Carbon/Kevlar rear luggage boxes.....It has begun....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jan 8, 2011.

1. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    :happaycant wait that long!
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl.......
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    All right....... Got back tonight.... Composites came in.... Rotopax is in the house as well......So I`l start production in the am.....after a few shots of espresso........:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate Kevlar...... It is evil.....created to protect man....except when you lay it up....:eek1
    I started the process. Covering this subject.... There are a few thing's I need to cover. I am going to show a few things/procedures I commontly use....but as with anything.... there are hidden dangers....and You need to pay attention to what you do here..... Use common sense.....but if you torch your garage.....Don`t coma and blame me.... Or ADVrider.....:deal:deal. I have been involved with the composites industry may years...although not proffessionally for several years....but I have played with all the toys available to man or woman. The whole thing I want to illustrate, is how to do this.... without the need for those very pricey things.
    That said..... Let`s get on with it......
    I layed up the Kevlar and cut it to rough size.....
    [​IMG]

A not on shears..... You can buy the greatest Kevlar shears in the world..... They will set you back a pretty penny....and wear fast....soon needing sharpening.... So I just go to the depot and fetch a pair of Fiskars finest....
    [​IMG]

Then you can just throw`em out when they wear out.....

Then I put the Kevlar over the first box.........
    [​IMG]

Cut the pattern you like....... And it is important to note that there is no right or wrong.... But more like what you prefer.....
    [​IMG]

Then Lay that pattern down... and cut 3 more....for a total of 4.....
    [​IMG]

Then you need to organize your work station......:rofl:rofl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are an arsenal of good epoxy`s....and polyesters....... The stuff I use is great...but so is a lot of other stuff..... I chose to use a high temp epoxy....just because it is amazingly strong....more so than the non temp curing epoxy.... And the left one will mount right up against the exhaust pipe.... This particular epoxy is a 4:1 ratio....and I try to make the mixing to within 1 gram..... Resin....
    [​IMG]

And hardener.....
    [​IMG]

Then brush a layer of the epoxy on the plug.....
    [​IMG]

I then lay up one layer of the Kevlar....and just for good measure....add a little flap on the top front......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then add one layer of CF.....I just lay a sheet of CF down....and cut to size while it`s laying over the plug...... Adding a few extra pieces in the corners....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the final layer.....and then into the oven....... Here is where you need to be careful..... It`s cold in the desert..... and this stuff need to be heat cured at at least 250 deg.F. for a few hours....... So I build this makeshift box....to capture the heat, in the cold garage. I then use the heater on low ( 400 watts) The side facing the heater will get to 250 deg. F. while the other sides are about 125 deg. F. I simply just rotate the piece to get all sides cured. But as I said earlier.... watch out....and don`t torch your garage......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You don`t have to use the high temp stuff..... but I don`t mind the extra work....and will appreciate the extra strength.... It will now cure all evening....and tomorrow I will repeat the process with the other box...... Enjoy...:thumb:thumb:freaky

Erling
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few notes.......
    If you decide to do this job......:D... And use a epoxy which needs heat cure..... The foam I used will stay rigid up to about 250 deg.F. So the trick is to elevate the box to 250......and then after all sides are cured...... Then you remove the foam plug.... More on this later......
    After the cure.... I will remove the foam....and lay up one more layer of Kevlar from the inside. See....the finish is not good after using foam as a plug.....so bu layering one additional layer of kevlar....will smooth it out. And.... It`s way easier to lay up against the outside from within..... Than the composites from the outside. I`l then take a look.....to see if it need`s another layer....and add that after sanding....... Until tomorrow......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    He-He.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    What's our structure going be? Kev carb honeycomb carb?
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    There will be a few cross members made from 2mm honey comb... They will be added last......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  10. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious.... Will all the overlaps be visible once done, or is there more "magic" to be posted...?

Either way, i totally love your projects and talent man! Thanks!

[​IMG]
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I make rustic composites....but that would be pushing the limits....:rofl:lol3
    This picture was after the first layer....with one additional layer in the corners..... If you look at the picture in the "oven".... you can see that it looks different......after the second layer...... It will be sanded....and smooth....and very nice looking..... I promise. :D... Just imagine pulling up to a ride with those rustic boxes hanging of the side...... I`d get mobbed.....:freaky...

Erling
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    And....just so we can all sleep well tonight...... Sanded....ready for a final layer in the am......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Until then....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Show us your protective gear during sanding :D

I bet it will be entertaining :D I know when I was sanding carbon (in my very limited experience) I wore dirty long sleeves and pants in 100 deg Texas heat and a huge respirator. There is nothing worse than carbon fiber dust in your lungs!!! :huh
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear this....
    [​IMG]

That keeps it out of my lungs....... I then put a giant fan behind me....that blows all the dust away from my body....... Rakes up the Carbon Credits really fast....:D:D... Works very well..... Your right.... It is almost impossible to protect yourself with a full suit....that material will just work the carbon in to your skin...... Key is to evacuate the dust before it get`s to you.... Thus the prop behind me.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  15. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    ebrabaek, is wet sanding possible/practical?
  16. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    and how are going to get a good cosmetic finish on the outside?
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes....but not between layers..... Simply because you need coarse grit between layers....... and most wet sanding paper start around 200. And the fact that on the high temp epoxy..... it is so stiff that unless you use a electrical sander........ you will sand sand for days without getting anyway. After final layer of composites.....then you wet sand to your harts dislike.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know several of you are waiting for this....... You will see.....:D

Erling
  19. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I've been curious what the lid will look like and how it will be secured to itself and from prying hands. The only reason I use hard bags is security. Otherwise, they are sort of annoying. Carbon ones may not be though as they are light and don't need to be reshaped after every ride..
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fully agree with your statement....and like to add the additional crash protection they offer the bike. I have been going back and forth before moving on this project. I had a set of softies on the bike....and it works great....and it would stay like that....if it was`nt for security.......and serving as crash protection...... That`s why I finally pulled the trigger. As with most projects I start.....well....complex ones.... I have a rough idea of how it is going to conform..... but with that in mind.....there is room to expand/change..... But the lid will, for now, be fastened with 3 snaps and one hinge......That`s all I have for now. I figure....I`l get the boxes otta production first... :thumb:thumb

Erling