :dllama:
  10. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what is your point?????

Edit. If your talking about trying a bike with a cat tire on it ... I have. It handled like shit. Needed to be shoved into each turn. Made a worn out MT with a wide flat spot seen like a luxury. Owner claimed it was just fine.

Products also come from development experience, and by qualified people. In motorcycle tires that led to a constant move away from square profiles, but darksiders know better.
    CaseyJones likes this.
  11. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    I can't tell if you're that fucking stupid or willfully obtuse. If you can't draw a parallel and understand my point, I don't know that I have small enough words to help you out.
    Jud likes this.
  12. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I supposed to be impressed with your infinite superiority?
  13. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    Quoted for posterity.
  14. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    If you really didn't understand what I was getting at in my post, I suspect you haven't the capacity to be adequately impressed.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it is more you're being a badgering anus who has no actual experience, who can't seem to make everyone quit doing what you don't approve.

If you do it, it's fine.

That's what I think it is.

Doesn't upset me though, I recognize that you are like Joan Crawford - Mommy Dearest... just substitute "car tires" for "wire coat hangers" and you got it!

Pardon the double quote, but...

I'm betting the DOT will also say running the CT is legal too. Otherwise they couldn't be used on sidecars and the trikes/reverse trikes. All are considered motorcycles under the laws and I doubt there is anything dealing with them. Especially the trikes and some sidecars, because some use a mix with a bike tire on the front or on the side car. We have a conundrum here. I'm betting, but not going to do the research, that the only law is that the tire be DOT approved, nothing else. The actual sidewall label is for consumer knowledge.

This is not to say that there is no difference in the ct/mt designs, just that the DOT isn't micromanaging. Just not economically sensible.

Fred, you're still it!
    Jud, Florida Lime and dustin2 like this.
  16. Road Hound

Road Hound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Real reason people run car tires on their motorcycle.........

It eliminates those embarrassing 2.5" wide Chicken Strips.:y0!
  17. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran a run flat khumo on my 10' Goldwing, for me it was all about the run flat capability. The ONLY reason I ran a ct on the back.
  18. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    BTW, you can run any tire while it's flat, just how much risk you're willing to take with it... heck even ride on the rim if you want.

Just because it is marketed to run flat, doesn't mean it is meant to save your behind every time you get a flat.

Have a "run flat" designation on the tire, just means they can charge you more for it.
  19. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be argumentative but I think run flats usually have stiffer sidewalls and a tighter fit to the rim and honestly would pay more for a runflat if I were doing a huge trip especially where getting a replacement would be a PITA. I have seen runflats run with zero pressure on a car on purpose to see how they faired and they did pretty well. I have seen them after being driven for quite a few miles after completely flat, popped a plug in it, pumped it up and never replaced it. I doubt that would work out like that with a regular tire on a car. I have also seen runflats being run while flat {on purpose just to see what it's like} on a bike and it's nothing like running a regular CT while flat. I have no doubt you could run a runflat on the back of a bike for many, many miles if not hundreds of miles without any real issue. In contrast, I let all the air outta the CT I tried on my DL650 to see if you could use it as a runflat. I was hoping the much stiffer construction would work as a runflat when run at a much lesser loading, it was prolly better than a MT in that situation and would easily get you to the side of the road safely and it might even stay on the bead for a few miles to get you to a shop or something but you will be going a lot slower. Better than a MT for sure but not as good as a runflat CT.

Like you eluded to, I have run flat rear MTs for miles on a couple of occasions but again, it was sketchy as hell and I was constantly worried about losing the bead. The down side to running runflats on cars or bikes for that matter is that they are heavier than normal tires and you lose out in performance oriented aspects like handling and grip. On a loaded up DL650 or Tenere going on a huge trip,,,,, that's not a biggie considering the added tire wear life, more robust construction to road hazards and even if it did go flat due to a huge cut, you could can still ride it almost as normal. On Vette or some performance car that you will be open tracking at Road Atlanta, a runflat, even the performance oriented runflats would be a terrible choice.
  20. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Next tire to go on the back of my Wing dunlop.jpg 195/55-16 has WAY more grip than a m/t, Dunlop Elite 4 on the front.