Cardo Packtalk Bold with JBL speakers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Drif10, Jan 17, 2019.

1. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the details. Very helpful!
  2. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    I use the bridge feature to pair in bluetooth older models and guys with different brands.. has always worked fine. Once again it comes down to your ability to use the unit correctly
  3. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    What is the range with the bluetooth feature? Nooby question, but that is a different aspect of connecting than cardo to cardo right? Bluetooth is the same function as how it connects to the phone or GPS right? It just treats the non-cardo unit as a phone basically?
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's using the bluetooth protocol, so it's not very far. Mesh/DMC has a longer range, but the real advantage is its ability to use each device participating as a bridge to greatly extend the overall range.
  5. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Well, the Noob is still working for us! 20% Booya!
  6. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think in part the pendulum of technology comes into play. Scala had its own stumbles a decade or so ago. My wife and I got fed up with constant issues and poor sound quality with our Cardo units ate the cost and purchased Sena SMH-10's to replace them. We swore at the time we would never look back and purchase another Cardo unit, but you know what they say about saying never. The pendulum has swung back in Cardo's favor now and I am researching the use of earbuds with the Cardo Packtalk Bold and Slim :)

In fairness, the Sena SMH10 was a great unit at the time and we still have them around today as secondary units. I replaced the batteries with some nice Cameron Sino higher capacity units I found online and they still work as well as they did when we bought them like 12 years ago. Only problem of course being 12 year old tech doesn't change with a battery replacement.

The 20s Evo isn't actually quite the exact same product as the 20s, but I get what you are saying. Aside from the antenna, I believe the Evo is USB 4.1 vs 4.0 for the 20s and a couple of other minor tweaks (slightly faster processor?), but for all practical purposes yeah, close enough.

In answer to the question about how people "put up with it" though, when you leave one company due to a poor experience and go to another where the experience is positive, sometimes it is hard to mentally switch gears back to the original company you had the poor experience with.

That said, the 20s Evo's have been problematic for us. My wife in particular and maybe from the fact that she wears earbuds and I don't. But every time we get into even moderate rain, her unit cuts out. It works again after it dries, but that takes time and the unit has become undependable. There is also that popcorn audio effect when you have more than 2 connected and we find with 3, if the third rider is in the middle upon initial setup, but along the way drops to the rear and then eventually out of range, my wife and I can no longer talk until he catches up. It doesn't seem to be able to shift the positions.

Earbuds: My wife is a big fan of custom fit iPlugz. Prices, especially for the dual driver model are high. But the fit is very good as is the sound. We both have a pair, but I seldom wear mine as I don't care for the wires. I instead usually opt for a set of filtered custom fits.

Trying to wrap my mind around going back to Cardo and trying to decide between Packtalk Bold and Slim :)
  7. NyNe

NyNe n00b

Oddometer:
    It's been a little while since I received and started using my Packtalk Slim. Here's a mini-review: I actually really like it. On the earbuds topic, yes you can connect any earbuds with the standard 3.5mm connection, but I personally have not done this because the JBL Audio included in the sets I received sounds great. The software updates have actually resolved the issues I've had with voice commands when I first got them. The Slim is awesome being as it's weight and wind resistance is very minimal. The microphone uses a specific (maybe proprietary?) connection so that can't be replaced with any old 3.5mm microphone, but I haven't had any issues with the included mics. On one trip for some reason I could hear my group but not speak, but this was resolved just by turning my headset off and then on again.

I don't have any experience with any other headset, but from my experience so far with my Packtalk Slim I don't feel the need to look elsewhere.
    Cuchulainn likes this.
  8. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    The microphone jack looked to be proprietary, or at the very least not a standard 3.5mm. I am glad the speakers use the 3.5mm. I was debating between the JBL and non-JBL version since Amazon sold the non-JBL cheaper. But from your review on the speaker, I think I will choose the JBL version. My wife, who prefers the earbuds, may find she likes the JBL along with the filtered plugs for her own use as well.
  9. NyNe

NyNe n00b

Oddometer:
    An additional FYI, the Packtalk (Bold or Slim) that ship with JBL audio come with a smaller speaker than the newly released JBL Audio kit that was just released (40mm vs 45mm). I was lucky enough to find some random coupon by google searching for Cardo Discounts and came across a coupon that made my purchase of the two set of Packtalk Slim with JBL audio from the Cardo site roughly the same price as what Amazon had the non JBL set for. At the time I ordered the 45mm kit had not been released.

You may want to see what coupons or promo codes you can find online that work during checkout (you'll know before completing checkout). I personally don't plan to upgrade to the 45mm audio kit because the ones I have sound pretty good. I'm off to go for a ride right now actually!
    dpawlak and Cuchulainn like this.
  10. Cuchulainn

Oddometer:
    Yammi seemed to work on a single unit, but every time I try to add the Packtalk Slim Duo I keep getting an error message that my cart is empty. Thanks Cardo, but I am *really* trying to make it *not* empty. Can't tell if the coupon code will work for that until I can get them into the cart :)
  11. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a coupon code that will work for the 45mm speaker upgrade? Yammi doesn't work today.
  12. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those with the JBL version...is there adequate volume from the unit while wearing ear plugs and riding at highway speeds (75-80)?

Thanks
  13. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I bought them 2 weeks ago with that code and it worked then. BTW the code is "Yammie" with an 'e' on the end.
  14. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Bold or Slim JBL, do I understand correctly that if I find the JBL's are not my cup of tea (not loud enought at speed or ...), I can use my wired earbuds and simply plug them into the unit where the JBL's would connect?
  15. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sound when listening to music is decent, not great. You can forget about hearing the intercom. The volume at full is quite low when using earplugs (33NRR), so I'm looking for a solution. It's the reason I looked into this thread.

So far I'm going to try ear plugs with a lower NRR (~20) and a pair of filtered musicians plugs. I really like the unit save for the volume level. These communicators seem to be designed with the assumption a rider does not use hearing protection. Of course without ear plugs I would imagine you would hear nothing as wind roar is brutal.
    Buckeye Rich likes this.
  16. HYLYNDYR

HYLYNDYR naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer:
    Have you tried using the phone app and played with the sensitivity settings ? Have you tried turning the sensitivity off at all ? I hear my Bold fine using 33NRR plugs on the highway ? Maybe your helmet sucks ?
  17. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, "Yammie" does work, Yammi does not.
  18. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try adjusting the Sensitivity levels, thanks.
    My helmet is a Shoei Hornet 2 which presented no issues when using the supposedly inferior Sena SMH10. The Sena's main problems were short battery life, old tech and while the speakers were loud enough with intercom the sound quality was rough. The speakers seemed overwhelmed by the rider's voice thus garbling the communication, and there was a ton of background/wind noise.
  19. Cilantro

Cilantro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    X2 I'm also wondering if this would work?
    Chipk likes this.
  20. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    Use musician's earplugs like the ones I have linked below. It might take some doing to get the right size, but this is The Solution. Perfactly clear audio including voice and music, muted 'noise' sufficient to protect hearing. Search Amazon for 'musician's earplugs.'

I personally like these
    cjmadura likes this.