Carbon Offsetting [Serious Question]

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Osprey!, Dec 20, 2019.

1. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Several years ago, our local EMC cooperative started offering 'community solar'. We decided to buy-in to 2 'blocks' of solar power. That project went on-line just a little over 2 years ago. Since then, I've been keeping close track of usage and offset. In that time, about 30% of our power has been offset by solar. The cost vs. cost savings has been right at even! So, for essentially no extra cost, we are getting some solar power. As new projects become available, I'll look into adding more blocks, hopefully to get it up to at least 70%.. The advantage of community solar is that I really have no direct investment in equipment; everything is maintained by the EMC. And since power production and usage are often not coincident, we don't have to consider storage; distribution of power production is also handled by the EMC.

I had considered roof-top solar, but our house is surrounded by tall trees that give us great shade in the mornings and evenings. In order to have efficient solar, we would have to remove many those which would increase our summer power demands as well as remove the carbon-sink benefits of trees! So community solar has been (I think) a better option. I just wish more power companies would consider this..
  2. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    What constitutes a troll? any opinion that disagrees with you?

Plants need CO2. They will die without it. Why do you hate plants ?

Good luck with your quest to virtue signal while being a polluter.
    Ectobass, knight, atc250r and 7 others like this.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    My offer still stands about my V8 4x4.
  4. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I am sitting here watching a Leonardo DiCaprio movie because my wife wanted to and thinking what hypocrites he and Arnold are when I saw this thread for the first time.
    atc250r and No-Fret like this.
  5. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminder, just ignore the trolls.

What they WANT is a reaction. Don't give it to them.
  6. Plattypus

Plattypus ADV wannabe

Oddometer:
    I think this is a brilliant thread, really good ideas going around :beer and irrefutably necessary, however hard some will try.

I'm going to try the tree planting idea, I think the only others I could contribute are packing light, losing weight yourself and slipstreaming... In my car I've been known to follow lorries and get around 90mpg (uk mpg), without too much impact on journey time. Otherwise I'd be looking at about 60-65mpg, so it's a big improvement in fuel efficiency if you're crunching miles. Just not the best view!

obviously don't get too close ;)
    Osprey! likes this.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    by law renewable energy Must be bought by the Loacal power companies, an offset is then Added to Increase your power bill to pay for these costs. Besides the taxes to pay for the fed. govt support of these programs , also everyone has admin costs. which determine their own salaries?
  8. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Are these carbon offset credits and green funds the equivalent of buying an indulgence from the church in ancient times?

Releases the guilt, heals your soul and lines someone’s pocket ;)

I think if you live modest (ex: live in small dwelling, live close to where you work, limit commute and travel, keep Same car for a long time, don’t buy new stuff until the old is really worn out) Live your life like this and a few RTW type trips will still probably make you less of a polluter than typical western person who (ex: throws Away stuff because it’s out of style, gets a new car every 3 years, lives in big house full of stuff they don’t really need but never takes time
    to travel)
    Mark Manley and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  9. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    Having paid to have solar panels removed and then reinstalled, I would deeply prefer community solar. A few years ago, a friend offered to sell me shared that they had acquired in a solar garden, but I couldn't get the math to work. Thanks for the reminder, I'll look into it again. It makes so much more sense than having panels on your house, above a composite shingle roof.
  10. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This thread started off as an inquiry about considering a carbon footprint as it relates to motorcycle trip planning. It is not a CSM type debate of global warming or the like.

I pruned some posts that were getting too far out.

The topic in this sub-forum relates to planning a trip. If you want to discuss global warming and the like you are welcome to do so in CSM.

Thank you in advance for keeping on the trip planning related topic going forward.
  11. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  12. SquirrelyGrl

SquirrelyGrl Squirrely Girl

Oddometer:
    Victoria Secret green pj's of Ponies & Puppies
    Recently, I too have come to change my POV on my personal impact on the planet.
    I'm comfortable with making the effort to live a more sustainable lifestyle.
    I personally enjoy the logistics that require me to be as efficient as possible, kinda nerd out with that a bit.
    I need to make a run to Simply Bulk in Longmont, I lump my errands to make trips longer, since I don't have many 'joy rides.'
    I rotate between the bicycle and riding the motorbike for commuting - as much as possible.

One of the best/worst parts of changing my lifestyle - is that I get to (unintentionally) change some lifestyle habits of
    my husband's. I purchase in bulk, ride my bicycle/motorbike so he can take my car (the 4-cylinder), make it a point to walk
    the dog in the neighborhood instead of driving the car .15 of a mile to the dog park, and I don't purchase
    meat, just to name a few.
    A documentary, The Game Changers, on Netflix did impress my husband at least to re-think eating so much meat.
    We both did a vegan diet for a couple weeks, but long term decision is purchase/eat less meat overall.
    In planning long trips, we won't have to worry about cooking meat or packing unsustainable goods that have a major carbon footprint.

One of my favorite presents ever, was my mini solar panel. I use it all the time, yet I'm not mathematically sound to argue either way if a small panel uses less energy than an outlet.
    But it charges the little lights we use on the porch or even walk through thru the apt, since it's so small (do I really
    need to flip a switch to grab a hair tie?). The Diamond headlamps for camping, rechargeable! Love it! No more worrying about those
    batteries (so far).

Interesting about the type of co-op for the solar panels - I'll have to keep that in mind.
  13. vfrmike

vfrmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When 1/3 of the world lives in extreme poverty, our 1st world carbon footprint problems appear somewhat vane and self serving. Helping folks get drinking water and food will have a bigger impact on the earth and one's karma than sending al gore money to jet around the globe spreading fear. Not trolling but folks in the rain forest than can't feed their family could give 2 shits about deforestation. Go to India and watch 6 yr old blind children begging and ask them what they are doing to save the planet. Staying at home will reduce carbon footprint second only to dying, but i suggest carbon footprint is a 1st world fascination not shared by the starving, sick, penniless that we never see. The earth will take care of herself and if that means human extinction in a few thousand years--sobeit, but right now we can feed others and that will make a difference. Off soapbox.
  14. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    Friendly reminder: The purpose of this thread is to discuss ideas related to carbon offsetting or reducing carbon emissions from an activity we all love. Pretty simple. The best response for trolls remains to ignore them.

Re: Simply Bulk. I've never heard of them before. The next time I'm in Longmont, I'll check out the store.
    http://simplybulkmarket.com/

Re: Solar panels. Our new house has solar hot water, which works very well when the sun is out. The PO also designed it to optimize passive solar and we're shocked how stable the temperature has been inside the home. I'm thinking about solar pv, but having paid to remove and reinstall panels on our former house (to replace the shingles), I'm reluctant to put anything on the roof again. When the backup generator is due for replacement, I'm going to revisit the issue. If prices keep falling and efficiency keeps improving, it could be time for PV + Battery Backup.

We were on a van trip recently and one of our camp mates ran his fridge off a small folding panel, plus goal zero battery. That might be an option for us instead of ice chests (and wet groceries plus frequent trips to get ice). We'll see what Santa brings in his sleigh this year.
  15. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Santa sleigh is cancelled this year due to COVID rules.

Or I have no money.
  16. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    A carbon recapture most ignore is grassland.
    A well managed grassland (dairy farm) in England captured 15 tons of CO2 per acre over 5 year period.
    Grass stores the carbon in its root system. Trees store most in leaves and wood. Fires release the carbon of trees much more than grass.
    I believe a 1000ft square of lawn will sequester 1 ton of carbon per yr or maybe a 1000 sq ft, I forget.