Carbon Fiber/ Kevlar luggage bags.......

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Dec 28, 2010.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soooooooooooo....... Next on the table is a set of luggage bags made in a Carbon/kevlar combo. Thing is..... I`ve never owned a set of hard bags..... All of my luggage have been soft.... And worked great. But.... Next to my DRZ carbon fiber fuel tank...this is a project I wanted to do for a while. I have some areas I thought needed attention..... And to be able to draw upon the awesome collective here...... is just that..... Awesome.
    Here it goes......
    If you could make anything.....any shape......opening mechanism....Shelves...... Anything...... How would your perfect luggage set be???????????? Size......????? Aerodynamics?????? etc....... Help me out here. I would like the opportunity to listen to you .....then build a set.
    A whole lot of you guys have a world....literally.... of experience with`em.....
    Whadayawannasee.......:ear:ear

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  2. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    :lurk:clap
  3. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    I had givi luggage on my sport bike. It looks nice with its rounded corners.
    The problem is with its rounded corners, the overall shape makes it so that there is a lot of dead space when you pack all your stuff. So all of the advertised 36 liters of space isn't used. With this in mind, I'd say a rectangular shape is better because you can fit more stuff.

I definitely want to see pics of your bags! :freaky
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good thing to keep in mind....... Thanks......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Since carbon is so light compared to aluminum, you could make rectangular bags for easy packing and add a separate rounded unit that would attach to the front of each bag for aerodynamics. Since it would be towards the center of the bike, the curved piece would be a good spot for carrying heavy stuff like tools & tubes, or water in Platypus bags. Or, with the proper fittings and such, a water or fuel tank.

Since you're working in a medium that facilitates rounded corners, I'd choose the look of the Jesse Safaris. I also think that losing the sharp corners might give your leg a better chance if it ends up under the bag.

A carbon fuel tank would be awesome on my DR-Z :D
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a great idea...... Perhaps two compartments...... One rectangular main compartment...... Then a front rounded one.....that would carry a say 1 gallon aux gas can....( made from CF as well)....then the other side could carry tools...... or another gas can:clap.
    It seems like round edges/corners are the ticket......the composites will be easier to conform as well. It should be very lightweight as well. I expect each bag to weigh in at between 2-4 pounds...... Depending on how I make`em....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  7. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    remember that gas containers have to expand and contract, so the CF gas container will have to do that too, or constantly vent, like the gas tanks on bikes.

i'm not an expert on gas containers, so i may be wrong, but i'll throw that out there.

as far as storing heavy stuff like tools, could you make some luggage to put towards the front of the bike, like on a bash plate:
    [​IMG]

I saw a ktm with panniers near the foot rests. Just a thought.....
  8. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    I don't think shape makes too much of a difference with cases when it comes to aerodynamic loading. Its more the size, and specifically for the case you're addressing, the width.

A smallish radius on the corners will make it easier to manufacture and will provide additional strength in a similar way to many of the chamfered hard cases out there. That will in theory clean up the flow more than just a right angle, but in reality you wouldn't notice a difference on an all-else-equal basis, since the flow is so dirty by the time it gets back there. Anything more--for the sake of aerodynamics, anyway, is pretty overkill.
  9. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    The most important is the bottom corners... If the bike is on its side - this mostly done at low speeds... build the bottom corners on an angle to distribute the load....
    My sleeping F650gs Dakar..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the new TouraTechs Zega Pros look the best on the GS. Givi and Jessie Safaris dot fit the angular styling of the bike....

[​IMG]
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it would house a gas container....it`d off course need to be vented....Some how.... That would be easy to do..... I really like the idea of incorporating the gas tank..... even if it is only on one side. I have done a few enduro trips now...... carrying a 1 gallon tank on top of the rack.....and it`s a poor man`s solution.

