Cardo Packtalk Bold with JBL speakers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Drif10, Jan 17, 2019.

1. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They plug in to the headphone port, not the speaker connector. In theory you could have the speakers installed, but use headphones only when you wanted.
    Chipk likes this.
  2. griemak

griemak n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes. Two wires come from the harness. One is a proprietary connector for the microphone. The other is a standard 3.5 mm stereo audio female jack. Any earbuds, speakers, headphones, etc. that has a 3.5 mm stereo audio male plug will work. The JBL and non-JBL speakers that come with the unit in the box terminate with a 3.5 mm stereo audio male plug.

As for volume, once I positioned the speakers correctly, while wearing ear plugs, I have the volume at roughly 40-50% and can hear music, intercom, GPS, and phone calls at 85+ mph. I had to play with the Cardo Connect setting the individual volume levels. Default, the "phone" was higher than the others.

I'm currently battling discomfort, may have to break out the knife and carve a bit of foam out of where I have the speakers mounted. I have an HJC IS-17, it does not contain speaker cut-outs.
    Chipk likes this.
  3. Cilantro

Cilantro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense, thanks.

Not to derail the thread- but, how well does the Cardo bold get along with a modular helmet? How does the mic wire get routed?
  4. griemak

griemak n00b

Oddometer:
    A boom mic is included in the box with two sticky velcro mount points, same as an open face. Half helmets require an adapter that solidifies the boom to the unit instead of the helmet.
  5. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. I actually ordered a similar product from Amazon yesterday. I figured if I reduce the NRR I might be able to hear the comms better while still keeping the wind roar down at safe levels.
  6. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m a Cardo convert after using Sena for many years. Been using the Packtalks for a few years now. Just recently bought the new JBL Bold. Best system to date bar none.
  7. MoneySlide

MoneySlide Tall Teller of Tales

Oddometer:
    Is there any pros or cons between the bold and slim models. I just got rid of my sena 30K and looking to buy a Cardo
  8. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tested the 20 dB musicians plugs today. At first I thought the wind noise sounded just too loud for comfort, but when my ride was done I realized the harsh, truly loud wind noise was gone and I was only hearing a low-pitched rush of wind - not bad at all. The radio was super clear and I needed to lower the volume to a comfortable level. I think I found my solution, so thank you!

As a bonus they are much more comfortable than the foam plugs I've used forever, and easier to insert to boot!
    HYLYNDYR and dietDrThunder like this.
  9. CharlesH

CharlesH Support those who support you.

Oddometer:
    "No noise" ear plugs are my favorite. Haven't used with my packtalk bold yet though. Still have to install it to my helmet.
    Themastermike likes this.
  10. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both units are the exact same functionality wise except the Bold has a little better range. Also check that the slim battery will fit your helmet in the rear. Other than that, it comes down to which form factor you prefer.
    MoneySlide likes this.
  11. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as provided by Cardo (since its not in any of their documentation, but this feature has been available since 4.2)

* This new feature will allow you to use your bike’s infotainment system (Such as BMW’s TFT and similar systems) or a 3rd party GPS device, as a connecting platform between the phone and your Cardo unit.

1. Pair cardo to BMW navigator (GPS Mode)
    2. Pair Phone to BMW navigator (uncheck phone calls in the list)
    3. Pair cardo to TFT
    4. Pair Phone to TFT

Still waiting to hear back in regards to doing this with a GPS as the connecting platform. Hopefully their 2 day support doesn't take 14 days again. :)
  12. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Sena is currently wired to the mounted speakers. When I want less road noise I put my earbuds on and plug then into a different 3.5mm input on the unit and do not have to unplug the speakers.

Sounds like with the Cardo I have to choose one or the other or can I have both connected at the same time?

I also play music from my phone (via Bluetooth) from any source, Pandora, Spotify, any app on my Android, will I be able to do the same with the Packtalk?

Thanks
  13. Daechir

Daechir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With the packtalk you need to use the same connector. So you can't connect them at the same time without a splitter. But you keep your waterproofing.

And I can get my packtalk to accept any music source, from my phone and even my LCD from my motorcycle. It's a bit of a change but I came from a sena 20s and I'm not going back.

Hope this was helpfull.

Grtz
    Chipk likes this.
  14. Chipk

Chipk Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it did, thanks.

Glad to hear you like it, I'm coming from a 20s as well and looks like I would add that splitter.

Did you get the bold or the slim? Unsure, from a few comments, if the slim battery would bother me or not on my xd4 helmet...

Chip
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed the Packtalk Slim in the Klim Krios Pro?
  16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I switch back and forth between my earbuds and speakers. I just unplug the speakers and plug the earbuds in. It's super easy. I do need to adjust all the volumes in the app when I switch because I have them maxed with the speakers, and at about 20% with earbuds. Even with the volumes in-app set that low, I still have the master volume control (little wheel on the headset) at the lowest setting.
    Chipk likes this.
  17. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Bought the SmartH last weekend and installed into a Tour X4 (XD4 for you). The local cardo suppliers obviously have excess stock because the SmartH is less than half the price of the Slim or Bold, for essentially the same piece of kit as the Slim. (I believe they simple re-released the SmartH as the Slim. Slim has added/better voice commands though)

It installs pretty easy, The battery pack is not noticeable when riding, but is noticeable when you put the helmet down, it seems like it could tip over more easily so just watch out for that.
    I feel it a bit if I am standing and purposely looking up more than usual. It touches my Neck brace. I don't think it's a problem it's just a slightly reduced ROM that I am not used to. Will probably go for a proper ride this weekend and see if it actually bugs me or not.

Excuse the dirty helmet and old sena mount residue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I got both the control unit and the battery sitting more flush with the rim of the helmet after those pics. Takes more force than you think, just be careful haha. I used the long clip for the rear and the attachment without the rubber piece (you'll see what I mean if you have the kit in your hands)
  18. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    If the pricing was the same, I'd probably get the Bold though. Just seems simpler. But for half price.....The SmartH suits me good.
    Chipk likes this.
  19. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The biggest reason I chose the Bold over the Slim is the ability to pop the Bold off the helmet and charge it from my battery pack in the tank bag while I'm riding if needed.

BTW, I just got my JBL speakers in the mail, I'm hoping to get them fit into my helmet and try them out today!
    Themastermike and Chipk like this.
  20. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    That is true as well. I thought the control unit could separate from the whole setup on the slim but it can't. The battery life seems really good though so charging at stops is fine for me.