Carbon Offsetting [Serious Question]

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Osprey!, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question: What's the best way to carbon offset?

There appear to be lots of non-profits that will help calculate carbon emissions related to travel and happily take your money. But's what the best way (most efficient, highest impact, least corrupt)?

Please, don't turn this into a political thread. It's a serious question and it relates to travel planning. I don't want to see the thread kicked down to CSM.

Thanks
    -O
    Cheshire likes this.
  2. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best way to carbon offset

Plan a RTW trip and calculate the amount fuel required to make the trip

Each gallon of gas burned emits about 20 lbs of carbon dioxide

Then stay home
    JeepDawg, sieg, Wahoo_Limp and 8 others like this.
  3. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    20lbs per gallon of petrol is correct.

But I do enough planning and staying home, thank you.
  4. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    OK, I've done enough research. Here is what i learned.

1. Various online calculators can help you figure out travel related carbon emissions. Some even use airport codes to quickly figure out miles traveled and they are adjustable by class of service.

2. I concluded it's better to make a direct donation than to donate through an offset third party.

3. Donating to a non-profit that directly works in solar and wind made the most sense to me. I donated to one that is replacing carbon intensive and unhealthy stoves with solar cookers. At first it sounded a little silly and unimpactful, but then I did more research and concluded it has high impact. It simultaneously improves health, reduces risk to vulnerable people, and directly replaces fuel.

4. Here in the US, you can research the financial efficiency and many other metrics online using Charity Navigator and GuideStar. Check out the organization I chose HERE.

5. The trickiest part to this approach is figuring out a fair value to donate, relative to your CO2.

6. It's not a perfect solution, but it's far better than not offsetting or staying home. And I'm not staying home.

Happy travel planning for 2020!
    rrpaigs22, Edoz and HarveyM like this.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I think as a gift to the World in thanks for your travel you could pledge to recycle just as much stuff as you possibly can. I mean EVERYTHING you can. Perhaps also make purchases with recycle in mind, regarding packaging or end of use recycle. ALL things start at home with YOU...I wouldn't pay some organization...do it yourself. Be mindful constantly of the footprint you leave. It takes a lot of effort and a little money. Ride a motorcycle that gets high MPG, buy natural fiber clothing. Eat unpackaged foods. Turn off lights and heating when you are not using them, this includes motels/hotels....people disregard this often when traveling. Buy things that last, good shoes, good clothing. Donate to thrift stores. Think for yourself, don't pay an organization that are squandering monies in salaries, sitting in air conditioned offices getting $100k a year.
  6. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Buy things and food that didn't travel halfway around the world to get here!!!!!!
    Buy LOCAL!!!!
  7. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    CO2 just feeds plants, so make as much as possible for, larger crops, greener forests, and increased sea life, do some research, the whole CO2 thing is fake science. Commercial green house growers actually buy CO2 in bottles to raise the the CO2 for optimal plant growth, which is 1000 ppm, we are at about 400 ppm, so there is no risk of too much CO2, find something else to stress about. Watch YT Global Warming, especially Dr Patrick Moore, we are now at the lowest CO2 level in 4.6 billion years, and at the lowest temperature in 250 million years, don't be a climate parrot and just repeat false data.
  8. Hachiko

Hachiko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The U.S. Department of Energy says 40% of all U.S. co2 emissions are from heating, cooling, and hot water systems. It depends where you live.

I would look into a geothermal heat pump and solar water heating to see how effective they would be. My house is 1800 sq ft, but we could live in a smaller house.
    Motopsychoman and Osprey! like this.
  9. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    EVERYONE: This thread is about constructive ideas to offset carbon emissions related to travel, for those who choose to do so.

So, don't respond to trolls. I don't want this thread kicked into CSM. Just ignore them. This thread is not about debating climate change, you'll find plenty of that elsewhere.

Hachicko - I hear geothermal is a great solution, especially paired with solar. One of my friends just completed that process this fall and I look forward to seeing his analysis on payback, even before the carbon emission reduction.
    Stabilo_Boss likes this.
  10. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    This doesn’t have to be political, I’m a conservative and still think this is all important and basically common sense. Limit purchasing products that require massive shipping (China), don’t constantly eat at restaurants that throw away 75% of their food, etc.

We are all in it together...
  11. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with some of the comments above... be a good steward, limit garbage... by local...
    baldman1 and Osprey! like this.
  12. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been trying to do my part. Installing PV on the house in just a couple of more weeks. Bought a Chevy Bolt two weeks ago and scrapping an old worn out gas guzzler. Replacing some gas appliances with electric. Looking into solar hot water heating next.

Plus, I've always recycled/reused what I can along with minimizing water usage.

I've also become much more aware of how much unnecessary driving/riding I was doing for errands and have become much more organized about it. I plan further ahead and combine trips almost all the time now. I've cut my trips at least in half.

When I travel on the bike, I try to minimize prepared foods, eating out, motels/hotels, laundry... My main carbon impact is fuel. My G650GS gets about 70 MPG as long as I keep the speed down below 60 MPH. I hadn't thought about paying for carbon offsets.

What gripes me most these days is the huge quantities of non-reusable/non-recyclable packaging on everything. And our local recycling program now takes even fewer types of materials than they did in previous years.
    Osprey! likes this.
  13. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy life, travel, ride, install solar in your house. Conservation includes more than carbon. Leaving wilderness areas with no trace, upcycling, etc. can make as much impact or more than "feel good" offsets.
    DittyBag, baldman1, AwDang and 2 others like this.
  14. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Osprey! likes this.
  15. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    There's a way you can apparently elect for renewable power. My provider apparently allows it, so I'm going to be making the switch. https://www.arcadia.com/
    HarveyM likes this.
  16. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Serious question: How does a gallon of gas, which weighs about 7 pounds, generate 20 pounds of carbon?
    Charleetho likes this.
  17. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Carbon, in this case, is short hand for CO2 which is produced by burning the gas. Most of the weight in the CO2 molecule comes from the attached Oxygen.

..........shu
  18. JoeFab

JoeFab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But, but we can't live without carbon !
  19. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    Reminder: Don't feed the trolls. Just ignore. See post #9.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When that 7 pounds of gasoline is burned, it reacts with a significant amount of air. Gasoline does not have a specific chemical formula but is a variety of carbon and hydrogen compounds. The reaction that happens is carbon bonds to the oxygen, forming CO and CO2. The hydrogen bonds to oxygen, forming h2o. This is a very simplistic view and in reality it is much more complex.
    tlub and Osprey! like this.