Carbon/Kevlar rear luggage boxes.....It has begun....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jan 8, 2011.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wide load......:rofl:rofl.... No offense taken.... It is wide..... But.... the 28mm camera lens....really magnify this. It does not look that bad....well....except for the pink......:lol3......Another reason for the "wide load...:D" is the capability to mount the rotopax fuel and water cans ( 1gal) behind each box. The Rptopax are a little over 9 1/2 inch wide.... I did not want them sticking out in the slip stream....and neither in the line of fire of the exhaust..... Anyway..... It has been cut...to what I think will be final answer......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wow...... the angles are much more predominant than the 28mm lens illustrates...... This is wicked......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    El Paso.....Sadly so....:D
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all...... It curves backward.... You can seat two up at over 6 feet....no issues....And it`s the best grapper....when putting the bike on the center stand.........:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don`t feel so bad now.....:lol3:lol3

Erling
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know! I had to take that pic down cuz it's actually not that wide given the width of other manufacturers!:D

Good work my friend. Good work!:clap

Looks great.
  6. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the rear of the varios are about even with the signal lights.

David
  7. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Did you weld that rack up yourself??

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. It basically has a built in top rack too!

What is the thickness of the tubing and what is the measurement of from top to bottom of the loop where the boxes mount?
    DirtyBob likes this.
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D......I actually liked that picture alot......So I wont mind at all if you decide to put it back..... :clap:clap

Erling
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow... they look every bit as wide..... Makes me think of the color..... Black.... Perhaps I should stick with Kevlar...... Yellow boxes......:freaky

Erling
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers...... I did..... It`s made from 1/2 inch SS tubing..... All it took was a tube bender...... A entry level mig....can of argon......and ehh.... Espresso.
    The tubing was abou $65 at http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=468&step=4&showunits=inches&id=19&top_cat=1
    The height on the loop is 8"....length is 12".... But you can off course make it to suit your needs. Yep....top rack ,was the biggest reson I did this.... My fam only has one minivan.... Guess who drives it??? So all I gotta do is on two wheels.... So I had to make a utility rack.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks......except for the welds...... I wished for a tig for christmas.... But instead got a new espresso machine......Ohh...well....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your right.... When you take a step back...it`s not that bad.... Except for the pink...:lol3
    [​IMG]

Made a jig for the setup. That will make it easier when you lay down the composites......
    [​IMG][​IMG]

All ready for the Kevlar tomorrow......
    [​IMG]

Until then... I`l sip a few shots of espresso....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm surprised he's held this build to the width that it is.....from the guy that cant just order a 8 or 12 oz prime rib....he's gotta custom order a 20 oz....and still mooing...

[​IMG]
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    OMG......I forgot you took that picture Jake.......:clap:clap...... You made me drool all over the keyboard......That was a great steak....and a great ride eh.....:freakyNow just for the record...... the shoulders you see ...next to me....and the other 8 people....ate that awesome moo-moo.....as well..... some even that 20 ouncer......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  15. The Griz

Oddometer:
    For you, Erling!:D

[​IMG]
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :bow:bow.......Awesome...Thanks Griz...:thumb:thumb

Erling
  17. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would use the space to the inside of the boxes - especially on the right pannier - there's a lot of wasted space on both and because of the material you are using you should be able to make what ever shape you would like. I can see a "wart" on the right side made for infrequent use items like a tire repair kit and tools. I might have missed it, but how may liters are these shapes at this moment?
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As with any design I make.... I always leave room for the future...... These will be the basic boxes...... After I make them....Including the lid...hinges and locks..... Then it is easier to absorb and decipher how to proceed. Indeed there are a lot of space...... And perhaps it will be used. I don`t have a clue as to the volume..... But at 36x37x20cm=26.64 liters... take a few away for the angles.... perhaps...22-23 liters...each....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad news........ Went to cut the Kevlar for tomorrow`s jigger.... and only had 2.2oz..... I thought that was a 6`ish oz roll..... Darn..... 2.2 oz plain is a type Kevlar 49....which is great....but I prefer the thicker 6 oz when trying to conform...... It flexes ( weave pattern...not the Kevlar itself) and I would have to lay down 3 times as many layers...... I`l have to order it in the am....which means.....nothing for a week or so...... Sorry..... :freaky

Erling
  20. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    Ahh well. We'll be patient then.