Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen lint or debris in the charging port preventing a solid connection on older units, yours is probably too new to have this issue, but worth checking......good luck
  2. Jibby

Jibby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that not all micro usb cables work with the PTBs. I have plugged in some cables that seem to go pass the point of connection. I tried several until I found the cable that came with the unit.

It is weird that not all cables work.
    LiquidSilver likes this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ☝️ make sure you are using the cable provided with the units.
    Then buy a replacement set on your credit card today and return the problem units as directed. Within a couple weeks your credit card will zero out and you’ll be off on your trip having a great time with these awesome coms. this is what I would do.
    No way I’d go on a trip without the coms. It would significantly effect the whole experience.
    jb882 likes this.
  4. Zubb

Oddometer:
    By the way, this is why I try to buy everything on Amazon. No hassle returns and refunds.
  5. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I have 3 other riding buddies that use PackTalks, and one of them had the micro USB port break off of the board. He had it soldered back on. I would bet that is what has happened. His issues started with charging issues because of the poor connection.
    I hope they update the next version to USB C. Or maybe some type of magnetic connector that won't put as much stress on the connection. I am so sick of micro USB stuff breaking.
    rider1150gsadv and bigjohnsd like this.
  6. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    The fragile micro USB port breaking is a very common problem with the Packtalks and for this reason lots of users install aftermarket magnetic USB adapters. I have them on both our Packtalks and my tablet. The exact one I have is no longer on Amazon but there are others.
  7. Zubb

Oddometer:
    What is this magical device you speak of ???
    If I could charge my PTB like I do my iPhone . . . . that would be awesome!

More info please...

Edit: found it HERE. Looking forward to see how this works in a couple days. My hope is that it will be strong enough to charge the Cardo while I'm riding since I do some very long days.
  8. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Yes this is the same concept as the ones I have.
  9. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 2014 Yamaha FJR1300

Oddometer:
    One thing to watch for: when you plug in a Packtalk to start charging, it shuts off. No "goodbye", no tones. It shuts off IMMEDIATELY. You can then turn it back on and use it while charging, but let's say you bump the magnetic connector while it's charging: the Packtalk will shut off, and unless you were playing music and notice it stopped, you may not immediately notice the PT has shut off.
    Zubb likes this.
  10. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that 'heads up'!!
    HAL 9000 likes this.
  11. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Also - a note about the red light - if the unit is already charged and you plug it in, the light will come on briefly, then go out. This might lead someone to believe there is an issue when the unit is fine ( Off, and all charged).
  12. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, after 6 months, my Bold finally spit out the MicroUSB a couple of weeks ago. Simply pulling the cable from the unit, and the part came out on the cable end. To Cardo's credit, they replaced the unit pretty quickly, after the return of the old one, but it seemed odd that they claimed they didn't see this kind of a failure often.
  13. Candubrain

Oddometer:

so typical of manufactures to say that.
    Cuchulainn and Madman4049 like this.
  14. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Still struggling with Hey Siri to complete an action, it just sits there waiting for me to say more. My AirPods and Bose headset work no problem with voice commands, but not with the Cardo......I have given up
  15. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I find that I need to make it all one sentence: "Hey Google, send a text to ...." If I wait to hear the chime, the mic has already cut out.
  16. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a REAL hard time with all of the voice commands. I've watched the Company Youtube demo video's umpteen times, and I'm starting to believe you have to have that speech impediment or accent thing going on. I'm kind of wondering if they modeled this guys voice as it works great for him.

17. macuaig

macuaig Back in the Saddle

Oddometer:
    I’ve noticed that saying “Hey Siri” isn’t actually talking to Siri. It’s telling Cardo to repeat “Hey Siri” to the phone. Wait for a beep, then tell Siri what you want.

I don’t remember seeing Cardo instructions explaining this, so maybe it was a recent update. But if I wait for Cardo to beep back to me, it works every time.
  18. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I do....I believe it has something to do with the mic giving the impression its open and saying something
  19. SwiftTone

SwiftTone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am having trouble with intercom voice and Cardo voice commands on my new Cardo.

When I am connected to my buddy I can hear him talking but when I respond he cannot hear me. Seems like an intermittent issue. It was working for the first hour and didn't work after that.
    Additionally, Cardo voice commands seem intermittent as well. "Hey Cardo, battery status" was working for first half of the day and didn't work for the rest of a 2 day trip. However, "hey Cardo, next/previous track" or "volumn up/down" works every time.

When we swap our Cardo units between helmets, the problem follows the unit.
  20. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    A matter for Cardo Customer support, seems like a bad unit to me. Are you pairing each unit to your phone when you swap back and forth? Could mike sensitivity be turned down on the APP on your phone?