Car Tires Really

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 31, 2013.

1. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    when I experimented with the darkside, I asked the guys at the tire store where I purchased my General Altimax Arctic what they thought of run flats, there response was to not run them unless you have a tire pressure monitoring system, cause without one, you won't know when the tire is soft or flat
    Jud and Jarlaxle like this.
  2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    There ARE thousands of darksiders...but as compared to the MC tire market overall, there aren't that many. (I saw one today, in fact...dude from Florida running a Goodyear Assurance on a Goldwing.)
  3. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A brief intermission here.
    I sometimes do so enjoy seeing the debate continue, but sometimes annoyed by some of the rather unnecessary,
    harsh, demeaning responses... Guess it is a thing of passion. Sometimes it is not so much a matter of who wins
    an argument, but that an idea is brought out into the open. There, it is picked apart to show the flaws, but also
    reveals what is good and beneficial. And it does more often than not, make one consider things that they hadn't
    thought much about before. Which is a good thing and seems to be a vehicle for change and improvements
    to take place. After all, most of us have moved on from the horse and buggy. Even I have learned some
    things I didn't know before or had the wrong ideas about and not ashamed to admit being wrong about some of
    those things. It used to be (well, seemed like it to me) that there weren't many defending the darksiding idea.
    Not much info in any one place, so I gathered a store of info from various places for my own use at first and now
    sharing it. Kind of a lonely place trying to get people to consider the idea of using a car tire on a scooter. Many
    do now though but it is still an idea that gets its share of stones and arrows so to speak.

So much to say, so little space and time here to say it all, so I have been making a practice of pointing to this link here:
    http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/...s-the-darkside-according-to-bandito2-part-1-2

Though its original intent was mostly for maxi-scooter riders, much of it applies to motorcycles as well. It will
    eventually need updating. The idea of non-inflatable tires and other concept tires and wheels is given very
    brief note. They are still not mainstream so much, (yet) so not much coverage is given. I need to see and read more
    about the run-flat tires. I do wish they came in sizes that I could use on my maxi-scooters so I could experiment.
    The gyroscopic effects and more about how a taller tire may affect clutches and the drive line in general for
    example are some areas where more info gathering is needed.

OK, so the conversation can continue now... as you were gents.:turkish
    Jarlaxle and WDG like this.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I don't know what text editor or device you are using, but its formatting process really breaks up the content. Makes it hard to read and follow. Just sayin' you could see what is going on. I start reading, but it's so broken up I usually don't finish. I don't know if others do that or not.
  5. bandito2

Oddometer:
    It may have to do with how your device formats it in your display but I did an edit and purposefully shortened the lines again and maybe needed to do them that way the first time. Not like this line which I have not shortened and let it run continuously across the page with no end of line. In other words, I did not hit enter to force the cursor to go down to begin typing a new line. If I do but too far for your display/browser/ whatever, your display will force an end of line and then will end up with another short line that happens because it ends where I hit enter to force my cursor down to start the next line of text.

I shorten lines because I think it is harder to read waaaaay across a page and to try to be sure the eyes
    land on the correct starting point for reading the next line like I have done with these lines here. It is easier
    because there is no need to move ones head to read the lines, just the eyes. Most of my posts don't end
    up broken as you say because I have made sure the text lines are not too long. That can't be done when
    one is posting links though because pushing part of a link down to the next line by hitting enter causes the
    link text to end at the point where enter was typed as far as your device sees it.
  6. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's it I think. Markk53's quote of your post is formatted differently from your original post.

I have no problem reading either the original post of the long lines in the quote.
  7. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I'm seeing what you're seeing. His formatting looks good for me and I checked it both on my laptop and my mobile; maybe there's an issue on your end somehow. Strange.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    This time it is virtually perfect, 2 paragraphs. No line breaks like the other. It would break mid-sentence. First time I've seen that other than when someone, myself included cuts and pastes from some other document. Sometimes that will cause unusual breaks. I'm using Firefox as a browser.

I just went back, either you corrected it or it has corrected in the browser.

Next time check and see if your text editing has "word wrap". I know notepad has it, as does the Notepad++ I use for web design. If you're getting long strings of text, look for a "word wrap" function. Even the long strings will wrap in most browsers.
  9. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow your really rambling.... what the hell does OJ Simpson have to do with it... and he got off right.....
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    Every one knows how OJ applies...

If Randy gets a ticket he just goes to court and presents the evidence "If the tire fits you must acquit!" NOT GUILTY! :imaposer
    sixspeed, Strong Bad and klaviator like this.
  11. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to darksiding....motorcycle/scooter tires on the rear of motorcycles/scooters do not last that long. Since I prefer riding to working on either and prefer burning what money I have either in gas going somewhere or on stuff that has a long life, I am going "dark" on the avatar using the same brand that fits Burgman 400. For better or worse. Maybe some of these tire manufacturers will get off their duffs and MAKE a steel belt radial that FITS a motorcycle/scooter type of wheel. Just change the bead mold on an auto tire that is popular with the two-wheel cruisers and peddle it!
  12. bandito2

Oddometer:
    There are some radial tires for motorcycles...but not many, nor are
    there any that I am aware of that would fit scooter size wheels.
    And the radial tires that there are for motorcycles are not quite
    like car tires. If they did make them more like car tires, then they
    would look, perform and handle more like how car tires work on
    bikes. And THAT, how they handle, is the main thing that MC tire
    purists have issue with. And the MC tire purist ire with darksiders
    being "cheap" is just rhetorical BS and is not really why many, if
    not most darksiders do what they do when opting to use a car
    tire on the rear of their bikes.
  13. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The main reason I am even considering a car tire on my scoot is I AM SICK AND TIRED (!) OF CHANGING TIRES EVERY SIX MONTHS! And it is way cheaper!
    Cat0020 likes this.
  14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, cause they have no experience with how they handle.

They also love to froth and rant about make believe legal liability and denied insurance claims.
    CROSSBOLT and Valker like this.
  15. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Um...no, not really.

Honda Goldwings have come equipped with standard radial tires for nearly twenty years. The Bridgestone OEM rear tire on my '16 would really be the only MT I'd put back on that rim, but in the 7000 miles I put on that tire, it had well over 2/3'rds of it's life expended.

Not only is it handling, but it's also the corresponding suspension the bike has under it. I'd say many riders would not be able to tell a sagged-out suspension from a properly setup suspension. Especially on a Hondapotamus. So, for them to tell me "it rides wonky" means their brain-ass calibration factor is pretty useless. As it's delivered, the suspension on a bike like that barely holds itself up, much less with one or two Goldwing-sized adults on-board.
  16. bandito2

Oddometer:
    Well, OK. Maybe not the main reason, but they sure do go on and on about it anyway.

They also rant relentlessly about how the rim and tire bead are "not compatible"... Odd,
    but most times the tires do go on and don't leak nor come off the rim. And I've not heard
    anything about tires coming off the rim... rather more complaints about how hard it is to
    get it on and seated in the first place. But even MC tires can be difficult to mount for some.
    So yeah, you're right... they rant about something that they don't have actual experience
    with.
    CROSSBOLT, foxtrapper and Jabcon2 like this.