Cardo Packtalk Bold

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ubermick, May 8, 2018.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had that issue randomly happen. Muted on a ride with my partner, then did so for a little while when out with a group, before randomly turning back on. I’d transplanted the mic and everything from a different helmet and figured it was just a hookup issue
  2. motokeith

motokeith Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had my Packtalk for few weeks now and I am convinced the voice control works best if you talk sexy to it. Kinda cracks me up.

Heeeeeeeeey Cardo... How you doin?
    daesimps, I82l8 and Candubrain like this.
  3. daesimps

daesimps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s exactly how my wife and I have to talk to it. Despite setting the language to U.K., it appears to not like our Yorkshire accents.
  4. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I turned it off between that and google assistant it kept doing stuff I didn't ask for but yeah that's funny.
  5. JackHackett

JackHackett n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey SRTie4k, did you get anywhere with the intercom volume? My buddy and I switched a few months ago from Interphone intercoms to PTB and have really struggled. The DMC is clever but reliablity, support and intercom functionality are a step back from the Interphones we last updated 4 years back. The biggest bugbear is simply that the intercom doesn't go loud enough. Sure it works without ear plugs and at low speed, but the Interphone was crystal clear and understandable at 70mph and with ear plugs.

We do have a very odd issue though. My buddy can hear me fine - not as good as with the Interphone but fine. But my volume from him is low. My radio and music is fine - again less than Interphone but fine. But the intercom is hard to understand at speed with or without ear plugs. We experimented with obvious things like speaker placement but this got nowhere, which is not a surprise with only the intercom being unusably quiet.

Yesterday on a ride we swapped units and what do you know, suddenly I could hear way better. I expected him to say he couldn't hear me very well with my unit, but he said it was fine. Huh?!? So we have two units from the same DUO pack - both work fine for my buddy in his GT Air 2 but only one is acceptable intercom volume for me in my GT Air. I can't get my head around that!!

One thing with the Connect app does leave me a bit confused. I have intercom, music, the lot, maxed out at full volume. My buddy had his set to the defaults with only the intercom slid to max. Also, he tends not to have his Bluetooth phone connected, and by default my phone IS connected. Something odd seems to be happening. It is almost as if my PTB connects to my phone and although there is no music playing from Spotify, it lowers the intercom level. Intercom is set to the highest priority so I have no idea whether a live Bluetooth connection could lower intercom volume based on other volume slider settings. The descriptions in the app of the various settings can be a bit vague and I've not found any solid documentation to state exactly what each thing does.

I have also found that several times my "Automatic volume sensitivity" has reverted back to medium where it was set to high. Why?! Also, I can't figure out quite what tihis setting is meant to do. Does it adjust the highest volume that the units will increase to, or does it adjust how quickly it will ramp up the volume? The name could suggest either and there's no documentation to state one way or the other.

So after many journeys where we've regretted the switch to Cardo, we have now permanently switched units without any idea why it is different. We have now factory reset both units ready for a few more hours of testing to see if we can find any app or Bluetooth on/off setting that reintroduces the intercom problems on either unit.

It really shouldn't be this complicated. We used various Interphone units for a decade and they really "just worked". With the Cardos there seem to be a combination of slightly low output combined with poor documentation for the app that just results in a world of confusion.

For me personally, if someone were asking for my opinion, I'd say go with an old Interphone unit. OK so they are Bluetooth but they worked 100% for just two riders. We must have wasted 20+ hours fiddling with the PTBs and still have more questions than answers. Every ride, without exageration, we meet up and head off not knowing if the intercom will be usable.
  6. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately have yet to figure out why intercom is somewhat quieter than with our Freecom units. My buddy has to yell for me to hear him at speed, whereas with the previous units (speakers and mic unchanged) we could simply talk to each other.
  7. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The roller is your volume control. Whatever is presently being broadcast will be affected, but not anything else. Slider for that source in the app will only change as well and not the others. So the best way to handle is, play your music or whatever and set the desired volume level. Then have one of your buddies talk continuously so you can then adjust the comms volume. Do the same with the rest of the content.
  8. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    The volume roller doesn't really help at all when the volumes are all maxed out from within the app.
  9. mrmagloo

mrmagloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a very loud Harley with 121 S&S with True Duals, and I have zero issues with volume, and even on the highway. In fact, I find myself frequently turning the volume down. If you cannot hear the content at full volume, I think you need to start troubleshooting. First off, the speakers need to be directly centered on your ear, and set depth-wise so they are as close as you can get to your ears, and they still remain comfortable. Something doesn't sounds right as they can get painfully loud.
  10. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I never moved my speakers/mic when I swapped from Freecom to the PTB, they are the exact same 45mm upgraded set in exactly the same place.

Just out of curiosity, I actually disabled "Automatic Volume". After a restart, music volume is now painfully loud when cranked to max. I will have to test intercom when I have a chance.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Automatic volume is interesting because it keeps the speakers relatively low when not moving, but they get to Max output when underway at speed with wind over the mic.
  12. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Yes automatic volume worked fine with my Freecom. I'm not so sure it works correctly with the PTB, however.

I have noticed something weird with my PTB. When I finish my commute and get to work or back home, whenever I put my fingers up to the PTB to hit the power off combo, suddenly the sound gets really loud right before I shut it off. I'm not sure what the hell that is about, but I'm wondering if it's auto volume related.

I can't say I notice the volume increasing automatically when I started the bike and pulled away when automatic volume was on, though.
  13. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checking and disregard if you have already seen these.
    Although is video is specific for the PackTalk Slim, at 28:50 he talks about Cardo Packtalk Slim Solving volume issues

14. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a certain configuration that still elud
    There is a certain configuration that eludes me on this. There are times when my music is way too loud and then it will switch to being muted so quiet in the background that I can barely hear it. Sometimes I’ll ride for 10 or 20 minutes not really being able to hear my music, and then suddenly it goes to full volume. I am convinced it has something to do with the microphone sensitivity. I think the unit believes that my microphone is still Open like I’m talking. Which would naturally mute the music. But I don’t really know because I haven’t figured out how to resolve this issue. Part of the problem is you’ve got to have a buddy in another helmet with you as you go through all the settings when you do this. And quite frankly when I go out to ride, I go out to ride. Not a monkey around with my gear. It’s frustrating.
  16. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a new helmet (Nexx Wed2 Vaal) and the Packtalk Black. I've been frustrated for a couple of years now on long rides because my iPhone earphones kept getting knocked out of my ears when putting the helmet on and even if I do get them to stay in, people couldn't hear me properly when talking to them on calls.

It's not the end of the world to me if I can't make calls but I do want to be able to throw some tunes on when I'm doing multiple hours on the bike. Hoping the fairing I'm putting on the bike and the new helmet will be ok with the 45mm JBL speakers.

I'm not so bothered about talking to other riders as I do most of my travelling solo but it'll be really good if I do spend a day or two with others or in a group. I can genuinely see the benefits e.g. the front rider warning of oncoming traffic/ obstacles etc.
  17. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unrelated but please do a review of the Vaal once you get it in. I’ve been eying that helmet, 1450g in a medium sounds awesome.
  18. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    If auto volume is on I can definitely hear it bump up the volume in increments, But not as you pull away from a stop, it bumps up when you get to higher speeds say 45 and up.

Also as stated very early in the thread, your mic sensitivity has to be set to the lowest setting.
    I'm not sure but I think the two work together, the mic detects the level of background noise and the auto volume adjusts. So mic sensitivity makes a difference.
    Grinnin likes this.
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like @heatmizr , I notice the automatic volume working with wind noise.

If engine noise does anything, it's more likely to open the mic because the unit thinks I'm speaking.

Different frequencies? Different resonance in the helmet? IDK. The two sounds just don't do the same thing.
  20. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't you want mic sensitivity set to high if you felt like volume was too low most of the time? That way it ramps up volume faster.