Erling
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting.....and duly noted..... The bottom will have plenty of kevlar in it...... And that stuff is impossible......almost.... to go through...., even at 60mph on asphalt...... That said.....your suggestion made me think about the mounts......They would be the weak areas here.....not the case. They would not just need to carry the bag`s weight..... But the whole bike on impact.... when napping.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, this one sounds exciting!

My $.02:

Make them top loading... My BMW side loading bags are a PITA.
    Also, some level of waterproofness is always desired.
    Having tie-down points on top allow for added stowage.
    regarding the mounts: making them attractive when bags not installed is cool... if possible.

Rock on!
  13. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    A nice top opening rectangle that fits as close to the bike as possible. Build a mount for a Rotopax fuel canister. Or mold in some loops for some 2L fuel bottles or oil containers. A separate easily accessed compartment for tools, preferably low and forward. If that is a pain then maybe a divider that lets you get to your tools fast from the top access. The divider would also strengthen the bag. Mold in some cool slots for tire irons. Maybe the lids remove and can be turned into a chair! I've followed your other threads and can't wait to see where this one goes.
  14. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    here's another thing, do you want the mounts to be super-strong or break-away?
    if they are very strong, they may transmit all the energy from impact to the subframe of the bike.......something to think about.....
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D....Early on in the planning stage, I was thinking about the side load.....possible both side and top...... But dished the side part.....Mostly because the benifit were outweighed by the disadvantages..... like a very flexible waterproof seal...... So it looks like top loading it will be.
    Tie down`s are a great idea......... The bags will mount on to my existing 3/8 inch SS rail. But it can of course be made to fit any rail/mounts.
    Ohhhhhh....ohhhhh... another thing....Griz will like this one.....:D The right one will mount and run within one inch of the pipe....since the pipe is CF.....and the CF is heat tollerant up til 400 deg. F.... I can utilize the otherwhy "dead" space. This is one of the reasons I wanted to do this..... I think it`l look awesome conforming to the CF pipe......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers......looks like the left side forward will be just that...... Chair......hmmmmm....now you got me thinking.......

Erling
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Properly super strong...... The 3/8 inch SS rack is designed to be the "airbag" here......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  18. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing you may consider for some spare fuel/water may be to incorporate a way to mount some a Rotopax on either side instead of building in the capacity for a liquid. With an area for fuel/water you would really need to put some baffles in that area and a drain and a fill/vent valve. Plus this way you could remove them when not needed.

Also a consideration may be a way to incorporate a housing for some MSR bottles for camp stove fuel or just for spare fuel.
    [Sorry 205 from MotoRiley ... somehow I missed that].

This is going to be something I'm very interested in watching the progress of as I kind of had this idea after your skid plate even though I have some Jesses Safari's.
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went on a ride a few months back in Magdelena,NM......( jake....I`m sure your watching this)..... One guy in the group on a 990 had two of these mounted up. I liked them a lot..... I was just thinking about incorporating the fluids in the bags....... Perhaps it`s a waste on everyday commute......So.... perhaps a SUV..... ( storage utility vessel) is in order.
    Some sort of containers that can be exchanged for the purpose they serve.... I tend to agree with the fact that unless you need it.... Don`t waste the space..... So perhaps fuel goes on the out side.....Water is always needed....so it could go on the inside.....along with tool kit.
    But the most important part here is....that this can/will be made to order.... There are no one particular bag that will suit everyone. Simple fact is that different people have different needs. So whatever I settle on.......can be made different for others. So don`t be discouraged upon what I settle on.
    Everyone can make their own....to suit their own needs......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  20. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I think you can lessen the crash loads (which would lower the mount strength requirements ) by rounding the corners.
    In Coonass's picture (below) see how the outer lower corner dug a hole? If it was rounded it would have produced less load during the crash because it would slide instead of digging a hole as it tries to stop the bikes forward movement.
    While square corners look like they are easier to pack, must of us just stuff cloths in cloth bags that fit inside the saddle bags. This type load don't care if the box corners are round or square, it will just conform to the corner as you stuff it in. I used to pack on a Buell Ulysses. There was not a square edge in those bags :D