Carbon/Kevlar rear luggage boxes.....It has begun....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jan 8, 2011.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be waiting. :*sip*

Awesome work!
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Restless.....as I normally are..... I had to do some composite work..... So I grafted a pair of top spoilers for the hand guards.....Just to keep the knuckles out of the wind......:D......Arrggggggg... The wait.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D:D..... Sorry to dissapoint.... I just made a couple of spoilers for these hand guards......
    [​IMG]

It will rise the protected area by about 2 inches..... to protect the knuckles a bit more..... I`l mount`em tomorrow.....:D:D Perhaps them we can both drool together......:freaky

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. Davis53

Davis53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to watch this one!
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap...... Shipped today..... be here Monday...next week..... I`m going To Carlsbad,CA this Friday to Tuesday...... So I would not have been able to do anything until then anyway..... The spoilers for the hand guards are baking as we speak.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  6. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Being completely drunk at the moment, I would like to say I want to see this build too!!

Having a tiny bit of carbon fiber pre-preg experience, I would also like to see the pattern you are going to cut out, with respect to the bi-directional (90 deg) fiber you will use.

Creating a box out of foam is one thing... knowing how to lay up the layers of fiber and the geometry of those layers is a whole different story.

:freaky
  7. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Ebrabeak, Coming from an off road background, I would fear having Carbin fiber for hand covers. In an "over the bars" event they might cut your hands off :(. The plastic ones would bend before cutting skin.

Maybe use some plastic bolts or rivets to hold them on giving you a shear point. Or maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Just my thoughts.
  8. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Not to worry, the cabon* fiber hand guards should flex and destroy themselves in relatively the same force as the plastic ones. If the edge is managed and not super sharp there is not much to worry about. Carbon may be more rigid than plastic but it is true only when the carbon is laid in a manner conducive to such behavior. :D
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I saw your post.... I had to pour a shot of Linie Aquavit....( Viking bitter)....Just so we are on the same twig...:freaky..... Yeppers..... You have to get the planets aligned.... well ...perhaps not that severe.... But I get to practice the first two layers with Kevlar49..... Yay....:clap:huh...
    Then 2x2 CF twill.... Just because it looks cool....and after putting it under my spell several years ago.... It behaves nicely around me.
    Patterns..... Not quite sure yet.... But I`l post pic`s..... Cheers....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok.... Not looking as cool as I thought.... But It`l do the job......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Erling
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Valid point...... Which is why I use this epoxy/CF combo........

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x16/ebrabaek/?action=view&current=MVI_0977.mp4

Edges and corners are nice and round...... as well. The above video is of a header heat shield.....there are only two layers of CF in that.....and 4 in the hand guards.... Flexes about as well as plastic.....and has memory.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    we used an epoxy in our racing bodywork and it was the most flexible on the market. I can't remember the resin but the hardener was an ancamide from air products
  13. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed
  14. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    It was the shots of Gammel Dansk that always warmed me up. You have to be pretty tough to keep a straight face while drinking that.
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Fav.....Gammel Dansk...... Aquavit is a bit mellower..... But Gammel Dansk....will warm any man..... Better than a campfire...... A very acquired taste.....well....out side of Scandinavia.....:D:D

Erling
  16. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry... off topic, but:

"Gammel Dansk is an extremely popular alcoholic beverage in Denmark, which is often drunk in the morning with the breakfast meal. Its name translates directly from Danish as "old Danish".
    Gammel Dansk is an example of what is called a bitters, and was originally used as a stomach cure or digestive. It is brewed with a great many herbs and spices, making it similar to other stomach bitters, such as Peychaud's Bitters, Campari or JSgermeister. These herbs and spices include rowanberry, angelica, star aniseed, nutmeg, anise, ginger, laurel, gentian, Seville orange and cinnamon"

Wow! My kinda breakfast juice !!!
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That`s what most say.....( non Scandinavians...:D)...until they try it...
    I like it a lot...... But I`m from there.....:freaky

Erling
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    After it`s done...... I will make a few structural honeycomb strips on the inside...... I thought about cutting the indentations in the foam, and just mold the fabric to follow....... But don`t mind the little extra time for the sammich layup..... and It`l look cleaner on the outside....and less areas to snag....when you collide it with the road.....:D:D

Erling
  19. Stymitshinks

Stymitshinks cowbeller

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just an update..... Still waiting on the composites.... Wont be here until Tue jan 18`th.... Il be in socal from tomorrow until said tuesday anyway.....:thumb:thumb

Erling