Car tyres to fit 17" motorcycle wheels

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by Agent Wayward, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Slight delay on the photo of the 175/55 Achilles on the stock GSA rim. Dealing with a bit of wind blown snow at the moment. I shoveled a path to the garage door, then the snow on the roof let go and buried it again. 6 degrees and 30mph winds. I give up till morning when things settle down a bit. On the bright side, the dogs are loving it!
  2. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    Here's my 205/50/17 G-Max on my dl1000. 6000 miles in and no issues. .05" tread wear so far. Plenty o grip.

Attached Files:

3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Did you take that pic' on a dark night without a flash, 'cause I don't see anything?

Here's Rick001's GS', while he visited here, with a 175/55 Achilles.

[​IMG]
  4. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Some shots of the Achilles 175/55/17 on a stock rim of my 2010 R1200 GS Adventure. I determined the tire pressure by inflating high, then running thru a wet spot on the pavement and checking out the track on the dry pavement past the wet spot. At first I didn't see the full width of the print, so kept letting air out and repeating till I got a footprint showing the full width of tread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a tight fit, but it does clear the swingarm by about a centimeter.
    [​IMG]
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

I can see this picture in brianjonesphoto's post
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Can you now?
    I like that technique. Did you end up with less than 30 lbs cold? Because that would not surprise me.
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aw, now what the hell happened there? I could see it in my post right after I posted, but now I can't. Let's try this again...

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 9.58.29 PM.png
  8. Boondox

Oddometer:
    I started at 36 and ended up at 32psi. Got the puddle idea after reading another post where someone suggested monitoring the wear pattern; if you see the center wearing early reduce the pressure. I figured there must be a way of determining that without waiting for wear. It seems to work pretty well, though winter snows came early so I haven't put many miles on yet.
    AZbiker likes this.
  9. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels. Supporter

Oddometer:

DRONE,

Is the same size wheel on the back of the 1150 GSA rig that I'm buying?
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Yes. The R1200GSA (not including the 2013 and later water-cooled versions) and the R1150GSA both have a 17" rear wheel that's 4" wide. If you want to use the same size Achilles as Boondox, you can.
  11. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  12. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

That's the same tire I have as well (I believe that would be the same size - but the bike is WAY downstairs right now...); the tread is great for road use, not so great in heavy rain, but does ok (and it's not like you'll fall over ;) ), but is pretty crap on loose stuff. If you're moving dirt and gravel roads (like park access roads, construction sections and such are fine) but if you stop somewhere soft it can be tricky getting started. Of course we are trying to start a lot more weight than you'll be moving.
  13. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am assuming you are running that tire on the stock LT rim. Are you having to use any spacers so it fits without rubbing on the K1200LT?
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is correct. I am running 8mm of spacer (a stock 2mm spacer and a solid aluminum 6mm; idea being if I need to go back to stock tire on the road, I'll have the right spacer - though after six months on the road it occurred to me a couple of days ago that the 60mm lug bolts I am running will probalby not work with that - stock is 55mm). I tried 2, 4, and 6 as well. 2mm you can't even properly tighten the bolts, 4mm will bolt but not turn and 6mm will turn but with resistance. 8mm rubs the swingarm just a bit and has lightly rubbed the inner fender just a touch - closing in on 20,000 miles on this setup.
  15. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Pretty simple solution for that scenario.
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

Run the spacer anyway was what I settled on - though it's actually possible we have the 55mm lug bolts in one of the two "parts" baggies we're hauling all over the country. :)
  17. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Did you make your own spacers? Sounds like 7 mm would not be enough and 9 too much. Any photos available?

Where did you find the 60 mm lug bolts?

Am looking to try the Achilles tire on my 1999 K12LT rig. Thank you for sharing your experience.
  18. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

#4.

Part # 36 31 2 333 226 WHEEL BOLT - M12X1,5X60

[​IMG]
  19. CCjon

Oddometer:
    Thank you Bear
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the 6mm spacer made at a local (Portland) machine shop. It was expensive for what it was, but @DRONE has had them made for much cheaper. I can't find the name of the online place he recommended, but I bet he'll chime in.

There is far more room on the left side than the right, so you might be able to get away with 9mm. The day I put that tire on for the first time there happened to be a few other BMWs around and I "borrowed" spacers from them until it worked ;) ...I didn't try going any thicker.

I took this pic (looking into the fender from the rear) a few weeks ago - that's after about 13,000 or so of use - maybe a little more - with a heavy load (about 1000lbs on the rear wheel).

[​IMG]
    Bobmws likes this.